Help appreciated fellas

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Blueskinnedbeast, Sep 24, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am looking for help on organising and planning my fathers funeral. He was diagnosed earlier this year with terminal cancer and at present don't know how long he's got left. He's an ex bootie who served for ..... Years. I can't give too much away on this forum as I know he reads it. Pleas pm me if you require service details which I would be glad to provide. Anyway, you know the saying, preparation prevents piss poor performance. I want to ensure he gets a decent send off to the great Naafi bar in the sky.

Any useful hints on funeral tunes? I've got a few, Nimrod by Elgar, Life on the ocean wave, was thinking also of playing sunset when he is cremated. Is this tacky and should be avoided? I know he's still in touch with a fair few of his oppos who I hope will be in attendance to give him a decent send off.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Sorry for such a shit first post!
  2. Heart's of oak, good and rousing !!!
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. I thought Heart of Oak was the Navy quick march. Technically RM are part of the Navy, but, Life on the ocean wave is the quick march of booties. Would it be acceptable to play that also?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

6. in all seriousness, you need to triangulate this - as Ninja says the RMA will be great, and some people on here may also have good suggestions, but given your dad's alive please consider having a chat with him about the sort of thing he wants if possible.

I had to deal with my mum's funeral last year and all she'd ever said was that she wanted a cremation. Nothing else. Trying to organise a funeral is stressful enough when you know what they do want, let alone when you're trying to guess and feeling guilty about whether or not you get it right.
  7. I'm looking for advice as my dad doesn't open up about ANYTHING. He's proper old school. Never shows any emotion. He didn't even cry at his own parents funeral. He won't even talk to my mum about it. I'm an ex pongo (don't hold that against me), so it's confusing to me to play a Hearts of Oak when it's not technically his quick march. Surely life on the ocean wave should be THE tune and no other!
  8. My sympathy, a very difficult task.

Organised my Dad's funeral later last year. He always liked the Sarie Marais march since it was very much in vogue when he was a bootneck. Have a look at this link

Hope it all goes well under the circumstances, no doubt you will do him proud
  9. Thanks for the heads up soot blower. Ninja stoker, thanks for the link to RMA. Didn't realise they would provide a bugler if one is availalabe. Just need to check with my mum as to how much of a military theme she wants for my dad. I know he loved his time in the Corps so shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping he gets a good contingent of his old oppos turn up. Which I'm sure will happen. I know at the back of his drinks cabinet is a bottle of Lambs Navy. Which no doubt will get hammered after the service!
  10. A life on the Ocean Wave is typically an American tune.
    There is always the navy hymn "Eternal Father" this has a wafu verse and it may even have a submariners verse.
  12. Ninjas link was spot on. However - and this may seem a bit cruel - the funeral will be for everyone else to remember him. If he has preferences before he goes then fair play - use them. But if he does not want to 'make a fuss' then it becomes the surviving families remembrance.
    Use the RMA option and use your own preferences if it comes to that. You come over as a good son who wants the best for his dad and that is all that matters.
    Booty or Pongo or Matelot (ok crabs as well) we all served (or still serve).
  13. Slim I know this quote is from Wiki but it is repeated in numerous other places:
    "The regimental quick march of the Corps is "A Life on the Ocean Wave", while the slow march is the march of the Preobrazhensky Regiment, awarded to the Corps by Admiral of the Fleet Earl Mountbatten of Burma on the occasion of the Corps's tercentenary in 1964. "
    • Informative Informative x 1