Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helicopters with winches

dickhead

Banned
Culdrose appears to have choppers on instant readiness available to winch-rescue cretinous holidaymakers.
However Helicopters with winches were not available to rescue the posthumous GC winner in Afghanistan. All on standby for the Summer Season at Seahawk presumably.
 

scouse

War Hero
******** said:
Culdrose appears to have choppers on instant readiness available to winch-rescue cretinous holidaymakers.
However Helicopters with winches were not available to rescue the posthumous GC winner in Afghanistan. All on standby for the Summer Season at Seahawk presumably.
You dont take winches of Willey Nilley :thumright: ps thought you got pulled??? :thumright:
 

Moomin

War Hero
We do have more than our share of emmetts (tourists) chucking themselves off cliffs, like lemmings. Picking them up, usually in pieces, shouldn't be a priority.
 

dickhead

Banned
Moomin said:
We do have more than our share of emmetts (tourists) chucking themselves off cliffs, like lemmings. Picking them up, usually in pieces, shouldn't be a priority.
So why is it ? Expensive sophisticated military choppers rescuing OAP's and others foolishly putting to sea astride inflated rubber ducks knowing that all will be well as those Culdrose aircrews have nothing better to do than rescue them.
 

scouse

War Hero
All the choppers that i maintained and flew as aircrew had winches fitted as standard :thumright:
 

dickhead

Banned
scouse said:
All the choppers that i maintained and flew as aircrew had winches fitted as standard :thumright:
Sadly they didn't find their way East in sufficient numbers to rescue our troops
 

dickhead

Banned
dollygee said:
Was the chopper that tried to rescue our lads a Chinook, as I do not believe they are fitted with winches?
So why are they there? If one is to rescue troops from minefields would not those helicopters enjoying life in peaceful Cornwall be better employed , together with their winches, somewhere closer to the battlefield?
 

seafarer1939

War Hero
Don't mean to sound negative at such a brave act as taking a helo in a hot area, but, if no winch don't they carry a ladder or a long rope to lift at least one injured out of the mine area?
I'm sure if a rope was handy any one of the injured could have tied a bowline around a para to lift out of the mine area.There are probably a dozen reasons why this is a stupid query but it was asked at the boozer for which I had no answer after telling all I'm a seaman and never have set foot in a helo.
Was this a practical question,Cheers
 

dickhead

Banned
seafarer1939 said:
Don't mean to sound negative at such a brave act as taking a helo in a hot area, but, if no winch don't they carry a ladder or a long rope to lift at least one injured out of the mine area?
I'm sure if a rope was handy any one of the injured could have tied a bowline around a para to lift out of the mine area.There are probably a dozen reasons why this is a stupid query but it was asked at the boozer for which I had no answer after telling all I'm a seaman and never have set foot in a helo.
Was this a practical question,Cheers
A Bowline?
You're not on a Bight?
 

dickhead

Banned
seafarer1939 said:
Don't mean to sound negative at such a brave act as taking a helo in a hot area, but, if no winch don't they carry a ladder or a long rope to lift at least one injured out of the mine area?
I'm sure if a rope was handy any one of the injured could have tied a bowline around a para to lift out of the mine area.There are probably a dozen reasons why this is a stupid query but it was asked at the boozer for which I had no answer after telling all I'm a seaman and never have set foot in a helo.
Was this a practical question,Cheers
Not a stupid question .
Ropes have been long used to pluck downed aircrew,
Sadly the first experiment off Weymouth resulted in 35 of the volunteer aircrew dying. A Bowline was tied around each of them but they sadly, foolishly failed to understand what the exercise was all about - and died The Chief GI did his best to explain
 
Just a couple of things. The Culdrose Sea Kings are rather useful for attending to CASEVACs for the Home team, should they be required. They also attend real rescues from revenue earning ships in our parish. Apart from the fact it saves lives, it's also good PR for the Andrew and UK PLC. Regading winches on big tandem rotor jobs like Chinooks, the down wash is quite complex and remarkably powerful. Suspending heavy weapons, vehicles, fuel bollocks and CHACON/MINICON/ISO containers is one thing, but even 2 heavyweight but squishy humans are a different consideration.

