Hearing Impairment

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dann, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I'm extremely interested in joining the Royal Navy, but I'm 90% deaf in one ear and 10% deaf in the other. Now it's never really effected me in School, College or in general, most people don't realise I'm half deaf until I tell them. I want to join the Royal Navy as Engineering Technician, so I wouldn't expect my hearing loss to be that much of a disadvantage considering I won't be fighting, the use of my hearing wouldn't be as vital as it were if I tried joining the Royal Marines.

I can't seem to find the Navy's standards/rules on hearing impairment online, help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. Yeah, just noticed the topic and posted there.

Thanks.

3. pardon, what did you say? sorry bad joke, good luck though and i hope your application is successful

4. Right so, you think the RN will provide a sign language interpreter for you or that Instructors will be willing to repeat themselves, ensure that you can see their lips, talk in your 'better' ears direction etc etc.
    So as a potential member of the crew of one of Her Majesties Ships, (That's what HMS means by the way, which happen to be the way we identify British WARSHIPS, ie they go to WAR.), you don't think you'll have to do any fighting? Hmm think you'll have to run that past the CO of any Unit that gets you as a member, they may have a different opinion.
    What an interesting concept for a branch of the Armed Forces, I think you have mistaken RR for an RAF website!
    As has been mentioned you should read the Medical standards for potential recruits and prepare yourself for a life more ordinary.

5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't sit on the fence now NZB. Say what you think man!

6. I do think someone has a misconception of the importance of hearing in the RN.

7. So you've got 50% hearing in total. You won't pass the hearing test. End of....

8. I was going to be harsh, but decided my acid rapier like wit would be wasted on a plank who thinks the Royal Navy is a grown up version of the Variety Club Summer camp for Differently Able thick as a whale omelette cnuts that he was nominated to attend every year so his family could get some respite from the burden of having to endure his trollishness for the other 48 weeks of the year! (Takes deep breath.)
    So he got the nice version. :twisted:

9. Aaaaah bless. Your showing your true colours at last. All pink and fluffy :wink:

10. I'm being drummed out of the Barstewards Club for being so fcuking helpful to these twunts!

11. When I said no fighting, I meant as in close combat, or the fighting a Marine would do, I'm not that thick not to expect no fighting from the Royal Navy at all, :oops:

It's 50% yeah, I have no problems with my hearing in my day to day life which is why I'm unsure as to whether or not it would effect me in the Navy.

12. How do you sell a sheep to a deaf farmer?

DO YOU WANNA BUY A SHEEP!!!!!???!!! :lol:

13. This has to be some sort of joke...surely... :?

14. Dann

I'm going to be nice for once and give you a bit of a heads up to what might happen on board one of HM Sleek Grey Messengers of Death.

Right, you are doing BOST, your Action Satation is Aft Section base and you are part of a 4 man team, you have full teddybear suit on, BA and big hard hat. Flash bang goes off pipe is made "fire, fire, fire, fire in the AAMR" now your first reaction as part of said 4 man team is to rush to the scene and put out the fire, how is this going to happen if you never hear the pipe in the first placed? Now let's for sake of argument say you do hear the pipe, once you reach the AAMR it can be a little noisey on one of those engineering spaces, when you are told to fight the fire and the instruction comes from the killick stoker I/C 4 man team who is to your port earlobe, covered in antiflash and which you are 90%deaf in, what are you going to do?

Look mate, not trying to be cruel but I don't think life in the RN is in your future.

15. Serving in the navy is not normal day to day life. You've been told the answer. It will effect you in the navy.

16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

This really has to be the poorest attempt at a bite on here. You should stop thinking and start listening.

17. Dann

The regulations are based on degree of hearing loss rather than percentage but, from what you say, I think it is fair to assume you fall below the minimum standard for all the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Cross-posted to the Medical Standards thread.

18. Could try for Gunnery rating . The GIs are usually 90% deaf in their right ear and not much better in the left, thats why they always SHOUT :D usualy it was at me :oops: