Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Backpacker1uk, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

This does not surprise me in the slightest.

A couple of years back I made a monthly direct debit to a UK breast cancer charity, stating that I wished to remain anonymous & did not want newsletters, mailshots, phonecalls or emails.

After a year of bombardment asking for more donations & literally dozens of glossy leaflets posted to me I gave-up writing to request they stop wasting money, I wrote (for the fourth time) to them to state that as they were clearly more intent on spending money on trying to generate more money from me rather than investing in research, they had lost my donation.

These charities are mis-managed in the extreme & it's my belief that the reason they need so much money is simply to keep the over paid idiots at the top.
  2. And very profitable to the workers as well. The annual wages bill includes:

1 person on £250,000
    2 people on £150,000
    2 people on £140,000
    3 people on £130,000
    4 people on £120,000
    7 people on £100,000
    9 people on £90,000
    21 people on £80,000
    38 people on £70,000
    and 4,000 people receving up to £60,000 per anum.

Average payrise 5.2%

Almost as good as being a banker.
    Anyone want a job.

Taken from there annual financial statement 2008.
  3. Likewise. I sent money for a animal protection society the money I donated must have been spent sending back all the info on the latest campaign and a big please send more money.
  4. Needless to say I do give to cancer charities as I will need them it's all the rest I've stopped.
    Woman in the street thrust a tin in my face saying "donate to save the animals" I replied that I eat animals!
    Her face was a picture,it went red and she sort of tried to slap my face.
    Told her the gravest offence in the Royal Navy was having sex with farmyard animals on Goverment Property!
    Off she waddled.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Quite right too.

...and if it catches fire, you're really in trouble.
  6. I donate to several charities but like others here, those that have pestered me with incessant junk mail have lost my support. Ironically having received no replies to requests to desist posting leaflets etc when I cancelled the direct debits on two charities this year they finally contacted me to ask why! :roll:

The worst offender was the MS Society who kept pestering my mother despite numerous letters over many years pointing out my new address. Earlier this year I threatened legal action under the DPA and they finally stopped.

I'm pleased to say that none of the service charities behave in this manner and will thus continue to benefit. Why can't other charities behave reasonably?
  7. It is times like these that I love my dog Cnut
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've lost count of the amount of charities I have turned down over the years asking me to provide free work/appearances etc. One look at the offices and all the smart cars parked outside them told me enough. bloody glad I'm out of that game now. Charity begins at home, there's nowt wrong with supporting the forces charities, hols4 heroes etc, sod the rest.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Interestingly, before the days of the very well organised Help 4 Heroes was established there was a one-off service charity established which very poorly managed by the shoddy trustees, in my humble opinion.

It was called the South Atlantic fund.

The fund came about because the red-top tabloids started appealing for the public to support our troops before the task force even sailed. Money started pouring in, much to the bemusement of the government as it wasn't expected nor deemed necessary initially.

The money reached about £8.5M before the end of the conflict if I recall correctly & as there was no single intent from the many millions who donated, the trustees took it upon themselves to register it as a charitable trust with the charities commission, with the initial intent of assessing the needs of the families of the bereaved & those injured. As the fund was for a single specific event, the terms in which it was permitted to exist, the trust deed, gave a finite timescale in which to disperse the fund, at the end of which the charity was to hold zero funds & be dispersed.
    A fleet of Volvos was procured by the trustees to visit the “needy†across the UK & assess individual needs, paying subsistence for the appointed & salaried assessors. Payments were then made to existing Service benevolent funds, but only from the interest on the fund and the means of assessing the needs was determined by the income of the maimed or killed serviceman. In other words, rank determined the amount paid. The fund was eventually fully dispersed through the service charities, the initial sum untouched.

The trustees, rather than hang their heads in shame in the way in which money was paid out, went on to be given various honours & awards for their “charitable†efforts - one of which involved a formal annual trustees dinner at the expense of the fund.

How do I know?

Well, each year they tried to claim back the tax on the cost of the dinner and incidental expenses. My Father, who worked in the Inland Revenue Charities section told them to get stuffed annually as it had nothing to do with the charitable status and EACH dinner cost more than any single sum paid to the injured or bereaved.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NJ: See also the Princess Diana Fund, which seems to operate on a similar theme... :oops: :roll:
  11. Oh gawd, is that true! I never, ever touched a sheep in my life, cross my heart and hope to die in a cellar full of ewes, bollox, I mean rats!!! :oops:
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There are to many charities set up with supposedly the same aims (there may be more but I can think of two major cancer charities, I haven't a clue how many smaller one there are) if they were all amalgamated into one charity for each cause think of the savings to be made. Of course it would mean a lot of job losses amongst the board members and paid fund raisers.

I read somewhere that it takes a couple of years of your direct debit donations before any of that money comes into use for those that it was raised for, the rest goes in admin and commision costs
  13. just as a rider replying to a couple of posts,I have nothing against animals in fact I've been to bed with a few,but I grew up on a farm,there is no room for animals feelings.
    We killed pigs every month 6 at a time,poor buggers knew their time was coming but we couldn't wait to watch and get the bladder for a football.
    Dogs who were not doing their job were shot,hens who stopped laying went in the pot.
    Farmers are a different breed,when we sold the farm my father had a Jack Russell and he would rather see me put down before him!and he could never shoot a rabbit after all that farmyard killing he had done,had enough I guess.

I'm not against animals unless they shit on my lawn!
  14. Many of the big Charities have decided to play hardball.After years of asking nicely they have decided the emotional blackmail and bullying actually brings in more cash.We have all seen the young(usually) people on our local High Street stopping any one who looks like they may have a couple of quid wanting you to set up monthly direct debits to a particular charity.These people are paid commision for everyone they sign up and have no direct link with the charity involved.You are confronted with questions which normaly you could only answer "yes" to.For instance "are you happy to see children starving in Africa?"Once you have replied it is very difficult to escape.I give to and support various charities but it has to be on my terms not theirs.
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

NotmeChief wrote

Linky please?
  16. My friends niece worked for a cancer charity .She had a car cant remember what make it was but a lot of money type care ..She once asked her uncle for some donation he said no not while you drive around in cars like that and get the money you do .She went away with a flea in her ear :D
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Thanks for the link Stirling. I'd like to think that the big salaries were going to the scientists and their techies but on CR's website I read of a technician being offered less than a 'front of house' type.

Doesn't make the reported remark; 'cancer - brills' any less crass but I'm not convinced that Cancer Reseach are pi$$ing money away that should be spent on research. The full time workers need to be paid the going rate. Perhaps a look at the lab/office balance wouldn't go amiss.