Bugger! that's 3 things.
 

dickhead

Banned
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Just a couple of things. The Culdrose Sea Kings are rather useful for attending to CASEVACs for the Home team, should they be required. They also attend real rescues from revenue earning ships in our parish. Apart from the fact it saves lives, it's also good PR for the Andrew and UK PLC. Regading winches on big tandem rotor jobs like Chinooks, the down wash is quite complex and remarkably powerful. Suspending heavy weapons, vehicles, fuel bollocks and CHACON/MINICON/ISO containers is one thing, but even 2 heavyweight but squishy humans are a different consideration.

Bugger! that's 3 things.
And a fourth? Out East rescuing our hard-pressed troops? Go and wash your mouth out!!
 

Waspie

War Hero
******** said:
Culdrose appears to have choppers on instant readiness available to winch-rescue cretinous holidaymakers.
However Helicopters with winches were not available to rescue the posthumous GC winner in Afghanistan. All on standby for the Summer Season at Seahawk presumably.

Culdrose get paid by the Department of Trade and Industry for there 24 hour SAR role.

As for Afganistan. Bit of a long haul from Culdrose even for a winch fitted Merlin!! Berhaps Bristows at Lee on Solent could have responded!

Combat SAR in Afganistan is the resposibilty of either the RAF or US helicopters.
 

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
IIRC 771s don't have the right DAS for theatre (apart from the performance issues). We don't send cabs to the Stan without them. In addition, the number of cabs out there and their tasking is another issue that needs sorting.

I understand some of the junglies are set up for that at the minute and are doing their thing as we spout. Good luck to them and get back safely.
 

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
Not_a_boffin said:
IIRC 771s don't have the right DAS for theatre (apart from the performance issues). We don't send cabs to the Stan without them. In addition, the number of cabs out there and their tasking is another issue that needs sorting.

I understand some of the junglies are set up for that at the minute and are doing their thing as we spout. Good luck to them and get back safely.

845 and 846 have been deployed to Afghan with the Sk4 for months. Their tasking is affected by limitiations imposed on their performance due to the high ambient temperature and the height above sea level they are operating. They have been modified by fitting a high performance new main rotor blade but even with this they cannot do everything they would like. There is nothing a Sk from Culdrose could add to what our boys from 845/846 are already doing.
 

seafarer1939

War Hero
don't forget these are squaddies!they may be able to tie a bowline but a bowline on the bight?never.
Bowline around the shoulders would hve lifted a couple 50 yards to safety,maybe!
 

dickhead

Banned
ctfairway said:
Not_a_boffin said:
IIRC 771s don't have the right DAS for theatre (apart from the performance issues). We don't send cabs to the Stan without them. In addition, the number of cabs out there and their tasking is another issue that needs sorting.

I understand some of the junglies are set up for that at the minute and are doing their thing as we spout. Good luck to them and get back safely.

845 and 846 have been deployed to Afghan with the Sk4 for months. Their tasking is affected by limitiations imposed on their performance due to the high ambient temperature and the height above sea level they are operating. They have been modified by fitting a high performance new main rotor blade but even with this they cannot do everything they would like. There is nothing a Sk from Culdrose could add to what our boys from 845/846 are already doing.
So dispose of the Culdrose Sk's and lease some suitable High Altitude,
High Temperature capable helicopters for Afghanistan
You mentioned 845 Squadron --I well remember the six weeks I served with them in Malaya on Fleet PR duties. Good lads they were then and will be today. But they are only as good as the equipment Our lords Commissioners of the Admiralty and MOD now, supplied then,
and supply now
I don't recall the Russian choppers suffering from the dust and heat and I further recall their winches operating successfully.
They did suffer from the Recalcitrant Dissident Afghan Tribesmen Skallywags firing at them.
More galling for the Russians -the knowledge that those rebels were firing at them with Russian made SAM's they had sold to them in an earlier incarnation.
 

dickhead

Banned
seafarer1939 said:
don't forget these are squaddies!they may be able to tie a bowline but a bowline on the bight?never.
Bowline around the shoulders would hve lifted a couple 50 yards to safety,maybe!
On leaving the navy I served in the army. A long time ago now but I recall my RASC colleague Officers could tie a bowline on the bight that most of the Culdrose Ship's Company colleagues ,I escaped from, would not have had a clue about.
Turks Head? That's a pub In Falmouth Isn't it Roland?
 

