Heart(s) of Oak

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
#4
letthecatoutofthebag said:
I am trying to find a mp3 of Heart of Oak.

I know there are many versions knocking around, however, I'm after a copyWITH lyrics not just the instrumental version we've all down loaded to our mobiles (courtesy of HM Band!)

I've tried Google but so far I've drawn a blank...

P.S. I know there are superstitions regarding singing HofO but we've already dipped below the bottom line so we cant go much further...
Have you tried the Amazon Music website.
 
#6
Not sure who gave you that bit of info, but it is news to me as HOA is sung at pickle nights every year and and the Navy continues to operate.
 
#7
Recent BRNC myth. Was never mentioned in my time there(1979-81), though admittedly we did not sing it. But, it has been sung in my present mess, allegedly, for over 200 years now. (One name change in that period by the simple expedient of adding a single letter.) We are still here!
 
#8
Deckhead_Inspector said:
Recent BRNC myth. Was never mentioned in my time there(1979-81), though admittedly we did not sing it. But, it has been sung in my present mess, allegedly, for over 200 years now. (One name change in that period by the simple expedient of adding a single letter.) We are still here!
Would that letter be a "T"?
 
#9
That is the first time I have heard of this superstition since joining in 1969. Sounds like the originator couldn't sing or didn't drink at Mess Dinners.
 
#10
wallace said:
That is the first time I have heard of this superstition since joining in 1969. Sounds like the originator couldn't sing or didn't drink at Mess Dinners.
Or more likely did not know the words. Mind you having said that I have been singing it for years and it must be said the Mob is on a downward slide mmmm perhaps there is something in it :?
 
#11
Come cheer up my lads,
It's to glory we steer
To add something more
To this wonderful year
To honour we call you,
As free men, not slaves
For who are so free
As the sons of the waves

Hearts of oak are our ships
Hearts of oak are our men
We always are ready
Steady, boys, steady
We'll fight and we'll conquer,
Again and again

Our worthy forefathers,
Let's give them a cheer
To climates unknown
Did courageously steer
Through oceans to deserts,
For freedom they came
And dying, bequeathed us
Their freedom and fame

Hearts of oak are our ships
Hearts of oak are our men
We always are ready
Steady, boys, steady
We'll fight and we'll conquer,
Again and again


Slight variants exist, especially with the second verse!
 

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#13
Has anyone got /got a lead to HofOak arranged for the organ (or piano would do) - need it for my funeral, played full blast. No Hurry!
 
#14
letthecatoutofthebag said:
I was told (at a Mess Dinner at BRNC) that if you sang Heart of Oak it would mean the end of the Royal Navy...
I think King Tony (His Tonyness) has been singing it in the bath then :evil:
 
#15
Lamri said:
letthecatoutofthebag said:
I was told (at a Mess Dinner at BRNC) that if you sang Heart of Oak it would mean the end of the Royal Navy...
I think King Tony (His Tonyness) has been singing it in the bath then :evil:
I think if he does sing it Lamri, he only sings the first two lines!
(come cheer up lads, I'ts to glory we steer)......yeah, right!! :evil:
 
#19
Dreadnoughts they be Always, mighty ships for their day. Thats when we had a real Navy. My ship is the one on the left of the piccy!! :wink: Oh, come on, I'm not that old!! :grin:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top