Hello RR

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by _Tim_, Dec 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, RR.

First of all I'll introduce myself and give some background information.

I'm 17 and about 5'9" and 163lbs. I dropped out of college for personal reasons. Recently, I've decided that a career in the RN, as a pilot or a MEO in the submarine service, is what I want to acheive. I'm going back to college in September 2009 and will finish in the year of my 20th birthday. I'll be studying a national diploma in electrical engineering and I'll continue with either that or aeronautical engineering at university.

If all goes to plan I'll have completed my degree by the year of my 23rd birthday. I'm also going to be joining the RAF or RM reserves to train as an engineering technician and to gain some military experience!

I want this so much that I'm going to have to support myself from September because my family circumstance is going to be rather unpredicatble. They're planning on moving but have no idea where to!

So, in conclusion. I'd like to join the RN and was wondering if you guys and gals could give me some advice, stories and other such useful stuff :)
  2. Hello Tim!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

Have you called in at your local AFCO yet?
  3. I have indeed, I went in and had a chat. Liked what I heard about the navy, even if the recruiter was a prat!
  4. The TA is the best place to get engineering experience, either at a REME unit or a RE unit. They will comprehensively train you, and being in the TA will give you motivation to stay fit. Just my advice, but Id honestly recommend doing that if circumstances allow.
  5. Commando engineers might also be an option. Try 131 CDO R.E (V)
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

At risk of being called a prat, if you wish to be an engineering technician, the Royal Marines Reserve would probably not be the best option.
  7. Thanks for the advice, guys :)

The nearest REME unit with the TA is too far away for me. Which is why the RM or RAF reserves are a better option for my personal circumstances.

The recruiter was a prat because it was an army recruiter that saw to me first, and the RN recruiter sat talking to his mate about some girl he met the night before for 5 minutes. He then tried to get me to sign up there and then for a rating position.

EDIT: I don't want to be an engineering technician, I just think that it would be a good stepping stone towards my possible goal of being a marine engineering officer.
  8. Fleet Air Arm don't do Engineering Officers.

AIR engineering Officers but not tother kind. (The nuts are smaller in the AEO world!!) :thumright:
  9. read the first post :p

It said "pilot OR MEO in the submarine service" ;)

Any experience is good experience, right?
  10. was it a good dit?
  11. dit?
  12. Dit: Matelot speak for a tale, a story ....
  13. ah, gotcha.

Not so much a good "dit" as much of a "Yeah, I shagged her and I'm not going out with her again". You know the sort I mean.
  14. hi tim and welcome to WAFU world.

do you not think that yu maybe setting your sights a bit skew whiffy, how do you get MEO as a second choice to noise maker of the sky. surely AEO would be a better fall-back. good luck anyway but remember that firstly you have to pass the AIB and then pass it extremely well to be offered aircrrew/pilot. dont forget the FAT as well.
  15. I made that decision as I'd like to be a pilot or be in the SS.

I've had a look at some examples of the AIB and it seems relatively straight forward-*prepares to eat own words*. The FAT, however, I don't know anything about. Is there anywhere I could get some examples of it?
  16. The SS?

Blimey, that's a tad extreme.
  17. Yes. Shame I'm talking about the Royal Navy and not Nazi Germany.
  18. Well...hardly a shame.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not exactly sure how joining the Royal Marines Reserve is remotely relevant to becoming a Marine Engineering Officer either - other than the fact they share the name "Marine", but thereafter any connection ends abruptly.

That said, best of luck in your aspirations.