Hellooo & Medical Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Poppy_charlotte, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya I'm a 17 year old student looking to join the navy & go to the uni in birmingham to do nursing & eventually become a naval nurse.
    I have a concern about the medical test, i'm suffering from suspected endometriosis, and have a lapaosocopy scheduled for the 24th of february this year - is this a bar for me getting in or is it possible that I could get in if the endometriosis is cleared after the laparoscopy and i am no longer affected by it?
    Also, I had asthma as a child but it wasn't serious at all, however I had swine flu a year ago I think and my cough was so bad that although asthma was no longer on the records my mum put a special request in for it because my chest infection antibiotics weren't working, is this likely to hinder me too?
    Basically, am i best just not wasting my time? :?
    Thankyouu x

2. Welcome to the site. I can see why you want to be a nurse, you already know all the big words :wink:

One of the recruiters or Angrydoc will be along to give you an answer (or you could ask your local AFCO)

3. Hi Poppy C

Welcome to Rum Ration!

I'll return to the question of the endometriosis and laparoscopy later on.

In the meantime, could you tell me what you have in the way of GCSEs and what you expect to have at A Level please?

4. :D I haveee:
    English Literature GCSE– A
    English Language GCSE—A
    Music GCSE—A
    Music First Award—Pass
    Religious Education GCSE—A
    Mathematics GCSE—B
    German GCSE—B
    Art GCSE—C
    Science Double—2 x B—GCSE
    Food Technology GCSE—B
    CIEH Level 2 Award in Healthier Food & Special Diets
    CIEH Foundation Award in Food Hygiene
    Music AS Level—C
    Art AS Level—D
    Citizenship AS Level—B
    Biology As Level—C

& I am currently doing year 1 of a health and social care level 3 btec
    i switched courses from a levels to a btec on the advice of keele university because of the benefits of work placements in the btec, I'm currently on the waiting list at the nearest hospital for a placement as soon as im 18

oh, and I'm predicted distinction, distinction, merit :)

5. I may have misread your post, but you don't have endometriosis yet - it is suspected but that basically means you have bellyache which noone can get to the bottom of. Endometriosis is not unheard of in your agegroup but it is unusual. I'd hold fire on mentioning that word until it is confirmed by laparoscopy. Endometriosis is a nasty condition that recurs and keeps on recurring - such that if it causes problems at all (ie pain) then we are likely to reject the application.

Regarding the asthma - get down to your GP surgery, see your practice or asthma nurse and get a peak flow diary going now. You'll need to do it for a month or so - we can then make sure your childhood asthma hasn't progressed to adult asthma and that your lungs are working ok.

6. Thankyou for clearing these things up for me, so even if it is endometriosis - as long as it no longer causes pain after the surgery I may still have a chance? & I'll get on the phone to my GP surgery in the morning, thankyou! :D

7. I got diagnosed with endometriosis just before turning 20 and had it surgically excised. I haven't had any problems since then and got a mirena coil fitted during the op. I also stayed on the pill, because between my diagnostic laparoscopy and the op in which I had the tissue removed, I tried a contraceptive pill which drastically cleared it up. Being on the pill means I am able to run packs together to have very few periods. Even when I do have a period, it's very light and no more painful than I expect other people's are.
    I only stay on the pill because, like I say, it cleared it up a lot before I got it removed, but she said I'd also be fine just having the coil. On those hormones alone it's got no real chance of coming back.
    What do you think my chances are of getting through the medical?