Have VA eyesight requirements changed?

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can offer me a glimmer of hope.

I was Googling RN eyesight requirements in the hope they had changed the VA2 category to no longer give preference to the right eye.

I them stumbled upon the following document which indicates 6/6 just has to be the 'better eye'. Now I'm aware this is for a training course but it explicitly stated VAII at the top, and is on the RN Website.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media...cer/11_01_ops_eyesight_standards.pdf?la=en-gb

Please can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thank you.

Slimeman

JRA

Midshipman
Similar topic, so I didn't think it was worth starting another thread.

Have VA eyesight requirements for Warfare Officer changed since this was published?

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/reference-library/br3vol1

In particular, I'd like to know whether or not this Eligibility Matrix is up to date.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...20160714-chap-7-para-0759-jem-rm-rn-rfa-o.pdf

It states that the requirement is VA2, but my AFCO insists it's VA1, and hasn't yet shown me any documents proving this.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Similar topic, so I didn't think it was worth starting another thread.

Have VA eyesight requirements for Warfare Officer changed since this was published?

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/reference-library/br3vol1

In particular, I'd like to know whether or not this Eligibility Matrix is up to date.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...20160714-chap-7-para-0759-jem-rm-rn-rfa-o.pdf

It states that the requirement is VA2, but my AFCO insists it's VA1, and hasn't yet shown me any documents proving this.
That eligibility matrix is actually an old one and the new one is not, so far as I'm aware in the public domain. But...

Warfare Officer is VA2, CP1
Aircrew Officer is VA1 CP1

Very often people confuse VA and CP.

Remaining slightly on topic, regarding laser eye surgery. It seems strange to me that pre operation eye sight standards must meet entry standards. Any idea why this is the case?
Surely if surgery allows to required entry standards to be met then that should be acceptable for entry.
Given the developments in eye surgery in recent times is it likely that this policy may change in the future and allow people to have surgery to meet the entry standards?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Remaining slightly on topic, regarding laser eye surgery. It seems strange to me that pre operation eye sight standards must meet entry standards. Any idea why this is the case?
Surely if surgery allows to required entry standards to be met then that should be acceptable for entry.
Given the developments in eye surgery in recent times is it likely that this policy may change in the future and allow people to have surgery to meet the entry standards?
Agreed, it does seem odd but I gather the reason is to enable people to apply for jobs requiring higher standard visual acuity - if the surgery is not successful, they will still hopefully meet the generic standard for entry in a different role.

Laser Surgery, from a service perspective, is relatively "new" and therefore the service will err on the side of caution until they have a reliable source of verified data. The issues at present are it's not always as successful as the marketeers would like us to believe.

Laser Surgery, from a service perspective, is relatively "new"
I remember the statement being made back in the late 90's that it was 'new' and therefore not allowed for serving members.
Is that still in force?

Not that I would get laser surgery, apparently it only corrects one issue, short or long sighted (take yer pick!) - I've just shelled out for a decent pair of reading glasses and a pair of distance glasses for driving. My eyesight from 1 to 5 foot is perfect though!:cool:

I remember the statement being made back in the late 90's that it was 'new' and therefore not allowed for serving members.
Is that still in force?

Not that I would get laser surgery, apparently it only corrects one issue, short or long sighted (take yer pick!) - I've just shelled out for a decent pair of reading glasses and a pair of distance glasses for driving. My eyesight from 1 to 5 foot is perfect though!:cool:
Good quality Veri focal, used to have perfic eyes, now have no focal point without Glasses

Good quality Veri focal, used to have perfic eyes, now have no focal point without Glasses
Thought about vari focal but didn't want to wear at work in front of the computer. If I start with vari I might have to wear glasses all the time

Thought about vari focal but didn't want to wear at work in front of the computer. If I start with vari I might have to wear glasses all the time
Not sure Varifocals would be of use to you as you have good PC vision, the way they make Varifocals is the lens is distance at top and reading at bottom, somewhere in the difference as you go from one to the other would be your PC distance? I may be wrong.

Not sure Varifocals would be of use to you as you have good PC vision, the way they make Varifocals is the lens is distance at top and reading at bottom, somewhere in the difference as you go from one to the other would be your PC distance? I may be wrong.
To be honest, thats what I thought as well.