Hello....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rachelthree, Jan 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have used the search button already, but well...I thought I would start a new thread rather than drag up some old ones or sift through a hundred or so pages, apologies...

I am currently at Uni, all going well I will be graduating in a year and a half, but it has just made me realise that joining up is all that I want to do. I am not a quitter though, so I am working hard to try to get a good grade, and also been working on my fitness so that as soon as I do graduate I can hopefully join up, even if there is a bit of a wait. Is it possible to start the process whilst in education? A year and a half is a long time but with waiting times as they are thought it might be good to get the ball rolling now? I am hoping to aim for Logistics Officer and have booked an initial meeting with the AFCO to see if I would be eligible, and if not then to be honest joining as a Rating would suit me fine too, but thought that I may as well aim as high as I can initially!

Also, what helps to strengthen an application? I don't mean what to just say to make them think you would make a great officer, but things I could actually do, more than up for volunteering somewhere, but not sure where would be of most benefit to my application? I sail for the University, and teach dance in local schools as a community/Uni initiative volunteering scheme, what else can I be doing that might seperate me from other applicants? I have always had an interest in the Royal Navy so probably know too much about it, my parents have always been involved in the military, running a half marathon in April, and I have an appointment to meet with the local Cadet unit who are looking for adult volunteers to help out. Anything else I can do? It is all I really want to do, and I am determined to get there whatever it takes!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. I think you've covered all bases, good luck.

And welcome to the site by the way, watch out for the pongoes.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

If you are visiting your AFCO, it's probably best to address the barrage of initial questions in their direction as they are best placed to advise.

To give a generic overall answer, the only way of being assured of becoming an Officer is by joining as one, so aim high & consider secondary options. Initiate the selection process 12-18 months ahead of your intended entry date as an Officer - for some Ratings branches you may need to start the ball rolling sooner due to the long wait.

To be a manager and a leader you need to acquire experience which displays evidence of potential to be further trained in that role. Some ideas include cadets, URNU, sports teams, Duke of Edinburgh Awards, voluntary work, membership of clubs/societies and civilian work experience.

Good luck.

4. Be nice to everyone, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My last MEO adopted that adage. Problem is, he got it the other way around.

6. Helpful! I hope you all fucked him over?

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hello Rachel. I know nothing about the Navy but i have some lovely hammers. Would you like to go for a drink?

Welcome aboard or whatever it is they say.

8. He's one of the Pongos Wrecker warned you about. He's not lying he's got some cracking hammers, you should take him up on this kind offer.

9. Just get her around my drum, I'll teach her everything she will ever need to know, and maybe a bit about the Andrew as well.
    Do they still do friggin in the riggin? No!! ... well I suppose the other two are out then.:confused:

10. Thanx, seems as if I am on the right track hopefully :D

Haha, tellar advice- though I grew up near an army base and live in Pompey now for Uni, so I think I have all of the military man bases covered, except RAF but you wouldn't, would you!

11. I am curious though, what hammers are? I would assume something, but as the 's' on the end has made it plural, I am stumped!

12. Could be a learning curve, I can do it from the front and the back, but believe they do it sideways. Curious????

13. **** me what a dirty devious mind. Typical filthy matelot.
    Being a refined sort of chap I just took it to mean a football team.
    Philistine:-D:-D

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hammers, for the use that SJRM_RN states. Sort of. I don't hit nails with them. I collect them you know, along with wives. Here's a picture of me;

[​IMG]

Now about that drink.......