Waspie

War Hero
******** said:
ctfairway said:
Not_a_boffin said:
IIRC 771s don't have the right DAS for theatre (apart from the performance issues). We don't send cabs to the Stan without them. In addition, the number of cabs out there and their tasking is another issue that needs sorting.

I understand some of the junglies are set up for that at the minute and are doing their thing as we spout. Good luck to them and get back safely.

845 and 846 have been deployed to Afghan with the Sk4 for months. Their tasking is affected by limitiations imposed on their performance due to the high ambient temperature and the height above sea level they are operating. They have been modified by fitting a high performance new main rotor blade but even with this they cannot do everything they would like. There is nothing a Sk from Culdrose could add to what our boys from 845/846 are already doing.
So dispose of the Culdrose Sk's and lease some suitable High Altitude,
High Temperature capable helicopters for Afghanistan
You mentioned 845 Squadron --I well remember the six weeks I served with them in Malaya on Fleet PR duties. Good lads they were then and will be today. But they are only as good as the equipment Our lords Commissioners of the Admiralty and MOD now, supplied then,
and supply now
I don't recall the Russian choppers suffering from the dust and heat and I further recall their winches operating successfully.
They did suffer from the Recalcitrant Dissident Afghan Tribesmen Skallywags firing at them.
More galling for the Russians -the knowledge that those rebels were firing at them with Russian made SAM's they had sold to them in an earlier incarnation.

You obviously have strong views on the subject.

Write to your MP - he could take it up for you instead of boring us, (well me)!!! :thumright:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters, asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters, asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters - asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF helicopters ready to support French in Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Support deal worth £100m agreed for Puma helicopters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD signs new partnering arrangement with Leonardo Helicopters UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD orders new fleet of cutting-edge Apache helicopters for Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy's next generation helicopters ready for action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HMS Bulwark and Merlin helicopters ready for operations in the Mediterranean MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "RN Lynx Helicopters Came Within 50ft Of Crashing At 92 mph" The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: British and French attack helicopters build strong partnership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF and Navy helicopters assist weather-stricken communities MoD News 7
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy helicopters in NATO submarine-hunting exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Miniature surveillance helicopters help protect front line troops MoD News 3
soleil Western Gazette: "Somerset Pilot Who Became A Voice For Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Herald: "Base In The Duchy For Helicopters At Airport" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil Western Morning News: "Major Safety Probe As Fault Grounds Military Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Navy helicopters help seize heroin in Helmand Current Affairs 0
soleil Mail: "Top Military Brass 'Use Helicopters Like Taxis'" Current Affairs 20
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: Navy helicopters 'bag' Afghan drugs Current Affairs 0
soleil Mail: "US Marines Intercept Drugs Worth £6m With The Help Of Royal Navy Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Navy News: "Helicopters Return To Illustrious" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Telegraph: "Forces To Lose More Helicopters In New Round Of Defence Cuts" The Fleet Air Arm 2
Naval_Gazer Britain to send Apache helicopters to Yemen Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS Navy helicopters exercise with USA's newest aircraft carrier Current Affairs 5
soleil BBC Cornwall: "RNAS Culdrose Merlin Helicopters On NATO Exercise" The Fleet Air Arm 1
gammaguy117 medical assistants on helicopters Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil ThisIsSomerset: "Lynx Effect Sparked Love Of Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil RN Site: "RN Helicopters Scrambled to Stricken Tall Ship" The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse FAA Aircraft and Helicopters Nicknames!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 37
U RM Helicopters '65 and on The Fleet Air Arm 1
trelawney126 Leaked e-mail. Afghanistan Deployment Helicopters Offered Current Affairs 1
T PAC Report criticises MOD over spare parts for helicopters Current Affairs 8
Squirrel Government rejected the offer of 60 Blackhawk helicopters. Current Affairs 23
WhizzbangDai Sikorsky X-2 - future of helicopters? The Fleet Air Arm 4
T So its come to this: renting helicopters for our Forces! Current Affairs 36
C Helicopters The Corps 23
J Helicopters, ships etc carved in ice!!!! The Quarterdeck 0
bigbaddog 'Nam, Helicopters'n'stuff - (Some Brit input-ref:Suez) Diamond Lil's 0
B One for the conspiracy nutballs-Black helicopters!! The Gash Barge 2
Similar threads








































Latest Threads

Top