Helo Ditching Lerwick.

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Waspie, Aug 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shit.not good. Too often.

2. Hope they find the other 3. The super puma is a honking aircraft. Way too many snags with that thing.

3. Just been chatting with a mate and there is a history of gearbox probs with the Super Puma.

Hope it's not another G/Box prob - it will most likely get the fleet grounded. It was 2 miles out on approach when it occurred.

Lets hope the remaining three are found safe and well soon.

4. Screen shot of the location and units involved in the search for the remaining survivors.

Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 22.17.03.jpg

5. Super Puma? This is getting to be rather too frequent for that aircraft it seems. Last few were either gearbox or something rotor related wasnt it? Possibly a sign of a serious fault issue or perhaps the aircraft showing age?

Hope they find the missing. Once spent a few days near Lerwick including a day out on a boat. Weather can be horrendous.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. That aircraft is ridiculous. Was the last one not an issue with the rotor head popping off in flight? That aircraft needs some serious reassessing.

7. It needs pulled from service.

8. Certainly not the outcome anyone hoped. Thoughts are with the families of the lost.

The aircraft surely needs to be reassessed as to its safety and reliability, considering it seems to be the helicopter of choice of Rig transfer and the like.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Agreed, but it won't happen.

10. RIP to those lost. Thoughts with friends and families. Would say thats the end of the L2 in the North Sea.

11. Thoughts are with families of those lost in this crash. I wonder how long it will be before rig workers refuse to fly if CNC start using the Super Puma again.

Methinks the AIB will be very thorough on this one.

12. Condolences to all connected with those who were lost, RIP.

13. As much as the helo is shite, the "rebreather" life jackets they issue for the flight, terrify me. Top tip is stay near the door. I hate the mini bus lay out inside. Far too many seats in the way. I prefer an open can with parallel seating.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Interesting comments on Radio Scotland this morning - one from the MD of Helicopter Monthly and one from a local Union rep.

It would appear that this aircraft has an excellent safety record . . . abroad. It seems that these recent failures are more concentrated on the North Sea sector. And it should be borne in mind that at least one was a precautionary landing - there was a warning light came on and they carried out a controlled ditching and rescue. Turned out that one was due to a faulty light.

Considering the number of hours these work-horses are expected to make, these choppers seem to be no worse than their comparable counterparts. Travelling in this manner to get to your workplace always carries a risk, hence the BOSIET training that is now mandatory for everyone (with very few exceptions) going offshore.

And so far, we do not know the cause of this particular incident. As it involves tragic loss of life, there will be an even greater emphasis on not making any comments on this until the authorities are as sure as they can be that they have found out the "why".

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

On the news this morning: 2 pasboats have been chartered to conduct boat TX on and off rigs. I know my offshore mates prefer this option, why can't it be made permanent?

16. Transit times and unable to embark disembark. Just for info, rigs are only about 25 percent of NS infrastructure. Many Masters of vessels are venomously against boat embarkations.