Helipads in Pompey

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by willsonline, Feb 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of a strange one this but where are the helipads for MOD use in Pompey? Exc. Horsea Island are there any others. Used to have VERNON but obviously no more!
  2. Are you thinking of flying in if so take your wellies?
  3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Contact the royal family, I'm sure they know. :wink:
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just fly overhead and aim for those little floaty grey things with white circles on the arse end... :cool:
  5. You can tell it's Friday cant ya... :roll:
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

7. You need a serving WAFU aviator, or air ops, who has access to the Helo Landing Site book.

I remember Vernon, Fleetlands and I believe Haslar - (Not positive about Haslar) but that was 15 + years ago. They change as establishments close and noise abatement laws bite.
  8. Nah Waspie ... Haslar always used Dolphin playing fields but haven't been near the place since '93 so suspect they have built on that by now.

There was one up at the Helecopter repair facility round the back of Fleetlands?? Mind again not sure if that is still there?
  9. Google earth?
  10. Any rooftop will do.Kick your rope out and away you go.

Yup,Vernon had one,right on the sea front.I was there working in buffers party and as a handler one of my duties was the operation of the 'spots'

Horsea island has definately got one as i was there last saturday doing my sea survival.

cheers now.
  11. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Temeraire, the MoD fields south of the Pier (back of the "funfair"), Whale Island (Parade Ground & sports field), Horsea and the Dockyard (by FLJ)are designated HLS.
  12. Whale Islands parade ground could be used too I believe. I recollect seeing a H within a circle which signifies you can land a helo anywhere in that area.
  13. South of the pier - isn't that in the 'oggin?!
  14. Also Collingwood parade ground is a helipad. Or you could just phone the coast guard helo at at lee on solent and ask to park there.... depends what its for anyway?
  15. You need to get yourself a copy of 'Helicopter Landing Sites - UK'.

If you're on board a pussers grey then your LAC/POAC or Air Ops (in the case of CVS/LPH/LPD) will have a copy of this.

You can obtain a copy from NAIC, if they won't send the book out to you they should help you with any questions if you ask. Failing that, you can ask either Yeovilton Ops or Culdrose Ops and they should be more than willing to assist you.

Off the top of my head I think that there are HLS's at MWS Excellent Upper Lawn, MWS Collingwood Parade Ground and DARA Fleetlands. There are definitely more than that but I can't remember and don't want to feed you false information.
  16. Mate, suggest you ditch the numbers - people who need to know will find them, those who are curious can look them up!!
  17. Seconded, I doubt whether our Naval Party in Northolt will be too happy with civvys ringing up to order a sh1tload of flips.
  18. Yes HM uses the playing fields at Temeraire when visiting. Just thought of another proper HP at Fort Southwick but don't think that's MOD now it was DCSA at one point.
  19. Bloody right we don't, then again let them call...it means i have got someone else to say F*** Off your not entitled to them.
  20. Cheers peeps, new to this site so was only trying to help but totally agree - not the cleverest idea.