Hello :)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mister_Behaving, Feb 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,

So recently I've been thinking of joining the navy, I've read up on it for a while now; I'm sure I'd be able to cope just don't know if I'm the right kind of person or the kind of guy the navy actually wants. So before I waste anyone's time at the office, it'd be nice if anyone could answer a few questions or queries for me please!

Being in the navy or any type of armed forces hasn't been my dream and never will be, although I am vastly interested and would enjoy being part of the team, it just seems other people have always wanted to do this and won't rest until it happens. Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than dedicated but is the navy a career (or lifestyle) people dream of pursuing since childhood and if so would someone who hasn't hoped of this for years be the right person? This is a relatively new idea to me so I am quite naïve towards the whole aspect.

I'm seventeen and quite well educated – nothing special – attending college but would be more than willing to drop out for an offered position. I work in a bar as general staff and once a week I'm supervisor. I enjoy and spend most my money on travel – last year I nearly missed my GCSEs' due to loving Malawi so much that I stayed there for three months and wouldn't leave. In the RN, I'd most like to work in hospitality/catering then eventually when leaving 5-10 years later join the airline industry.

I have plans! :sign10:

Finally, the Royal Navy is an equal opportunities employer or something like that anyway, off the record, how equal is everyone treated? Just out of interest, I’m thick skinned. Haha. I’m not a raging homosexual, just a moderate one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated; I do stress the naivety of my topic, apologise in advance and will accept all kinds of abuse. :threaten:

Thank you *Nods*

2. Stand By to hear from AAC.
    NZB

3. Seems to me me he just wants to do do 10 years "Willy Watching" in the RN and then perhaps a nosh marriage to some gay pilot. :pukel: :toilet:

4. It's on record how good the RN is as an equal opportunites employer. Ask Stonewall.

5. If you wish to be in the Royal Navy hospitality and catering it would seem that you need to join as an officer steward or cook. I don't know what your educational qualifications are but I believe that for either of these trades the scores are not at the top end of the spectrum.
    I can't advise you as to the reception you will get from your mess mates
    as I left before homosexuals were allowed to serve.
    best thing to do is give it a try, not everyone sees the RN as a career and many join for a short time for the experience and trade training.
    Many civilian employers are more than happy to employ ex serviceman often in preference to non ex.

6. being in the RN is a lifestyle never to be encountered out side the Armforces,if its a quick job for a few years forget it,you wont enjoy it,as for equal opportunities,whilst the Navy does respect equal opportunities you have to remember its a traditional service with traditional values, Jolly Jack has a differrent mindset to his civillian counterparts, and is also probably less tolerant of what is pretty much accepted in civvy street.
    Besides that it is a very good career,which has unbielavable benefets.

7. Fixed. :dwarf:

8. In my experience, there is little or no hostility, but a good deal of banter goes both ways. If you are precious, you will not like it, but if you give as good as you get, you will be fully accepted.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Here we go:

THE ARMED FORCES CODE OF SOCIAL CONDUCT
    POLICY STATEMENT

1. This Code of Social Conduct explains the Armed Forces’ policy of personal relationships involving Service personnel. It applies to all members of the Armed Forces regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, rank, or status. The provisions apply equally to members of the Regular and the Reserve Forces.

2. In the area of personal relationships, the overriding operational imperative to sustain team cohesion and to maintain trust and loyalty between commanders and those they command imposes a need for standards of social behaviour which are more demanding than those required by society at large. Such demands are equally necessary during peacetime and on operations. Examples of behaviour which can undermine such trust and cohesion, and therefore damage the morale or discipline of a unit (and hence its operational effectiveness) include: unwelcome sexual attention in the form of physical or verbal conduct; over-familiarity with the spouses or partners of other Service personnel; displays of affection which might cause offence to others; behaviour which damages or hazards the marriage or personal relationships of Service personnel or civilian colleagues within the wider defence community; and taking sexual advantage of subordinates. It is important to acknowledge in the tightly knit military community a need for mutual respect and a requirement to avoid conduct which offends others. Each case will be judged on its merits.

3. It is not practicable to list every type of conduct that may constitute social misbehaviour. The seriousness with which misconduct will be regarded will depend on the individual circumstances and the potential for adversely affecting operational effectiveness. Nevertheless, misconduct involving abuse of position, trust, or rank, or taking advantage of an individual’s separation, will be viewed as being particularly serious.

4. Unacceptable social conduct requires prompt and positive action to prevent damage. Timely advice and informal action can often prevent a situation developing to the point where it could impair the effectiveness of a Service unit. However, if the misconduct is particularly serious, it may be appropriate to proceed directly to formal administrative or to disciplinary action. Such action is always to be proportionate to the seriousness of the misconduct. It may constitute a formal warning, official censure, the posting of one or more of the parties involved or disciplinary action. In particularly serious cases, or where an individual persists with, or has a history of acts of social misconduct, formal disciplinary or administrative action may be taken, which might lead to termination of service.

5. The Service Test. When considering possible cases of social misconduct, and in determining whether the Service has a duty to intervene in the personal lives of its personnel, Commanding Officers at every level will consider each case against the following Service Test:

“Have the actions or behaviour of an individual adversely impacted or are likely to impact on the efficiency or operational effectiveness of the Service?â€

In assessing whether to take action, Commanding Officers will consider a series of key criteria. This will establish the seriousness of the misconduct and its impact on operational effectiveness and thus the appropriate and proportionate level of sanction.

PRINCIPLES

1. Sexual orientation is regarded as a private matter for the individual.

2. Knowledge of an individual’s sexual orientation is not a basis for discrimination.

3. Incidents which involve the possible commission of civil or military offences, or which come to a Commanding Officer’s attention through a formal complaint, will be investigated and dealt with in accordance with Service disciplinary or administrative procedures.

4. The Service Test contained in the Code of Social Conduct will be applied when there is any doubt about the impact on operational effectiveness of any particular incident.

5. The Armed Forces value the unique contribution which every individual makes to operational effectiveness, regardless of their sexual orientation.

6. The Armed Forces respect the right to individual privacy of every Serviceman and woman and will only intervene in the private lives of individuals where it is necessary in the interests of preserving operational effectiveness.

7. The new policy makes no moral judgements about an individual’s sexual orientation.

8. There is no place in the Armed Forces for harassment, bullying or victimisation.

9. Commanders have a duty of care towards all those under their command.

Good luck.