Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all new here in need of help!

springzy

Newbie
Hi, new here, found you lot on google search because I need some advice please.

Basically, applied, did the test fine passed that for the job im going for (Warfare Specialist) then had my medical and interview, but one problem came up in my medical, apparently im Colour Blind, I did that book where you have to identify numbers in all the dots and couldnt see anything, I sort of knew that I was colourblind just didnt really think it was that bad as its never effected me in life. Then I had to match these wires up, did that fine, then he told me I will need to do the Lantern Test. I've got that next monday and im really scared that I might fail, I want this job so badly, I really want to join the Navy. But I dont really understand what happens during this test and how does it work and is it hard, wondered if any of you have done it already?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
 

springzy

Newbie
Thanks aussiepint, I have already found that site, I more wanted to know if anyone has done it and what really happens during it. Thanks anyway!
 

dustyjack

Lantern Swinger
Don't worry too much about the LANTERN (Literacy And Numeracy Testing & Education in the Royal Navy (I kid you not!))test. As the rather long winded name suggests, it is all about being able to spell and add up. Well maybe a bit more complicated than that, but not much. Everyone who joins up has to take this test (The old NAMET test for the old salts), so if they have put you through for it, I would say that the colour blindness isn't too much of a problem. No idea how difficult it is, but if it is anything like the old style test, it starts off dead simple (add 2+2 and spell your name correctly) up to more complicated eqations and comprehension exercises. As long as you can read, write and add up a bit you should be fine.

DJ
 
dustyjack said:
Don't worry too much about the LANTERN (Literacy And Numeracy Testing & Education in the Royal Navy (I kid you not!))test. As the rather long winded name suggests, it is all about being able to spell and add up. Well maybe a bit more complicated than that, but not much. Everyone who joins up has to take this test (The old NAMET test for the old salts), so if they have put you through for it, I would say that the colour blindness isn't too much of a problem. No idea how difficult it is, but if it is anything like the old style test, it starts off dead simple (add 2+2 and spell your name correctly) up to more complicated eqations and comprehension exercises. As long as you can read, write and add up a bit you should be fine.

DJ

What he said mate :)
Its a long winded name for a relatively simple testing procedure that you would have to do anyway, nothing to do with Colour Perception ;)
 

Random

Lantern Swinger
Basically for all of us poor sods who are colour blind there are 3 main tests of our ability to see colours.

1) The Ishihara Book test (pick the numbers and trace the lines in the multicoloured blobs)

2) The Trade test (match the different colour wires up)

3) The Holmes Wright (B) Lantern Test (Spot the colour of the faint dot produced by the lantern)

The Ishihara basically says if you are colour blind or not, the trade test says whether you can actually handle electrical wiring and the Lantern test says whether you can identify a port and starboard light at night at distance.

The Lantern test is nothing difficult, basically they sit you in a dark room with a lantern at the other end. The lantern has a wheel that slowly revolves filtering the light to produce either a very faint green, red or white dot. Your job is basically to record as accurately as you can the correct sequence of colours shown.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Random said:
Basically for all of us poor sods who are colour blind there are 3 main tests of our ability to see colours.

1) The Ishihara Book test (pick the numbers and trace the lines in the multicoloured blobs)

2) The Trade test (match the different colour wires up)

3) The Holmes Wright (B) Lantern Test (Spot the colour of the faint dot produced by the lantern)

The Ishihara basically says if you are colour blind or not, the trade test says whether you can actually handle electrical wiring and the Lantern test says whether you can identify a port and starboard light at night at distance.

The Lantern test is nothing difficult, basically they sit you in a dark room with a lantern at the other end. The lantern has a wheel that slowly revolves filtering the light to produce either a very faint green, red or white dot. Your job is basically to record as accurately as you can the correct sequence of colours shown.

