Hearing test

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Arty, Mar 27, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had my medical exam everything was going okay until the hearing test, apparently one ear is excellent and the other is like way down, the doctor even showed me the graph and I was astonished. I was told I would not be entering military. I never have a problem hearing people but the beeps I was having trouble with and I went easy on the button mashing. I wanted to ask if this should this be done in a proper sound booth because the doctor was moving in and out the room closing the door which was making a lot of noise. Also I wanted to ask if noise affects the result as I went running the night before and listened to my music.

What happens now? I was told I would get a letter from AFCO but what just to say don't come back?

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. oh I forgot to ask my main question. Is it worth me appealing? The doctor spoke of this but I didn't really understand.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. You should do the test in a sound booth, so I would appeal and also get the test done properly IMO.

4. I thought so, I know it may be just a door closing/opening, computer fans or w/e but actually its very serious. One ear is better than the other this is clear but the degree of hearing loss was substantially more than I expected in the one ear and I want to have the best chance when doing these kind of tests.

Thanks.

5. Same happened to me, i went to a place with sound booths and my hearing was perfect, find somewhere that can do it for you and get the results sent back to capita. If there is no problem your hearing should be fine and can move on with the process.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You should ideally abstain from loud noises, ie, ear phones for 24 hours before your test too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The medical appointment letter advises people to avoid loud noise for 24 hours prior to the appointment.

The only way to appeal medical suitability in this instance is to undergo an independent hearing test. Once you have the evidence, as undoubtedly already advised by the medical examiner, you have grounds for an appeal.

Appealing on the grounds you have not followed the written advice regarding avoiding excessive noise or that the ambient background noise was excessive will hold no truck without irrefutable evidence that your hearing is in fact OK.

Good luck.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Just to add to the above - I have heard of audiometers having dodgy earphones or being out of date for calibration. It maybe worth asking your AFCO if anyone else failed the hearing test on the same day (we usually get one or two a month).

If there were other hearing test fails on the same day, write to request a re-test. If you were the only fail that day, you'll need an independent test to appeal.

Good luck.

9. Thanks guys for your replies. My hearing is not great, my right ear is worse than the left. I will do an independent test just so I can say I did everything I could and to confirm/disregard that my hearing is that bad. Are there any jobs slightly deaf people (in one ear) can get in the military specifically the navy, I understand if there is not.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  10. It is not likely a problem with equipment as I saw the difference between the two ears. I am just wondering if people already struggle with hearing these sounds and I'm having to focus more to hear them, it cannot help to have all this background noise.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Background noise only becomes a problem to those who fail, although it is often remarked upon. Hearing loss is measured at different frequencies, not volumes. You can hear people OK, but maybe not higher or lower pitched tones in one ear. If you can hear nothing in the affected ear at all frequencies, then you would be completely deaf in that ear and the test would show this.

In this case it's apparent you were already aware of a hearing deficiency in one ear and the test reflected this. The only branches that require particularly sensitive hearing are Aircrew and WS(SSM). All other branches have the same standard.

Worth an independent test just in case - good luck.