Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hello Sailor

thank god im not in todays navy i have nothing against gays everyones lifestyle is up to the individual concerned my only fear if i were serving today is that the powers that be would make it compulsary.

Quite possibly, today's Navy would have no place for you then. Nor would any Navy, seeing as we have always had homosexuals, just not legal ones. Did the change from sail to steam cause problems? Course not, just for the ones that want to appear old and bold and rattle on about the good old times that never really existed - unless you include the mess initiations which always seemed to end in borderline homosexuality that was written off as "bonding" or "horseplay".......

The British Legion is teeming with the "not in my day" crowd, which is why they have such trouble keeping their branches alive.

Well I will have to disagree with Pompey Sailor on that one, the good old times did exist, there was nothing to beat a showing the flag deployment round the far east and I agree with higthepig all this PC crap is enough to make an old salt vomit up his pint down the Legion.

I wrote
I’ve yet to see how Officers and Seniors will handle Ladies’ Night Mess Balls with a pair of chaps.

And Fighting Sailor replied.

It was the 'Ladies'' part of the event title I was referring to FS, not the reaction from mess members. Is there a case for renaming the event to something more gender and sexuality neutral?

Seadog removes tongue from cheek (fnaar).

Jack's party tricks may be borderline homosexual Pompey Sailor but Royals' are full on nosh.

Seadog said:
I wrote
I’ve yet to see how Officers and Seniors will handle Ladies’ Night Mess Balls with a pair of chaps.

And Fighting Sailor replied.

It was the 'Ladies'' part of the event title I was referring to FS, not the reaction from mess members. Is there a case for renaming the event to something more gender and sexuality neutral?

Seadog removes tongue from cheek (fnaar).

Jack's party tricks may be borderline homosexual Pompey Sailor but Royals' are full on nosh.

Somebody seems to be an authority on the subject?

pompey sailor you really dont read what i said, idont want to be gay, but thats not pc is it? its only pc if iwant to be gay,of which you imply in your dit that to join todays navy it would be to my advantage, yes there were gays im fully aware of that,have you been in the navy all of six months and not had a christmas at home?get a life and see things in a broader view.

It does grip me why the Navy feel they have to convert us to their policies as and when they change.
We are all big girls and boys and have our own views towards homosexuality and don't need to be told how to think..
It's laughable that in the time I have been in it was drummed into me that "queers are bad" and then one day it was "queers are great, go and find one as a friend"! If your gay your gay, big deal.
I wouldn't class myself as homophobic, however I rather not be in an environment surrounded by gay men, and I can't see what's wrong with that view.
I wonder if 2SL would be so keen on promoting gays if his son was a baby sailor joining a 30 man mess with a known gay community.

On reflection, I'm probably slightly homophobic. But hey it's my bleeding choice.

i cant remember the black comedians name who said,its better to be black than gay, because if youre black,you dont have to tell your mother.

higthepig said:
pompey sailor you really dont read what i said, idont want to be gay, but thats not pc is it? its only pc if iwant to be gay,of which you imply in your dit that to join todays navy it would be to my advantage, yes there were gays im fully aware of that,have you been in the navy all of six months and not had a christmas at home?get a life and see things in a broader view.

21 years, coming up 22, plenty of Christmas' away from home....

Next point?

finknottle said:
Well I will have to disagree with Pompey Sailor on that one, the good old times did exist, there was nothing to beat a showing the flag deployment round the far east and I agree with higthepig all this PC crap is enough to make an old salt vomit up his pint down the Legion.

Ah yes, I remember well wheel-spannering a recalcitrant stoker round the back of the panel, battering a new mess member and introducing him to the non-business end of a doodle-bug. The bullying when we used to turn on a weaker mess member - suicides were an accidental sideline for those that couldn't hack it. The nights ashore, drinking until the non-handlers drowned in their own vomit. Ah yes, those were the days. And of course, we never had any of them pooftahs, did we? All straight as a die.....can't count those Far East ladyboys can we? Anyone can make a mistake.....

You left the RN, the RN left you behind. My turn to leave is coming up, but I accept that things will change once I have left. Otherwise we would all still be sailing in Leanders and calling new sailors Gas Queens.....

PompeySailor said:
finknottle said:

Ah yes, I remember well wheel-spannering a recalcitrant stoker round the back of the panel, battering a new mess member and introducing him to the non-business end of a doodle-bug. The bullying when we used to turn on a weaker mess member - suicides were an accidental sideline for those that couldn't hack it. The nights ashore, drinking until the non-handlers drowned in their own vomit. Ah yes, those were the days. And of course, we never had any of them pooftahs, did we? All straight as a die.....can't count those Far East ladyboys can we? Anyone can make a mistake.....

You left the RN, the RN left you behind. My turn to leave is coming up, but I accept that things will change once I have left. Otherwise we would all still be sailing in Leanders and calling new sailors Gas Queens.....

PS, For a youngster that's not a bad insight into our glorious past, shame that you missed the boat. :roll:

PompeySailor said:
finknottle said:

Pompey Sailor,

Were you by chance that baby Sailor who felt the wrong end of a doddle bug or were you the beer mouse that was BEBOB by 20:00?

Whilst I agree with you that the Navy will move on and in most cases it is for the better, you have to admit that some of the policies the Navy is imposing are bordering on the ridiculous. We got PC this and COT that coming at us from all angles to a point where we are afraid to bollock people just in case we have to make a trip to the EO officer to explain ourselves.
We will all reminisce about the good old days and it's a fact some of them were good and that some things in the Navy have changed for the worse.
We have all heard the dits about being knuckled behind the lockers for gobbing off or the initiation of new mess members, but lets face it how often did it really happen the way the dit was spun(Don't let the truth get in the way of a good dit).
The Navy has changed and what we took for discipline back then is now construed as bullying. It is a very thin tightrope to walk and is the thought of being Kippered by the 3 badge hooky down the mess a bad thing? Or did it ensure you got chefs done in quick time and cracked on with your task book?

It happened a lot, and unfortunately I must admit that sometimes it was me dishing it out. Being 6' tall and a former county rugby player, I was led into things that I am not particularly proud of now, and would be classed as bullying and intimidation. Not until I picked up my killicks did I realise that I was being used by the weaker ones as a battering ram.

The swift crack around the head to make a point became more than that, as we seem to have people who have read the book about how to do it, but have never gone through it and don't understand it. Having spent a lot of time in the Stokers Mess, this applies especially to them. The days of having old and bold killicks have gone - we have young killicks who have read the book, heard the stories, and think that they can behave the same way - trouble is, they can't. They can't drink hard and play hard, and they don't command the same level of respect, so it comes through bullying the weaker mess members. I don't think we have the same problems as the Army, but we have people serving in positions of power who should not be trusted to be in charge of the NAAFI Flat for cleaning.

The RN will always change, otherwise it will die. It just gets on my tits when all we ever hear is "in my day", when their day is dead and gone. They still live in the days of The Cruel Sea, and have no concept of how things have changed. In fact, many of the currently serving have no idea of how things have changed. They mank and moan, and don't want to see a bigger picture - and this moaning gets transmitted to the junior rates who carry on the tradition of moaning without information.

How many three badgers do you see in the RN nowadays? When i joined boats in 54 nearly every boat had at least 1/2 doz. When I left in 59 you were lucky to find one. The steadying influence of these "Old & Bold" (as Pompey Sailor calls them) helped to keep the comaraderie of the "Trade".

I can understand the lack of respect when you see no badge killicks rated up while their still wet behind the ears (not talking about those who have dipped their badge either)

Latest Threads