Have we gone 'Yank'..?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by R12_CV, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many years ago I decided to choose the elite path towards becoming a skimmer, so never did the deep thing. :D
    However, as I was based at Dolphin for a prolonged period in FMT (eq) I became an 'honoury' bubble-ed. One night out I once called the tall black superstructure on a boat '...the fin' 8O This prompted a short/sharp lesson for me, and I remember the lad telling me;

'IT'S A CONNING TOWER, not a fin...! Its' sole use to house the scopes. Yanks call it a fin, WE call it a Conning Tower'
    This was during the P&O era.

Now, my lad is currently on his 'launcher' course at Fas and yesterday referred to this tall black superstructure as a 'Fin'.

So, have we gone Yank..?

2. The Septics call it a "Sail" always called it the Fin myself :?

3. So a bum-steer then all those years ago?

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmmmm, I refer to it as a "fin", but talk about "going up the conning tower".

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

T, A, P and O Boats the Fin (Yank Sail) is the streamling for the various masts and a surface bridge platform to give better visibility.
    Conning tower are the double air lock hatches that lead into the pressure hull.

6. Surely as "we" invented the submarine, whatever "we" call it, its correct and whatever "you" call it, its incorrect!!!!!

Standby incoming....................

7. Cheers lads, I see why my lad looked at me like I was a skimmer [email protected] :roll:

*Thats ma boy!!!* :D

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Poor lad, as if he hasn't got enough problems with you being a Water Fairy. :wink:

9. The modern underwater boat proposal was made by the Englishman William Bourne who designed a prototype submarine in 1578. Unfortunately for him these ideas never got beyond the planning stage. The first submersible proper to be actually built in modern times was built in 1620 by Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel, a Dutchman in the service of James I: it was based on Bourne's design. It was propelled by means of oars. The precise nature of the submarine type is a matter of some controversy; some claim that it was merely a bell towed by a boat. Two improved types were tested in the Thames between 1620 and 1624.

Define "invent" surely 1620 was before the land of the ignorant came in to being? :D

10. Utter bollox and you know it.

A submarine is a watercraft capable of independent operation below the surface of the water. It differs from a submersible, which has only limited underwater capability. The term submarine most commonly refers to large crewed autonomous vessels; however, historically or more casually, submarine can also refer to medium sized or smaller vessels (midget submarines, wet subs), Remotely Operated Vehicles or robots. The word submarine was originally an adjective meaning "under the sea", and so consequently other uses such as "submarine engineering" or "submarine cable" may not actually refer to submarines at all. Submarine was shortened from the term "submarine boat", and is often further shortened to "sub".

11. Or indeed 'boat'!! :D

12. How very dare you!!
    Its a submarine or boat NOT a sub!!
    And we diesel weasels always called the fin 'the fin'!!!

13. As has been posted earlier it has always been the fin and the conning tower is the space between the upper and lower lids for access to the bridge and the fin itself.

14. So if you discount this example you must also discount the Turtle 1775 and the Hunley 1864 both human powered.

So lets list other firsts;

The French Plongeur, launched in 1863, and used a compressed air engine.

The first combustion-powered submarine was Ictineo II, designed in Spain by Narcís Monturiol with peroxide and steam propulsion1867.

The first electrically powered vessel built by the Spanish engineer and sailor Isaac Peral for the Spanish Navy. It it was armedwith two torpedoes which it fired whilst dived. 1890

John Philip Holland (Irish) in 1896 put that lot together with a petrol engine for surface running and battery charging for those on the other side of the pond :D

1904 French made a Diesel electric.

15. where does it say it HAS to be mechanically powered?

It says, independantly, ie not from a seperate source. The Hunley didnt rely on anything outside the sub did it?

16. It's a fecking "boat", get it right, a "sub" is what you get at "Subway", ffs.... :wink:

17. It's a Sub as in short for Submarine, a boat is a vessel for traveling on water and not under it!

18. As you are not a "boatman" I wouldn't expect you to understand, a floating vessel is a "target" not a boat.... 8)

19. So we go back to my original offering The original inventor, Cornelius Drebbel, 1621

So the good old UnSevicable of America didnt invent it mearly improved it

20. One would expect a “fin†to contribute something to hydrodynamic stability and/or manoeuvrability but, hey, there we go.