Hello all!

Lingyai said:
You bouys must have been badly behaved to warrant that amount of stick.... it is only navy training not bloody spetsnatz or navy seal stuff. Can't expect fluffy slippers and instructors tucking you in at night, Nothing is more harmful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army superiority over another.
We were good little boys, Lingyai! 8O We just got punished for doing just about anything. I was a bit naughty in doing a bunk, and suffered for it. As for the fluffy slippers, teddy bears, being tucked up in bed and being read bedtime stories by Chiefy, we all expected that in the Annexe as a matter of course! It was a terrible shock/disappoinment when we were doubled outside in our PJs/birthday suits for talking after lights-out (with excitement) on our first night :wink: :lol: I suspect we'd have fared better had we joined at 16 rather than 15 year old. What age did you join at Lingyai?

Streaky said:
Are you sure it was the Royal Navy you were in?
I think HMS Ganges was a RN training establishment - though it did feel a bit like borstal at the time!

NozzyNozzer said:
Lingyai said:
You bouys must have been badly behaved to warrant that amount of stick.... it is only navy training not bloody spetsnatz or navy seal stuff. Can't expect fluffy slippers and instructors tucking you in at night, Nothing is more harmful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army superiority over another.
We were good little boys, Lingyai! 8O We just got punished for doing just about anything. I was a bit naughty in doing a bunk, and suffered for it. As for the fluffy slippers, teddy bears, being tucked up in bed and being read bedtime stories by Chiefy, we all expected that in the Annexe as a matter of course! It was a terrible shock/disappoinment when we were doubled outside in our PJs/birthday suits for talking after lights-out (with excitement) on our first night :wink: :lol: I suspect we'd have fared better had we joined at 16 rather than 15 year old. What age did you join at Lingyai?
I admit I was older than that 16 years and 3 moths old, still shook me a little though, although ti wasn't the punishments and slappings it was the **** stuff that got to me. I was ready to quit though after getting a right seeing to because I has fluff on my overalls!!! Called my old man and said Fcuk this I am coming home and the old man (to his eternal credit) said No you're not, if you get booted out that's fine but if you quit don't come back here. Subsequently I am told it broke his heart to say that but on reflection both of us know it was for the best. It is not easy as a youngster to go into the mob, but it isn't as bad as it seems when you look back. Nozzy you were naughty for doing a bunk but also had some balls as I would have been to scared to do a runner, Kudos.

I must have been really lucky, then, reading all those Ganges dits.
I joined at 18. The basic training time at Raleigh was just 6 weeks, and that was split by 3 weeks Easter Leave.

Dipped in, or what?

QARNN01

Midshipman
Streaky said:
I must have been really lucky, then, reading all those Ganges dits.
I joined at 18. The basic training time at Raleigh was just 6 weeks, and that was split by 3 weeks Easter Leave.

Dipped in, or what?
Yes we seem to have had it good.... joined at 28 myself so able to take all the crap they dolled out - since half the staff were the same age as me, didn't take it seriously! and our training was 8 weeks but after 4 we had two weeks Easter leave.... lovely!

D

Deleted 7

*cough* Ganges is a bad word when mentioned in every forum! *cough*

Might one respectfully suggest that discussing new entry traaining is always likely to require discussions of how the system has changed over the years and thus references to the G Spot are always going to be made.

Peter

Lingyai said:
NozzyNozzer said:
Lingyai said:
I admit I was older than that 16 years and 3 moths old, still shook me a little though, although ti wasn't the punishments and slappings it was the **** stuff that got to me. I was ready to quit though after getting a right seeing to because I has fluff on my overalls!!! Called my old man and said Fcuk this I am coming home and the old man (to his eternal credit) said No you're not, if you get booted out that's fine but if you quit don't come back here. Subsequently I am told it broke his heart to say that but on reflection both of us know it was for the best. It is not easy as a youngster to go into the mob, but it isn't as bad as it seems when you look back. Nozzy you were naughty for doing a bunk but also had some balls as I would have been to scared to do a runner, Kudos.
In 1959 you couldn't leave if you didn't like it (except in a wooden box) - or I'd have got out, and that would have a mistake! I did the bunk because I was really miserable early on (not particularly helped by being naked in public, the foreskin inspections, and the comments questioning my gender for a while because of my fear of heights) and got to the stage I couldn't cope. I didn't do it again - nor would you had you got 6 cuts). As Nutty has pointed out though, I knew what would happen! I'm afraid that I could never quite bring myself to tell my parents what really went on - I pretended it was all hunky dory - apart from my bunk - so to them it was just a big public type school. As my dad went to a public school I'd have got no sympathy anyway! Where did you train Lingyai?

