Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Taffd, Apr 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. “Wake up.†Instantly my eyes open and I am wide awake and alert. It is pitch black, and despite the fact I am cocooned in my sleeping bag, I can tell it is freezing. No time for a lie in this morning, although my kit is packed from the night before, I want to re-check it before we leave. You don’t get many second chances in this game.

2. I got mates who are 3 brothers (only children of the parents) who are all now in the 2 mercian regiment army, they have been helmand province several times, the oldest had his ear drum blown due to a landmine hitting his vehicle, and the the lot have told me of being put in pillboxs (or the same kind) for weeks and months on end!! one of them walked across between 2 buildings being fired upon like he dont give 2 craps, its one hell of a place but we can not ever see the horrific injuries they recieve being in the RN, the army and RAF reg go through it all (plus the RM) the navy are on ships, true?
  3. Sorry no - not true

The RN are out there as SK4 helo aircrew and ground crew, Med staff, drivers, logs staff, ops staff and probably many more roles that we dont hear about.
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Most definitely not true, as well as all the roles mentioned above by ctf, there are:
    Stokers doing vehicle mechanic jobs.
    Lots of training staff jobs with local units.
    Contract manager jobs.
    Strange ones like WOMEA's in charge of Rapier batteries!!!!!WTF!!!!!

To name but a few that I'm aware of.
  5. With the exception of a few medics and RO's that are with 148,the vast majority of RN serving in Afghan have more chance of getting knocked over by a land rover in Bastion than even hearing enemy fire never mind getting shot at. All the matelots I have met out here are top blokes,they are aware that they dont suffer the dangers that the fighting troops endure.Not a hint of ''big timing'' from them at all.
  6. Don't forget 847 with the Lynxs.
  7. Of course - sorry............ and we should not forget that aircrew are very much in the line of fire - the Taliban would love to shoot down a helo
  8. It's good to bring it home to those of us who don't realise what troops are going through.
    We sit and read the papers or the odd documentary but we can't know so, keep it up.
    I'm full of admiration for all the efforts although I wonder where it will end and when it will end.
    Mind I suppose all soldiers in all wars thought that.
    good luck to you! looking forward to the next installment.Cheers