Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by p_viddy, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all

First time i have seen this site and it looked good so thought id register.

Just after some advice realy.

I am 22 and live in Derbyshire. Im fed up of the same old 9-5 job. i have been looking for a new career for the last 6 months and everytime i look a keep finding myself back on the Royal Navy website. Im realy interested in working on a ship not submarine. After putting in alot of thought i am now 100% sure its what i want to do with my life.... the only one thing stopping me is my partner. I love her to bits and i wouldnt want to risk losing her. i have not even told her im considering it yet.

How often and how long am i likely to have to be out to sea for?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 8)
  2. Hello mate..... sea time can vary. Days, weeks and deployments are 6 to 7 months! Why not try the Royal Naval Reserves? This involves the odd night, some weekends and a couple of weeks away training. This is all payable and theres a bounty pay of aprox £1600 if you complete your training every year. Look up the website it might be what you're looking for and good luck.
  3. Hi

All i know is that it depends on your trade and what the ship you are on is doing.

I do not think that there is any definite answer.

If it is that good a relationship then it will last (in my opinion). I have heard people saying that it depends on the individuals as to whether it will work or not.

Hope this helps
  4. Hello and welcome to the site :)

Tell her sooner rather than later, if she is the right girl for you then she will support you whatever you decide to do, wouldn't YOU support HER choices?

Have you though about what job you would like to do in the RN?
  5. Thanks alot for your replies... much appreciated.

I will have a look into RNR.

I know she cares as much for me as i do her. i just dont think it would be fair on her or myself for that matter. Sad isnt it haha never thought id be making life changing decisions around a women :oops:

gettin to see her every other weekend would prob be ok but 8 months 8O

hmmm :roll:
  6. 8 months is a lie by the way.
  7. Thanks Lamri

Yeah i would defo support her. Its general seamanship that takes my fancy.
  8. Welcome.

Female opinion coming up!

Why don't you ask the poor woman? She might even say 'Yes dear no problem, off you go.'

I presume its a new relationship, hence - I can't possibly survive being away from here for more than 10 days?

Maybe its not the life for everyone, but if its what you really want then do it, if she loves you, she'll support you. If she won't support you and its the life for you, then you have the wrong woman.

Yes it really is that simple. :roll:
  9. Welcome,

I sort of had the same situation, but at the end of the day its the rest of my life were talking about so im going for it!

Tell her too, i told my missus and she was suprisingly ok with it and supported my decision.

Only one way to find out, but then again you should be prepared for what she has to say :threaten:

10. Ask?
    Get a grip FFS.
  11. I did mean ask the woman's opinion - then ignore it as you no doubt would. :wink:
  12. My bold, sounds about right ;) Well i did as my missus wasn't keen as her dad was in and said she never saw him enough.

Oh well.
  13. Yes it is...

Shame if it is.
  14. Surely you should be dating matelots not pongo types! :tongue:

Welcome onboard. Don't forget your lifejacket as parts of this vessel are very rough and bring on seasickness. :wink: