Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hearing Aid!!!!!!!

Hi all
Well here we go my first post so I shall try and make it as painless as possible.

I joined Heron April last year after 8 years up road with fast jets and I had to do a hearing test straight away due to my complaint of Tinnitus in my left ear. I was just border line after that test. After a few more tests , due to the nurse not happy with the results, my hearing was slowly deterioting. I was sent to Doncaster Audiooligist for more tests and after 2 more hearing tests it was decided that I would have to wear a hearing aid in my left ear due to a H3 level of hearing.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of what may happen to me.I have heard I will go straight to MBOS with possible permanent downgrade and a possible undeployable downgrade too.
I have heard a number of things but still in the dark about it all.
Will I be able to stay in the Wafu Branch? Will I be completely undeployable?

I hope someone could possibly shine some light on the subject as I have not had much help so far.

Cheers

A

angrydoc

You need to speak to the PMO or DPMO in Heron. S/He will have access to your docs - without seeing the details it's very hard to say, and duff info is worse than nothing.

Cheers Angry doc just wondered if anyone had known of anyone with a hearing aid and what happened to them but i will chase up on monday

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Just out of interest, there's a serving 2 1/2 I know of personally who has a hearing aid but he can't go to sea (P7R or whatever it is these days), as a WAFU you're halfway there already.

Just out of interest, there's a serving 2 1/2 I know of personally who has a hearing aid but he can't go to sea (P7R or whatever it is these days), as a WAFU you're halfway there already.
Cheers there WreckerL ....... well i have done nine years without one day at sea so I could possibly do full service without sea lol.............Can he still go on detachments?????????

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Cheers there WreckerL ....... well i have done nine years without one day at sea so I could possibly do full service without sea lol.............Can he still go on detachments?????????

Dunno about detachments, he's not pushing it if he can go though.

CrashCrew

Lantern Swinger
Deafs mate, whatever happens make sure you get a copy of your audiology results. You will need these in the future when Pusser has finished with you and you end up trying to prove where your deafness originated. I was lucky to be given a set by the Sick Bay Tiff at Seafield Park. Five years later in Civvy Street every medic and his dog tried to blame everything else apart from the Flight Decks and Lines that I worked on for 22 years.
I now have a 28% disability Pension and two hearing aids.
Forewarned is forearmed.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Deafs mate, whatever happens make sure you get a copy of your audiology results. You will need these in the future when Pusser has finished with you and you end up trying to prove where your deafness originated. I was lucky to be given a set by the Sick Bay Tiff at Seafield Park. Five years later in Civvy Street every medic and his dog tried to blame everything else apart from the Flight Decks and Lines that I worked on for 22 years.
I now have a 28% disability Pension and two hearing aids.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Now that's good advice, and make copies of the copies, you'd be surprised how much gets "lost" in the post.

0G1N

Lantern Swinger
Now that's good advice, and make copies of the copies, you'd be surprised how much gets "lost" in the post.

Hear, Hear, I concur with WreckerL that is definitely the thing to do make sure absolutely everything is written down and copied you don't know how right CrashCrew is

2_deck_dash

War Hero
After my missus constantly complained about me having the TV too loud, I decided to get myself checked out.

The test at Nelson came up as showing a minor issue in one ear.

No dramas, keep an eye on it.

3 years later, I decide to bang my chit in. I have a leaving medical, nothing is said.

Another year down the line, I decide to go for a check up, it's been a while and it'd be nice to know what's going on. I see the civvy doc and BOOM! Bilateral hearing loss and severe tinnitus. Hearing aids issued for both ears and I'm officially a spaz. Tried pursuing the mob, but apparently my problem isn't bad enough.

Polto

War Hero
Cheers Angry doc just wondered if anyone had known of anyone with a hearing aid and what happened to them but i will chase up on monday
I had hearing aids for my last two years of service. However, by that time I had completed over thirty years in the mob and was eligible for sea service due to other complications. I believe if my hearing had worsened any further I would in all probability have been kicked out before my time was up - in other words there is a cut off point - having hearing aids does not necessarily imply that you have reached that point. The system will of course look at each case as there are always different circumstances and will then make a judgement based on that set of circumstances. I think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Crime news: online guidance for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: contract amends for sending hearing fees rollout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government delivers 250,000 clear face masks to support people with hearing loss MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Planning Inspectorate casework continues as first pilot digital hearing to take place in May MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
C Hearing loss. Health & Fitness 1
R Medical/hearing test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
F Hearing Back Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS News story: Soundcheck: new acoustic yarn monitors military hearing health MoD News 0
F Slight Hearing problem - Medical Assesment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S Medical review-Hearing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
D Requesting records of summary hearing The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: detect and treat hearing loss and tinnitus MoD News 0
R Hearing test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D hearing problems Health & Fitness 2
T RFA Hearing requirements - advice needed! RFA 3
A Hearing test Health & Fitness 10
fishhead Good Hearing Blue Jokes 1
T Hard of Hearing Blue Jokes 0
E Hearing, I say again, HEARING!!!! Health & Fitness 0
JWalker H1 & H2 Hearing test affecting wait times? Health & Fitness 0
BARNEYRNSM Noise induced hearing loss Submariners 81
S Time scale for hearing the good news? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Hearing Impairment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
D Am i hearing correct Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
P Help - failed hearing test The Quarterdeck 4
G Ganges62- THE HARD OF HEARING THREAD! Diamond Lil's 129
S Hearing requirements The Corps 11
S Recruitment and hearing problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: recruitment launch for Legal Aid Review Panel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK sends vital aid to refugees affected by Greek camp fire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our commitment to the Syrian people and the aid community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary commits to more effective and accountable aid spending under new Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Aid Convoy’ removed from register and trustees disqualified after management failings put charity at undue risk of associations with terrorism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wild polio wiped out in Africa with UK aid support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £50 million for legal aid sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to protect high street supply chains MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK pledges more aid for Beirut crisis at global summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CBILS: EU State Aid Rules and “undertakings in difficulty” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Liverpool scientists receive UK aid to save lives from deadly diseases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid funding available for innovative energy projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid will help provide millions of Palestinians with healthcare and education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring aid reaches north-east Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF flights to take UK aid-funded supplies to Africa to tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Psychological first aid in emergencies training for frontline staff and volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid-backed drone technology supports Ghana's coronavirus fight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yemen: New UK aid will help stop the spread of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA signs multimillion-pound framework agreement to aid development of fusion energy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid supporting the fight against coronavirus in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Culture Commissioner named and Taskforce set up to aid sector recovery from coronavirus MoD News 0