4 Skin inspections???? Were the instructors closet rainbow types by any chance? I was trained at Raleigh, the beginning of a great life of adventure..... Yaarrrr I love life (especialy mine)
In fact I am in such a damn good mood with life I could vomit.
You RR folks have a really great day and thanks for giving me some entertainment whilst floating about here off the coast of Norway....

D

Deleted 7

LADS!!! Ganges, no offence again but please can you not over flow another thread with a ganges debate. PM's or the appropriate forums :wink:

Ever loving

Junior Jenny!

Jenny_Dabber said:
LADS!!! Ganges, no offence again but please can you not over flow another thread with a ganges debate. PM's or the appropriate forums :wink:

Ever loving

Junior Jenny!
Sigh.... Yes Mum :wink: :wink:

Lingyai said:
4 Skin inspections???? Were the instructors closet rainbow types by any chance? I was trained at Raleigh, the beginning of a great life of adventure..... Yaarrrr I love life (especialy mine)
In fact I am in such a damn good mood with life I could vomit.
You RR folks have a really great day and thanks for giving me some entertainment whilst floating about here off the coast of Norway....
Ah Norway... off there again in 3 weeks time, then to Iceland.

Our instructors all had wives Lingyai - it was just the way things were in those grim days! Raleigh? If you had run away from Raleigh you'd just have got your wrist slapped! :lol:

Now, Junior Jenny, no more G for now... But you know how addictive it is. Incidentally my friend Seacat say's he's spotted your ensign on the Ganges Forum. I'm afraid you won't find me there any more - too tired of the infighting! The committee should settle it in the boxing ring, like the old days! That would be a sight to see! They could do it for the Mast Fund.

BlackDwarf

Midshipman
Hello again all!

Just thought I'd keep you all informed, wether you care or not :p

Had my psychometrics today. Passed, and they had a slot open tomorrow for the interview and medical... so what the hell, i took it.

Shatting myself and trying to get things sorted. Hopefully all will go well.

Got a long wait afterwards though... 9 month waiting list apparantly :(

dunkers

War Hero
I suggest you spend that 9 months getting your fitness up (you thought I was about to say "having a baby" didn't you), you really want to crack the 1.5 mile run, 23 pressups, 39 situps and sprint as soon as possible when you get there (preferably on the first go if you can manage it). If you're fit then Raleigh is a piece of piss, seriously.

BlackDwarf

Midshipman
Yello everyone.

Well, Interview was fine, all went well. Medical went fine too... except what i was expecting... Nothings going any farther until i lose some weight..... Highly annoying with a 9 month waiting list :( Just adds to the time its gonna take :(
Arsebuscuits.

dunkers

War Hero
It's a disappointment at the moment, definitely. But when you get to Raleigh you will be so glad you lost the weight and increased your fitness - it's worth it for basic training.

dondon

MIA
BlackDwarf said:
Yello everyone.

Well, Interview was fine, all went well. Medical went fine too... except what i was expecting... Nothings going any farther until i lose some weight..... Highly annoying with a 9 month waiting list :( Just adds to the time its gonna take :(
Arsebuscuits.
You will be so pleased that you have lost the weight , worth it in the long run , :roll:

BlackDwarf

Midshipman
Ya definately. But with such a long waiting list, surely they could put me in there, i'm going to lose weight in 9 months!

trippleA

Hi Royals
After serving in the Corp and the Army (sorry lads) i was discharged for serious knee problems , i,ve never asked for helpand have always been a worker but things got so bad after many knee ops and bone graphs and more to come i applied for a war pension only to be turned down , by the mod and am now in the proceess of a tribunal service appeal which is coming up in the next few weeks , can anyone give advice that may help ,many thanks lads .