Hello all!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BlackDwarf, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys!

Start with a little bit of an intro, my name is James and I currently work in IT. I've decided IT as a hobby and a career perhaps isn't for me, so I'm looking to joing the RN. Left college after 1 year so I can't join at officer level, but i'm looking to be a ET(WE), Comms Tech or C&ISS, I haven't quite decided yet, and haven't been to the recruitment office to discuss it further. Any ideas would be great :D

I'm a bit of the unfit side and am carrying some excess weight, but I'm bloody determined to get in, so a strict excercise and nutrition regime await me! How tough is 1st Phase these days?

Cheers guys, and look forward to keep posting here, you all seem like a nice bunch :)

2. Phase 1 can be tough in two ways, physically and mentally.

It will be physically tough if you're unfit so try and get in loads of exercise before you go. You will be expected to run a mile and a half in 10min 30s (male under 25 years), swim and tread water whilst wearing overalls, and be able to crack out a few press ups and sit ups amongst other things. The fitter you are before you go the easier it will be.

It can be tough mentally if you don't like being shouted or sworn at, and if you're the sort of person who makes things difficult for themselves by being untidy or late. There will be days when you're tired but you still haven't done your washing or ironing and you've got to be up at 6am again. You may feel lonely, anxious or homesick. You may resent being told to do things that strike you as pointless such as running everywhere or kit inspections.

The point is you can make it tougher than it is by having the wrong approach to the situation.

Best thing to do is listen to the instructors and act on what is said.

Phase 1 is only temporary, it doesn't last forever and the end results are worth it.

Good luck with your application.

3. Sounds like its going to be a right bugger then :p

I'm 20, and I'm intent on getting in, so I'm going to take the fitness training guide on the RN website and design something around it, from running to rowing machines. I'll have some trouble with push-ups because of my weight (I'm not light without the extra squidge), but sit-ups i'm ok with. Swimming I'm fine with too, I'm actually a trained PADI diver, so I shouldn't have any problems on the swimming side of things.

Mentally will be where it hurts the most, I don't like being shouted at, but I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and suck it up.

Thanks for the help. :)

4. Part 1 these days is a doddle - a mere 8 weeks! Instructors cannot treat you like they used to, or they get into trouble! You also have the benefit that many of us didn't when we joined, of being an adult, so you should find it easier to cope mentally. Be positive about it - it will make you a better person, however much you may dislike some of it at the time! :roll:

5. But Nozzy, when you joined up the Dead Sea had just started feeling a bit poorly..... :wink:

6. You bouys must have been badly behaved to warrant that amount of stick.... it is only navy training not bloody spetsnatz or navy seal stuff. Can't expect fluffy slippers and instructors tucking you in at night, Nothing is more harmful to the service, than the neglect of discipline; for that discipline, more than numbers, gives one army superiority over another.

7. If you cant take a Joke,then you shouldnt join!!!I used to listen to the rantings of the Instructors and give them a score for:
    1.Inventiveness:Those off the cuff lighthearted comments.
    2.Originality:Those previously unheard of rantings.
    3.Comedy Value:How close did i come to sniggering or bursting out loud in stitches.
    4.Facial expression:The degree of facial contortion that the Instructor adopts when venting his spleen.

Then by then end of your Part 1 you can say without a doubt who was the most entertaining Instructor and even present them with the evidence.It might be useful to try and remember some of the rants as you never know when they may become useful to yourself.Above all,Listen and obey,never,never volounteer and give 100%.Good luck!

8. Just imagine the ****** who is screaming at you Marching along naked with just socks , boots & gaiters on , should do the trick , but having said that , by the end of the 8 weeks you will be on your course run ashore having a pint & laugh with him , & wondering what all the fuss was about , you will look back & smile on it , :lol: , all the best matey , & keep RR posted won't you , :roll:

9. Are you sure it was the Royal Navy you were in?

10. Guys, don't listen to any of them.... I'm a relative newby myself - been in a year and a half... basic training is just that, basic. Get the fitness programme off the web, print it out and take it to your local gym and ask them to design a programme round it - works a treat. Develop a sense of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and be neat. Above all learn from those in your messdeck who are further on in training than you - find the good ones and copy their lockers etc from day1 or 2... it's all about being organised and ready for anything - and as someone said, it's only 8 weeks and some of it is cracking good fun! Even Dartmoor was a total scream!!! You will enjoy yourself and find out what you're made of but never let it get you down!!!! And all that's from a nurse! If we can do it, you lot definitely can!!! Enjoy yourselves!!

11. See,if a doris can struggle through without messing up the makeup,then you should walk it!

12. yep, new entry training was a larf.......although rnr only "do" 12 days it's pretty crammed.....we do everything they get you to do in 8 weeks coz we're expected to know a little bit more about managing ourselves and our time (belay the shower training!!!!). It can be hard work I screwed up on the situps and had to go through that twice but hey got there in the end. Shat meself durring dru but as soon as we got outa there wanted to go through it again (even managed a "very good " off one of the instructors in there :D :D ) If you've done any hill walking/DofE should have a laff on Dartmoor although that's really about teamwork and leadership than navi and there's the added incentive of beer and real food at the end of it :wink: Sea Survival's good but the RN do it in the pool at Raleigh,or so I've heard :oops: :roll: whereas the first one for the rnr's at Horsea Island....did mine in a freezing Feb morning.....twas a mite bracing!. made some good shipmates through that course still in contact with some of them even though one or two of them have gone to the wardroom side :roll:
    get in there and go for it you won't regret it :lol:

13. Oi AndyM.... less of your cheek... this doris not only made it through "alright"... she also won the Commodore's prize for best kit and military bearing, and The Owen Cup for best recruit...!

14. Oooooooooooooo get her!You sound like youre Upperyardsperson material!
    Ah well in my day we just had Captains Guard winners and i am proud to say that My class(Grenville 32)did win it!Are you already Quaified as a nurse or in the process?

15. Already qualified thanks.... and yes, raising papers has been mentioned!!!

16. PMSl,do enjoy,i left in 84 and did my RGN and spent 15 years in ITU/CCU shame you wont have the pleasure of working in a proper RNH,totally different world.Ah well,tempus fugit and all that!

17. Thanks for all the comments guys. Much helpfulness.

Going to see the AFCO some time this week. Hoping there's a suitable intake in September time. Will keep you all posted :)

18. Hi and welcome BlackDwarf :D

19. Why hello Jenny :D

20. Very well done QARNNO1, :roll: :lol: