Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hearing test

Hi

I'm aware the hearing test has been covered but I've got a bit of a specific question.

I have my medical on the 20th November but I had a routine hearing test a few weeks ago where they found 'cause for concern', so had me back for a more thorough test last Friday. In my left ear I have a problem with high frequencies, this has come under the 'severe' category on the test results. The guy doing the tests couldn't advise me how this would affect my application.
What I want advice on is if I should go and show these results to my AFCO or should I just hold out until the medical, which I am now certain I will fail due to this.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's a bit of a difficult one, if you want it to be. The AFCO staff aren't qualified to reject an applicant on medical grounds - that can only be done by a qualified medical examiner.

They can advise you if there's something they know will be an issue, but it's up to the applicant whether they wish to continue the application up until the point they are told "no" by a qualified medical examiner.

If you know you are going to meet the hearing standards then it's a bit of a moot point, to be honest.

If you have your hearing test results in digital format, email your local AFCO and request your attached results are forwarded to the RN Medical Manager for definitive guidance whether or not the standard for entry is met.

Thanks. I have a print out so I could scan it and email it to him.

I know nothing about the Navy's standards for hearing but if I'm in the 'severe' category on a normal test I'm assuming it will be the same on a military test. I'm preparing for the worst.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Medical/hearing test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Hearing test Health & Fitness 10
JWalker H1 & H2 Hearing test affecting wait times? Health & Fitness 0
P Help - failed hearing test The Quarterdeck 4
MoD_RSS Crime news: online guidance for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: contract amends for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government delivers 250,000 clear face masks to support people with hearing loss MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Planning Inspectorate casework continues as first pilot digital hearing to take place in May MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
C Hearing loss. Health & Fitness 1
F Hearing Back Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS News story: Soundcheck: new acoustic yarn monitors military hearing health MoD News 0
F Slight Hearing problem - Medical Assesment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Medical review-Hearing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
D Requesting records of summary hearing The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: detect and treat hearing loss and tinnitus MoD News 0
D hearing problems Health & Fitness 2
T RFA Hearing requirements - advice needed! RFA 3
fishhead Good Hearing Blue Jokes 1
T Hard of Hearing Blue Jokes 0
E Hearing, I say again, HEARING!!!! Health & Fitness 0
D Hearing Aid!!!!!!! Health & Fitness 12
BARNEYRNSM Noise induced hearing loss Submariners 81
S Time scale for hearing the good news? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Hearing Impairment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
D Am i hearing correct Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
G Ganges62- THE HARD OF HEARING THREAD! Diamond Lil's 129
S Hearing requirements The Corps 11
S Recruitment and hearing problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Live test of EU exit contingency plans on M20 in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than one million cases reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
T Psychometric test simple question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Clinical evaluation confirms accuracy of LAMP test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace continues to improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test to Release: England introduces testing strategy for international arrivals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield’s COVID-19 test centre to expand MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace processes more tests and contacts more positive cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 2 million people reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace hits record testing capacity as over 10 million people tested at least once MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500,000 daily testing capacity reached in ongoing drive to boost test and trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace managing record number of cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 8 October to 14 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NIBSC selected by CEPI to test coronavirus vaccines globally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 1 October to 7 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500 test sites now open as new lab partnerships boost capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests in UK-developed antibody tests from UK Rapid Test Consortium MoD News 0
P Sit up/ press up test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
T Changing Role after fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0