Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training.

Hello everyone, i hope you dont mind me joining your site!
well my son is going to be starting basic training next year ( around may i believe). The reason im on here is that i went too plymouth a couple months ago, and seen new recruits walking around in there uniform :) , do they get told when they can go out? is it routine? or was that a special privilege?
And also are parents allowed to come see them?
I Seen the multiple requests for people using the search function, i did, but couldnt seem to find anything! Proberly my old age! :)

Also ( sorry about my questioning! ) , His sister is getting married this time next year, if he passes out sucessfully, will he be able to wear his uniform to this occasion?

Thank you very much indeed.
ProudMum

Also , sorry if this is in the wrong section!
 

brigham600

War Hero
Firstly, you are most welcome to our site.

They (new entries) do get told when they can go out and to be honest, its not very often in basic training as they will be very busy and also walking about in Guz (Plymouth) is not normally the greatest of ideas to be honest.

Parents are not allowed to visit during basic training except for when the trainnes pass in (out) at the end of their course. (Don't mother him, its not a good idea!)

He will be allowed to wear his rig (uniform) at the wedding, but be warned, he may not be around to attend dependent on when the wedding is.

Good luck to your son by the way and he has joined the best service
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
proudmum40 said:
Hello everyone, i hope you dont mind me joining your site!
Not at all. Welcome.
proudmum40 said:
Well my son is going to be starting basic training next year ( around may i believe). The reason im on here is that i went too plymouth a couple months ago, and seen new recruits walking around in there uniform :) , do they get told when they can go out? is it routine? or was that a special privilege?
Recruits get Shore Leave after a certain period of Training, depending on whether they and their Class are performing to the required standard. Leave is a privilage not a right.
proudmum40 said:
And also are parents allowed to come see them?
Yes, through the barbed wire fence anytime they like. :D
While ashore young thrusters can meet who they like. I believe there's a Family visit where nearest and dearest get a look round, talk to Instructors etc. (Ready to be corrected on that.)
proudmum40 said:
I Seen the multiple requests for people using the search function, i did, but couldnt seem to find anything! Proberly my old age! :)
No worries, it's just lazy Young thrusters who get a tune up.

proudmum40 said:
Also ( sorry about my questioning! ) , His sister is getting married this time next year, if he passes out sucessfully, will he be able to wear his uniform to this occasion?
Yes, but he'll be expected to wear it properly and it wouldn't go amiss to inform his Divisional Officer of his intentions.

proudmum40 said:
Thank you very much indeed.
ProudMum
No worries, good luck to him and you as well.

proudmum40 said:
Also , sorry if this is in the wrong section!
Right place.
 

tommo

War Hero
NZ_Bootneck said:
proudmum40 said:
Hello everyone, i hope you dont mind me joining your site!
Not at all. Welcome.
proudmum40 said:
Well my son is going to be starting basic training next year ( around may i believe). The reason im on here is that i went too plymouth a couple months ago, and seen new recruits walking around in there uniform :) , do they get told when they can go out? is it routine? or was that a special privilege?
Recruits get Shore Leave after a certain period of Training, depending on whether they and their Class are performing to the required standard. Leave is a privilage not a right.
proudmum40 said:
And also are parents allowed to come see them?
Yes, through the barbed wire fence anytime they like. :D
While ashore young thrusters can meet who they like. I believe there's a Family visit where nearest and dearest get a look round, talk to Instructors etc. (Ready to be corrected on that.)
proudmum40 said:
I Seen the multiple requests for people using the search function, i did, but couldnt seem to find anything! Proberly my old age! :)
No worries, it's just lazy Young thrusters who get a tune up.

proudmum40 said:
Also ( sorry about my questioning! ) , His sister is getting married this time next year, if he passes out sucessfully, will he be able to wear his uniform to this occasion?
Yes, but he'll be expected to wear it properly and it wouldn't go amiss to inform his Divisional Officer of his intentions.

proudmum40 said:
Thank you very much indeed.
ProudMum
No worries, good luck to him and you as well.

proudmum40 said:
Also , sorry if this is in the wrong section!
Right place.

