Have I messed up my chances of joining?

Twizzy91

Hi guys, apologies of this a daft question. I'm 27 and have been weighing up applying to the navy for quite some time. It is definitely what I want to do without a doubt and I'm now at a point in my life where I feel its the right time for me. My question is, as a teenager I got into a spot of bother due to behaving like a prat and acting out after my mother's death, ultimately I was done for arson at aged 14/15 for starting a small fire in a bin with a group of friends, which I had to attend the local youth offending team weekly for a couple of months, no custodial or anything. I think if I remember rightly. Since the age of 15 I haven't been in any trouble, I've led a quiet life. Is that an outright bar for joining or with it being so long ago can I still join? I praying for the latter as I will hate myself for screwing up an opportunity to do what I want to do in life by being an idiotic teenager who made stupid decisions.

D

Deleted 493

Hi guys, apologies of this a daft question. I'm 27 and have been weighing up applying to the navy for quite some time. It is definitely what I want to do without a doubt and I'm now at a point in my life where I feel its the right time for me. My question is, as a teenager I got into a spot of bother due to behaving like a prat and acting out after my mother's death, ultimately I was done for arson at aged 14/15 for starting a small fire in a bin with a group of friends, which I had to attend the local youth offending team weekly for a couple of months, no custodial or anything. I think if I remember rightly. Since the age of 15 I haven't been in any trouble, I've led a quiet life. Is that an outright bar for joining or with it being so long ago can I still join? I praying for the latter as I will hate myself for screwing up an opportunity to do what I want to do in life by being an idiotic teenager who made stupid decisions.
Mate 12 years ago. There's plenty of ex-offenders in the mob (some from more recent than that) and they have joined, adapted successfully and benefitted greatly from the lifestyle.

As said, speak about it to AFCO, be honest, show you have zero intent on that happening again and you'll be okay.

Levers

Twizzy91

Thanks so much for your replies. Greatly appreciate your help. Onwards and upwards, fingers crossed I will be well on my way soon :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Once the penalty is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, an application can be processed.

Interestingly, Arson is one of the few offences in which a waiver of the rehab period will not be considered.

For a case were some youngsters set a bin and contents alight, and no associated consequences re property, life etc, I would have thought 'arson' was a bit Ott. In my day as a plod, it would have been considered 'malicious mischief'....As advised, full disclosure is the way to go....best of luck!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would agree with superpom, Arson seems heavy if its as stated, criminal damage would normally be the charge.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Messed up my forms. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O Feel like I'm being messed around... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS UK Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
E AA ET/ME Recruitment chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
TechFin The Chances of becoming an officer with only A-levels? The Fleet Air Arm 19
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
John the Baptist Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Onestep Chances of comando aricrew The Fleet Air Arm 36
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
J Chances of becoming lightning II pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
southernbhoy96 Asthma chances need advice Health & Fitness 10
A Chances Of Selection Into BRNC for Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
C Medical chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B F-35 Pilot chances? The Fleet Air Arm 18
ISeeThreeShips Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
I Chances of Getting Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
J Selection Interview Success !!! Realistic chances of a commission ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B What the chances? RFA 4
N Realistically - what are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
O Fleet Air Arm chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Chances of changing from Warfare GS to Aircrew? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P So many Newbies..Whats our chances??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trelawney126 New Blow to Bliars chances of becomming EU President Current Affairs 15
T Wreath Claim - Has Boris scuppered chances of becoming PM The Gash Barge 3
GuyC What are my chances!? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B could acute sciatica hinder my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
B What are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L leaving it late-what are my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 18
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0