Hello to all!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theymademedoit, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I finally got myself registered! I have found this site to be the most helpful resource throughout the infancy of my selection process and now I am able to post I'm sure it will continue to be.

Let me introduce myself as this is my first post.

My name is Nik, I'm 24 and I have applied to join the FAA as an AET. I passed my RT yesterday with a 92 and have my interview and medical next Tuesday. I'm not so nervous about the interview as it is something that to some degree is within my control and I have been preparing for it as dilligently as I can. The medical however has got me completely spooked!
    I'm pretty sure I will fail as a result of being just over 8 stone, however I am making a pre-emptive visit to my GP to see what the best thing to do about this is tomorrow. :???:

So this leads to my question....

If I fail the medical due to being underweight will I have to resit the RT, go through the interview process again and wait for a long period of time before I can repeat these first stages of selection?

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :???: :???:
  2. hi
    when i was at college, I did the RT as part of my coursework. At the time the navy careers officer said that the RT test paper score lasted for 3yrs, and we all got certificates to prove it. now 5 yrs down the line I had to retake the test, now I think the 3yr rule still applies.
    eg the RT test paper score will still stand and you should not have to retake the test (as long as you passed) for another 3 yrs, but best check with your AFCO!
    as for being under wieght, see what the doctor says, the doctor has a BMI (or Body Mass Index) chart which is based on your height, weight and frame size. this is what tells them if you ar under weight, over weight or just about the right weight. the doctor will advise you what you need to do or not as the case may be.

hope this helps
  3. Better to be a racing snake than a fat knacker.
  4. i agree with that!!!

from ship_rat
  5. Weight off my mind! (My god that is pure wit!)

Okay so I weighed myself today on a really snazzy weight/height measuring device, which calculates your BMI by using a height to weight ratio. For my height (5ft 7ins) it states that I would only be underweight if my BMI was below 18.5. And you know what??? I came in at 19! Just to ensure I wasn't going mad I went to see my designated advisor down at the old AFCO and he actually informed me that it was physique that was mostly looked at, and as long as I wasn't emaciated then I would be fine!

So thanks for your replies and hopefully I'll pass the Interview and medical on Tuesday.
    -Speaking of which it mentions that it is imperative to learn about the history and traditions of the Royal Navy. I have heard of a game played by sailors called "**** on Biscuit", would you consider this traditional? LMAO.

No but seriously how much depth are we talking here?

We can't stop here! This is Bat country!
  6. Re: Weight off my mind! (My god that is pure wit!)

Hi there

What does this mean?? Just curious as i'm off to the Physical soon.

7. Let's get physical!

Okay matey heres the skinny.... (no pun intended)

Basically I am 5ft 7 and I weigh 8st 10lbs, which gives me a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 19. I have no fat to speak of but I would not consider my physique as emaciated. (e.g ribs sticking out etc.)

Check out this site it has a BMI calculator you can use just enter your Height and weight: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

I hope this helps and the best of luck!

We can't stop here! This is Bat country!
  8. OK - these BMI test always tell me I'm obese BMI 31 (6' 1", 17st) - but I am quite muscular with some safety padding!!! :roll:

Am currently off the pies and losing weight and running like a mad hamster on a treadmill.

Good luck luk with the rest of your application mate.

9. I'm pretty sure you will be fine mate. :wink: