Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by howfen_lad, Nov 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, this is just an introduction really. My name is James I’m 21 and I am on the waiting list for sea spec. I had my I.C.P in January, RT test and medical in February, eye test and fitness test in March and interview in May. All passed smoothly for me. I’m now just holding tight, keeping my head down at work enjoying the weekends and keenly following the threads on rum ration. Good luck to everybody waiting and thanks to everyone for the info that I have read that helped , most questions that need answering for a newbie can be found on here with a little effort in the search bar don’t you agree! And the jokes, pictures and Mickey taking are cracking. Cheers.
  2. Welcome to the site, a newbie wot can spull...excellent :wink:
  3. thank you. i do my bestest when it comes to spulling.. :wink:
  4. Greetings.
    A newbie wot can spull and knows what a serch bar is!! How refreshing.
    Welcome to the site James.
  5. Welcome to the site James.
    Enjoy the banter
  6. Welcome to Rum Ration, James!

7. Welcome James,

There's lots of information on here, some very good and some appalling advice. One thing is certain everybody is very supportive. Welcome to the RR community.

8. Thank you all and yes I agree some great advice but i'm lucky in the fact that I have family serving in the royal navy, some of whom are royal marine commandos and a number of school mates in the fleet so i've had some excellent advice/dits close at hand. Hopefully I can help a newbie one day, like i've been helped over the course of the distant wait for the gates of Raleigh! :D
  9. my piece of advice as a sea spec about to leave collingwood, is to start learning morse code, or at least the alphabet, so when it comes to sitting down on the computers your trained on you will finish all the exercises before anyone else, then you wont have to spend weeks stressing because you cant get past a certain exercise.
  10. Hi boxy. Thanks for that, you're not the first person in phase two who's mentioned getting a head start on morse code to me, i'm actually not looking any further than getting fit for Raleigh but as it's been said to me a few times it can't do any harm having a look at it I suppose. :thumbup:

Have you learnt anything in phase two you didn't expect for sea spec? By that I mean something that isn't on the job description.
  11. Hi! I'm newbie,too. I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thank
  12. Here's a head start shippers.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z.

Can't help you with morse though.

Hope this helps.
  13. :D :lol: I shall work on that, thanks mate!
  14. If your going to learn morse code then you may find it beneficial to learn the characters in the following groups:

You'll see patterns, IE EISH is 1 dit - 4 dits etc etc.
    The numbers all run in sequence.

15. Thanks for the info Chaz, had a quick look at that and it makes much more sense now! Grouping is the way :wink:
  16. sorry for the late reply mate been busy, honestly i thought morse code was just going to be the basic alphabet and numbers, but its not, there are also prosigns you have to learn aswell and punctuation (which im terrible at anyway) the main phase 2 downfall is the Fleetwork exam which putting it as basic as possible is steering the ship in formations and reporting it on to an officer, my job description from my careers advisor was you will shoot guns and drive fast boats which is true but was not told the full extent of my job which was learning morse code, learning flags and the meanings, learning tactical voice and seamanship.
  17. No problem at all mate thanks for the reply, and I actually chose the sea spec job because of the other aspects of the job you just mentioned, I am learning morse code best I can on my own and i'll take into account the punctuation aspect, got plenty of time to learn! I won't forget to keep all my focus on fitness and all phase one training though; sure thats the biggest thing to concentrate on anyway! Thanks for the advice boxy.
  18. No, no, no, no, NO!

You're going about this all wrong. It is customary for pre-joiners to come on here and instantly mllar about and make a monumental penii of oneself. Your ability to string a sentence together and posession of some kind of sense of humour is simply not acceptable.

Sort it out.
  19. and has a good looking wench in his picture :D
  20. :lol: Your advice has been taken onboard MLP, I shall take more time to make a complete penii of myself! i'll start by mimicking spacemans approach! what a plonkaaaaaa! :wink: