Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Heads up, Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown doco

Seaweed

War Hero
RIP
Book Reviewer
2100 BBC2 this coming Sunday The Glorious 1st of June, bio-doco on Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown whose many exploits included the landing of a Vamplire wheels-up on an experimental rubber deck on HMS Warrior.

Thanks for the heads up Seaweed. The Captain is one of my naval heroes. An officer from the foreground of history - he interrogated Hermann Göring. Quite a dude as the kids would say.

Skipper at lossiemouth in 1970, he relieved me of a good conduct badge.
Mind he was jind he could have taken me hook:shaking2:

He gave a talk at RAF Wyton a few weeks back for Huntingdon RAFA, it was the same night as our RNA meeting so we missed out.

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

BBC2 documentary on Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown tomorrow (Sunday ) 1st June at 9.00

There is a BBC2 documentary on Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown tomorrow (Sunday ) 1st June at 9.00pm.

Surely enough there for a whole series, not just a 1 hour programme! What an amazing life, and icy calm with it.

btw in the 'Mosquito' section, in order to be struck down via the forward lift with wings folded, it conveniently changed into a Sea Hornet.

Surely enough there for a whole series, not just a 1 hour programme! What an amazing life, and icy calm with it.

btw in the 'Mosquito' section, in order to be struck down via the forward lift with wings folded, it conveniently changed into a Sea Hornet.

There were a number of errors in the production - the biplane landing on when he described a Gladiator was a Swordfish - but they didn't really detract from a fascinating insight into a remarkable man.

To my shame, I hadn't heard of this chap until I read this thread. Didn't realise how ignorant I was of Naval history.

Just watched it on iPlayer & feel quite humble. What an incredible man, what an amazing life. Thank God I never served on the same ship as him, how could anybody ever 'black cat' him?!

Truly inspirational.

Latest Threads