Hearing Impairment

alacrity174

War Hero
Dann

I'm going to be nice for once and give you a bit of a heads up to what might happen on board one of HM Sleek Grey Messengers of Death.

Right, you are doing BOST, your Action Satation is Aft Section base and you are part of a 4 man team, you have full teddybear suit on, BA and big hard hat. Flash bang goes off pipe is made "fire, fire, fire, fire in the AAMR" now your first reaction as part of said 4 man team is to rush to the scene and put out the fire, how is this going to happen if you never hear the pipe in the first placed? Now let's for sake of argument say you do hear the pipe, once you reach the AAMR it can be a little noisey on one of those engineering spaces, when you are told to fight the fire and the instruction comes from the killick stoker I/C 4 man team who is to your port earlobe, covered in antiflash and which you are 90%deaf in, what are you going to do?

Look mate, not trying to be cruel but I don't think life in the RN is in your future.

Drakey

War Hero
Dann said:
When I said no fighting, I meant as in close combat, or the fighting a Marine would do, I'm not that thick not to expect no fighting from the Royal Navy at all, :oops:

It's 50% yeah, I have no problems with my hearing in my day to day life which is why I'm unsure as to whether or not it would effect me in the Navy.

Serving in the navy is not normal day to day life. You've been told the answer. It will effect you in the navy.

A

angrydoc

Dann

The regulations are based on degree of hearing loss rather than percentage but, from what you say, I think it is fair to assume you fall below the minimum standard for all the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Cross-posted to the Medical Standards thread.

Topstop

War Hero
Could try for Gunnery rating . The GIs are usually 90% deaf in their right ear and not much better in the left, thats why they always SHOUT :D usualy it was at me :oops:

dyst0piate

Lantern Swinger
Can anybody elaborate on the hearing grading if they know more about it? I had my medical today and although I passed, the nurse said I did have some unilateral hearing loss, i.e. loss in one ear, so my right ear was 'level 1', and my left was 'level 2'. Just out of curiosity, what level do you have to drop to to fail?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Can anybody elaborate on the hearing grading if they know more about it? I had my medical today and although I passed, the nurse said I did have some unilateral hearing loss, i.e. loss in one ear, so my right ear was 'level 1', and my left was 'level 2'. Just out of curiosity, what level do you have to drop to to fail?

Depends on the trade, but H3 is a no-go for anything RN or RM.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....avy.mod.uk/upload/package/68/br3book/ch05.pdf

by degree of hearing loss what do you mean?

im in the same boat as dann but although i have lost partial hearing to my right i still have over 75% overall hearing for the time being i was told by a navy recruitment officer that was acceptable for that position but he couldn't gaurentee anything as the loss was sudden.