What he said, this is the Lantern test to which he refers- marvelous, well put. :thumright:
 
Ahh, apologies :)
When a Career type bloke mentions Lantern test, it is easy to think of the RN type test.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Lamri said:
Ahh, apologies :)
When a Career type bloke mentions Lantern test, it is easy to think of the RN type test.

Will let you off Lamri if you forward your Avatar's mobile number as requested...
 

springzy

Newbie
Random said:
Basically for all of us poor sods who are colour blind there are 3 main tests of our ability to see colours.

1) The Ishihara Book test (pick the numbers and trace the lines in the multicoloured blobs)

2) The Trade test (match the different colour wires up)

3) The Holmes Wright (B) Lantern Test (Spot the colour of the faint dot produced by the lantern)

The Ishihara basically says if you are colour blind or not, the trade test says whether you can actually handle electrical wiring and the Lantern test says whether you can identify a port and starboard light at night at distance.

The Lantern test is nothing difficult, basically they sit you in a dark room with a lantern at the other end. The lantern has a wheel that slowly revolves filtering the light to produce either a very faint green, red or white dot. Your job is basically to record as accurately as you can the correct sequence of colours shown.

Thanks very much mate, thats put a smile on my face, glad to know it's not some big long scary test! Cheers again!
 

ChrisA

Lantern Swinger
It's basically a black box with 2 faint lights inside which emit combinations of red/green/white light. The Doc will flip though all the combinations and you simply have to say "red white, white white, white green" etc.

The white-green one threw me a bit (it's a very light green), so I had to sit in a pitch-black room for 15 minutes and re-take the test in the dark.
 

springzy

Newbie
Damn, failed the Lantern test yesterday which now makes me CP4, I was going to be a Warfare Specialist, now I don't really have a choice and might have to settle with being a Steward. :(
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
The other alternative is to consider re-sitting the recruiting test & improving your score, if you've only taken it once before, as this will open up your options.

CP4 is acceptable for

Engineering Technician (Marine or Weapons Engineering), Medical Assistant, Logs(CS) (P)or(D)[Chef, Writer & Steward], Logs (SC)[Stores] & Royal Marines.

By the way you didn't actually fail the lantern test, if you failed it you would've been recorded as below CP4 and unsuitable for service- doomed to a monochrome civilian life.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Hello, I'm new here - Do I have to get a hair cut to go? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
schoolboy Hello chaps a new post here... The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
P Hello everyone, I’m a new member seeking help on Verbal test Joining the Royal Navy 12
Richbomber Submariner Golden Hello £15k Submariners 12
C hello guys i was wondering....... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Njs71 Saying hello... RFA 10
soleil Hello Magazine: "Prince Philip's Birthday To Get Extraordinary Treatment" The Corps 19
BillyNoMates Hello 2014 Diamond Lil's 12
J Hello and HMS Tiptoe Submariners 14
W Hello .. my name Dick Chaytor and i am trying to find anyone who were class mates of Blogs 31
BillyNoMates Hello The Gash Barge 8
N Hello and Thank You!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Submariner 'Golden Hello' Submariners 3
S Security clearance and hello :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
W hello guys and girls Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Rachelthree Hello.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B Hello from Torpoint Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Golden Hello Submariners 4
A Hello all you submariners :) Submariners 8
S Golden hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P In-service degrees/training opps; hello! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of Rock" Current Affairs 28
P Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
howfen_lad Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
otherguy just a hello really Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
fishcakebreadcake Hello from an old newbie Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
M Hello Everybody Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
wet_blobby Hello Perce Diamond Lil's 12
G Hello there.. The Corps 5
P Hello Everyone! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Andy_Cap Hello There Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
F Quick Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
E Hello!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
D Hello all! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
D Hello. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Topaz Hello The Quarterdeck 8
B Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Merlin28 Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Hello Diamond Lil's 19
S hello Diamond Lil's 102
T Hello? The Gash Barge 12
W Hello there. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
madashatter Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
O Hello there Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
lloydie Hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
K newbie saying hello Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
D Hello RR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
T hello everyone Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top