Have I messed up my chances of joining?

Twizzy91

Hi guys, apologies of this a daft question. I'm 27 and have been weighing up applying to the navy for quite some time. It is definitely what I want to do without a doubt and I'm now at a point in my life where I feel its the right time for me. My question is, as a teenager I got into a spot of bother due to behaving like a prat and acting out after my mother's death, ultimately I was done for arson at aged 14/15 for starting a small fire in a bin with a group of friends, which I had to attend the local youth offending team weekly for a couple of months, no custodial or anything. I think if I remember rightly. Since the age of 15 I haven't been in any trouble, I've led a quiet life. Is that an outright bar for joining or with it being so long ago can I still join? I praying for the latter as I will hate myself for screwing up an opportunity to do what I want to do in life by being an idiotic teenager who made stupid decisions.

D

Deleted 493

Hi guys, apologies of this a daft question. I'm 27 and have been weighing up applying to the navy for quite some time. It is definitely what I want to do without a doubt and I'm now at a point in my life where I feel its the right time for me. My question is, as a teenager I got into a spot of bother due to behaving like a prat and acting out after my mother's death, ultimately I was done for arson at aged 14/15 for starting a small fire in a bin with a group of friends, which I had to attend the local youth offending team weekly for a couple of months, no custodial or anything. I think if I remember rightly. Since the age of 15 I haven't been in any trouble, I've led a quiet life. Is that an outright bar for joining or with it being so long ago can I still join? I praying for the latter as I will hate myself for screwing up an opportunity to do what I want to do in life by being an idiotic teenager who made stupid decisions.
Mate 12 years ago. There's plenty of ex-offenders in the mob (some from more recent than that) and they have joined, adapted successfully and benefitted greatly from the lifestyle.

As said, speak about it to AFCO, be honest, show you have zero intent on that happening again and you'll be okay.

Levers

Twizzy91

Thanks so much for your replies. Greatly appreciate your help. Onwards and upwards, fingers crossed I will be well on my way soon :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Once the penalty is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, an application can be processed.

Interestingly, Arson is one of the few offences in which a waiver of the rehab period will not be considered.

For a case were some youngsters set a bin and contents alight, and no associated consequences re property, life etc, I would have thought 'arson' was a bit Ott. In my day as a plod, it would have been considered 'malicious mischief'....As advised, full disclosure is the way to go....best of luck!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would agree with superpom, Arson seems heavy if its as stated, criminal damage would normally be the charge.