Hello all!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Danyael, Mar 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Newbie to the navy here. Just wanted to say hi.

Just a bit about myself. Been on sort of a student gap gear after finishing my degree overseas. Realising that I wanted to go in a different direction for a career my mum told me about the Armed Forces (she used to serve in the RAF)

Went to the AFCO about 3 weeks ago and I have my Psychometric test (Recruiting test I assume?) on the 6th April!

Found lots of helpful info on these forums. There are a couple of questions i'd like to ask. I have all the documentation needed except a National Insurance Card. I have a number though, since I have some papers from the job center will this be enough if I cannot get my card in time?

For my test coming up, my biggest concern is my maths. Grabbed a book to study, since it's been a few years. Are there any questions on the maths part that made anyone think 'Uh oh... forgot how to do this' ? Besides the ones in that little booklet and the site links I mean.

Just want to be as prepared as I can.

:D

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Welcome to RR, don't say to much about mums past. :wink:

3. I think hes said enough to provide the ammunition!!

Welcome to RR Danyael,
    As Im sure your going to be told there is a search facility on here which is really good, I'm sure you will be able to find most of the answers you require using it. If not, alot of the members will be more than willing to help. Good luck with your application.

4. I don't have a National Insurance card either. I was ok taking in a current wage slip with the number on.

5. Just a quick one for you to check on, you said about studying overseas, travelling and not having a national insurance card... be careful you meet the residency requirements. You should normally have lived in the UK for something like 5 years immediately prior to applying for the RN (10 for CT ROLE), I think stays outside for travelling etc. are permitted depending on where you were but extended residency overseas would possibly bar you. It is worth checking out now so you don't go through the motions for months only to find out further down the line.

6. Hi Dan,

Any printed letter, job centre card, pay slip with your NI number on will surfice for the proof of NI number.

With reference to living outside the country, you would normally only have problems if you reminaed outside the UK for 12 months or more. But talk it through with your AFCO staff.

Regards

SM

:)

7. Welcome to the site. Don't mention your Mum's background at the interview and you should be fine :wink:

8. Thanks guys!

Don't worry I won't mention anything about my mum :p I probably loaded the gun with that one

I already spoke to the officer there about my being overseas. He said not to worry about it for now and it shouldn't be too much of an issue since I'm a British citizen. Worse case scenario is that I might have to wait a bit longer.

I've got plenty of documents with my NIO number on them, so that's reasurring :)

9. This is pretty misleading to be honest, the reason I warned you was because a mate of mine who tried to apply was turned down because he had spent a year overseas at uni and then about 9 months travelling in the year following his graduation. It makes no difference if you are a British citizen, you do what you like but it would be wise to try and get a definitive answer now not wait on the assumption that one individual at the AFCO is correct.

Just out of interest in the last 5 years how long have you spent out of the country?

10. Hi Lonestar or anyone else with any info. Sorry to hijack the thread a little. I am applying to go in as a CT and you said in the previous post that the time period for this is extended to 10 years.

I spent an academic year(9 months) in America in 2002-2003. Immediately before that I spent two months in Australia and just after I had 6 weeks in Mexico. Overall it was around a year with a few weeks in the UK here and there. How much of an issue is this likely to be. I'll obviously ask the CA as well next time I speak to him.

11. This is what the good book says:-

Candidates for entry as a Communication Technicians (CT) should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of ten years immediately prior to making an application. No waivers will be granted for prospective CTs.

Therefore I would suggest you need to talk with your CA as quickly as possible.

Regards

SM

:)

12. 0724. General

a. The Residency requirement is part of the Security Clearance procedure and is irrespective of the Nationality of the candidate. With the exception of Communication Technician candidates, the requirement applies to the candidate only. The residency status of the candidate's parents or partner is not considered.
    b. Unless satisfactory security checks can be carried out in the candidates’ country of residence, candidates for entry into the Naval Service should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of five years immediately prior to making an application. In certain circumstances, particularly where an applicant is of UK origin, a shorter period of residence may be accepted (see below).
    c. Candidates for entry as a Communication Technicians (CT) should normally have resided in the UK for a minimum of ten years immediately prior to making an application. No waivers will be granted for prospective CTs.

0725. Waivers

a. DVA will only consider SC applications for candidates who have lived in the UK (or in a trusted source where reciprocal security checks were carried out) for a minimum of three years immediately prior to their application. Countries where reciprocal checks were carried out are shown below. Application for a waiver is to made via CNRRP, not directly to DVA.
    b. Residency outside the UK for less than 12 months within the last five years may be disregarded. In addition, candidates who do not meet the Residency requirement because they were living abroad with parents who were on Crown service will also be given special consideration by DVA.
    c. No waivers will be granted for prospective CTs.

From http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/package/68/br3book/ch07.pdf

Other than the fact my friend was asked to wait for an extended period before he could apply I have no knowledge of the procedures, best see if Ninja Stoker or Super Mario can help.

Edited because it took me too long to type with my sausage fingers and SM beat me to it!

13. Nice answer though loanstar :) 8O

14. Cheers guys. Gutted about that to be honest although I can understand why they are so cautious. I guess the only bit of ambiguity is the use of 'normally' in there.

I'll speak to the CA this week.

15. I'll also check with the CO again. I've been back in the UK for about 18 months, before that I was in Florida for 3 1/2 years for my degree. I didn't go travelling afterwards. I guess it comes down to whether or not they can do the security checks needed in the country you've been in.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The reference to "normally" with regard residence means that if under 18 & living overseas because your parent(s) are in "Crown Service", then the break in UK residence outside the UK for periods of less than 12 months in total within the last five years may be disregarded.

Those over 18 living overseas by their own choice are ineligible for residency waivers.

17. Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like a re-think is in order.