Height limits

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by sceadugenga, Nov 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe a silly question but i'm seriously considering joining as a submariner. . Even if there is no official height limit, what would you guys say is a sensible maximum height for a submariner? I'm 6'6 and I reckon that being a submariner is going to be a non-starter at that height... Whats the gen?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No problem - sleep in the Torpedo tube... :thumbleft:
  3. I've served with taller, you just have to duck more often
  4. Have known as tall. What branch?could make a difference to your quality of life onboard.
  5. I've not had an in depth look, reading up on it and getting my head together so I can choose sensibly. I'm leaning towards something more intel based...
    I'm still surprised that 26 is too old to be an officer! Not that I wanted to be one anyway :p
  6. You'll be looking at working your way through the Warfare branch then, unless you are looking at the Army or RAF too both of which have direct entry intel routes.
  7. I'm 6' 4'' and served on boats with no problems. Once served with a lad an inch taller.

Befor I joined I had the same worry, have no fear. Good luck anyway.
  8. Tell us more...
  9. Pretty obvious, no direct entry for intelligence in the RN, any opportunities are more likely to emerge from the warfare branch. The Army and the RAF however both have an 'Intelligence Officer' role which is direct entry.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, and what information to you have to quantify that comment? :?
  11. Unless I have said something incorrect in making that statement I fail to see the need for your question.
  12. He said he didn't want to be an officer.

My comment was regarding 'working your way through the Warfare branch' - a tall order in my opinion.
  13. I think he added the "not that i'd want to be one anyway" after I read it, either that or I just didn't see it. My knowledge gets much more limited then, I haven't got a clue whether there are opportunities for ratings to move easily into an intel role - sure somebody on here will though.
  14. If I had the opportunity then i most certainly would have gone for a commision however as at 26 I'm too old (!) then it's a moot point and I'm more than happy doing real work as a rating anyway!
  15. It doesn't offer the same number of sea going opportunities but have you considered the Logistics branch, they take officers until 31.
  16. I had looked at it but it seems counter productive to put a commission before the actual work I'd do. . If I'm any good at the job that inspires me then opportunities will come my way... If I go for a commission in something I don't fancy then it'll only come to grief...
    It's a fair suggestion and thank you.
  17. That's the right approach in my opinion sceadugenga (did I get that right? where the hell did you get that from?). As you clearly recognise, you may have chance to go to the dark side later in your career.

Good luck.
  18. Sceadugenga is ye Auld English, its from Beowulf it's used to refer to Grendel. Although I like Bernard Cornwell's use in his 'Saxon stories'.

I've got my aptitude tests soon so I'll have a chat with the Careers officer about the Submariner option there.

Thank you for all your thoughts. Cheers!
  19. Ah! Beowulf.

Be reading it next week.