NZ you forgot to add "Are you worth a squirt? As that will also help the instructors to know and will depend if your boy will get let out."
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
tommo said:
NZ you forgot to add "Are you worth a squirt? As that will also help the instructors to know and will depend if your boy will get let out."
I was saving that for PM as with request for phots. :wink:
 

tommo

War Hero
NZ_Bootneck said:
tommo said:
NZ you forgot to add "Are you worth a squirt? As that will also help the instructors to know and will depend if your boy will get let out."
I was saving that for PM as with request for phots. :wink:

Fair play! Up there for thinking ^^^^^^^ Down there for dancing VVVVVVVVV and in the middle for romancing NZ.


As for the in Guzz in Uniform. I asked about this a while ago. From what was said it's Week 8 and they get a morning or afternoon in Guzz but must wear No 1's.

Something that has been brought in that never use to happen when most here joined .
 

flymo

War Hero
We were allowed out in nos 1s back in 83 for a day during training.
We were in Woolworths buying "best" books for note taking whilst on course. As I crouched down to pick a book a young Guzzette trollop creeped up and pushed me over onto the floor with mucho giggles from her girl friends and also the other matelots I was with too.
First and last time I was touched by a Guzz Girl.
 

chester

Newbie
My son passed out several weeks ago. I believe recruits who are on track with their training requirements are allowed several hours 'shore leave' towards the end of training. I think it was Sat of week 8. As already stated by other posters, the recruits wear their No 1 uniforms.
 
Welcome to you, congratulations to you both and best of luck to him :)

Seriously, welcome to RR and I hope your son does brilliantly in his future career
 

scouse

War Hero
At his sisters Wedding :wink: WEDDING NAVAL WEDDING CUSTOMS
bluejacket rig wears white silks tapes to his jumper; best man
and other officials may do the same.
 

Zoidberg

War Hero
SJRM_RN said:
AFAIK, the youngsters who go out in Plymouth in uniform at weekends are from Stonehouse Division. These are lads/lasses who have not been able to complete training due to injury etc and are waiting to join back into training with another division at the same stage that they left off. They also do community/charity work, I think the idea is that this all gives them a sense of worth during what can be a long lay off period whilst they get fit again.

Happy to be corrected on this, but this was as briefed to me a couple of weeks ago whilst I was on a visit to Raleigh.

Good luck to your son, he is making a very sensible career/lifestyle choice.

You get to go out for a day at the end of week 8 as well. 1s if it's decent weather, 3s if not.

You're also allowed out for a couple of hours on the Thursday night before the pass out parade.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Hello everyone, I’m a new member seeking help on Verbal test Joining the Royal Navy 12
P Hello Everyone! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T hello everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Hello everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Jarhead Hello to everyone.... The Corps 32
A Hello Everyone new to this site Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
P Hello everyone! Current Affairs 5
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
Richbomber Submariner Golden Hello £15k Submariners 12
C hello guys i was wondering....... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Njs71 Saying hello... RFA 10
soleil Hello Magazine: "Prince Philip's Birthday To Get Extraordinary Treatment" The Corps 19
BillyNoMates Hello 2014 Diamond Lil's 12
J Hello and HMS Tiptoe Submariners 14
W Hello .. my name Dick Chaytor and i am trying to find anyone who were class mates of Blogs 31
BillyNoMates Hello The Gash Barge 8
N Hello and Thank You!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Submariner 'Golden Hello' Submariners 3
S Security clearance and hello :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
W hello guys and girls Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Rachelthree Hello.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B Hello from Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Golden Hello Submariners 4
A Hello all you submariners :) Submariners 8
S Golden hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P In-service degrees/training opps; hello! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of Rock" Current Affairs 28
howfen_lad Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
otherguy just a hello really Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
fishcakebreadcake Hello from an old newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
M Hello Everybody Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
wet_blobby Hello Perce Diamond Lil's 12
G Hello there.. The Corps 5
Andy_Cap Hello There Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
F Quick Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
E Hello!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
D Hello all! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
D Hello. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Topaz Hello The Quarterdeck 8
B Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Merlin28 Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Hello Diamond Lil's 19
S hello Diamond Lil's 102
T Hello? The Gash Barge 12
W Hello there. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
madashatter Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
O Hello there Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
lloydie Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
K newbie saying hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top