Hayfever with a wheeze

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Archetype, Feb 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. Just a quick question about the medical screening for Officer applications. If I used to suffer from Hay fever with a wheeze, (about 2-3 years back), would this still bar me from entry? Or is that ranked alongside Asthma and needs 4 years of clearence? I always assumed it wasn't as severe as Asthma as it was just a temporary summertime condtion. Let me know. Thanks.
  2. Shouldn't worry about that - there aren't many flowers at sea.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Angrydoc will probably give a more coherent answer however it depends on the extent to which you were affected & what you were prescribed.

If you had an inhaler then: "There may be a problem Houston."
  4. Oh, one other thing.

As an extension to the medical theme, will it bar from entry if I declare on my medical questionnaire that I have a history of illness (specifically diabetes) in the family. One of my grandparents was diabetic.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You've got the luck of the three blind [email protected] eh..........
  6. Wait there's more...My MedicoDiagnosis USB is picking up a dose of crotch rot, genital warts and a rather nasty case of athlete's foot.
    Archetype your Naval career can only be saved by presenting yourself before a Naval doctor in person and undergoing a Medical.
  7. Hayfever (as stated ad infinitum on various threads)

If you've had to take time off work as a result of hayfever, you are unsuitable for service.
    If you have had to take steroid (prednisolone) tablets, then you are unsuitable for service.
    If you've had to use an inhaler for wheeze then you must be free of it for 4 years.
    However, there are various caveats depending on which branch you want to join - aircrew, for example, have tighter standards.

Family history of diabetes - not a concern.