Have I made wrong job choice?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rausman1, Jan 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm starting HMS Raleigh in May after waiting 3 years. Looking forward to it but I'm going in as a supply chain logistician and after really researching that I could just end up in a store room stacking and moving tins of beans I'm starting to regret it. Is it really like that or will I have a bit more of an exciting role?

Should I have gone for aircraft controller and/or is it possible to change one I'm at Raleigh.

Ps I won't want to change if some one can convince me supply chain logistician is more exciting than loving around tins of beans

Cheers

2. There's more to being a jack dusty than stacking beans and you have little chance of branch changing at Raleigh. Once your in the fleet you'll have more opportunity if you genuinely don't like it.

3. OMM

OMM War Hero

Took you 3 years to realise you may not like it....

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

You have to order stores as well. Take note of this bit, it must be hard as I have recently come across a POSA who couldn't write a signal STOREDEM.

• Like Like x 1
  5. What's a POSA and a STOREDEM

6. Yes, you have made the wrong choice. No-one cares about the blanket stackers, everyone loves the AC. You could have been a GOD.

• Like Like x 2
  7. It is a really easy job, other people find the item number, check it's availability, check their allowance, put the MATDEM in and wait for it. All you do is fob them off, damage it, loose it and blame them or say it does not exist.

But my favourite is, you receive it, strip it of all paperwork and leave it in the rain!

Dripping aside, you can get some civvey quals out of it, forklift, logistics, hazardous goods etc. loads of shore drafts, access to free stuff, no watch keeping. Quite a bit of paperwork and people generally dripping over you all day.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 'kin ell, that's scary.
    (er... not having a go Tiddly but I've been outside for a few years now - we had to write our own STOREDEM signals. Has something changed or, as usual :scratch: have I missed something?

9. Do you think I will have a chance after raleigh to transfer to AC

10. Well I haven't started my logistics training so understandable why I havent a clue what Storedem is.

Homework time

11. I still think it's not about what you actually do in the mob.
    It's what you make of it. Your mates, the crap you get up to.
    Hell I have been out too long to give a shit or care.
    Go for AC, 95% homosexuals can't be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  12. You can TX after basic, depending on timing, who your instructor/s are in phase 1 & 2 are it may be sooner. I branch changed and it is a bit of effort, but just let people know from the start, but ensure you put 110% in to your logistic training, to show willing and find out as much as you can about the AC branch, course pipeline, where, criteria etc.

I'm sure some AC failed wafu will jump in shortly.

Also check out BR3 on line that will have some info.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No.

The Attestation Form, (MOD Form 3049), the contract you "sign-on", which EVERY individual has explained to them at interview, pre-entry brief & prior to physically "signing-on" states:

"The Careers Adviser has explained the jobs available to me & understand that once I have joined there is no possibility whatsoever of transferring trades."

There are those who apply to transfer to another job after joining but it's certainly not something to which you are entitled. I'd estimate about 90% of transfer applications for trained ratings are turned down.

AC entry requirements differ markedly from your chosen branch - Speak to your AFCO tomorrow.

Good luck

14. I'll bite it means stores demand.

15. Logreq is used when returning from sea, there is also a Matdem but dusties change the forms every other AMP. Just as you get to understand what the white mafia are on about they change it all, Scribes are particularly adept at this art.

16. Think of the excitement when you and the Chancre Bosun write out your first Pratique and Logistics signal to enter some god forsaken port.

17. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I've never written a MATDEM signal, loads of OPDEF's, but the MATDEM's have always been the dusty's perk. Big and small ships.
    For what it's worth, said POSA stalled me all day onwriting his signal when I needed the DTG for my OPDEF. When I went to look for him again to see if he'd done it, he'd nipped over to Lusty to get their duty SA to do it cos he couldn't remember how to. If you're reading this R--- B-----, you are a useless ****.

18. Ha ha

Sent from my non-iPhone using Tapatalk

19. This strikes home because it is the very same mistake that I made all those years ago. I was talked into being an S,A, by the recruiting department because I worked in the stock room at Woolworths and my parents who thought it was posher sounding than seaman gunner which I wanted to be, and Dad said it was the only way he would give consent. But I wanted to come on leave all bronzy from far away places and did not have the brains to work out that I could wait untill 18. I knew I was in the wrong branch from day one. I kept slapping in to recat. and kept getting knocked back"We spent a lot of money to train you, you cant just go chopping and changing at will." Said with a smug smirk. So I took the best of it, looked good in a sailors suit when we changed rigs flashed my duty frees up the line and had some dramatic runs ashore. But I could have achieved so much more in the branch I wanted. Any D.Os or Ninga wish to comment regarding ratings stuck in the wrong job.I'm going back to the 50s, what is pussers attitude today?

20. You're quite right, due to beer prior to posting and the passage of time I managed to blur the distinction between OPDEF and STOREDEM signals. :oops:

(I've been given the DTG runaround as well but thankfully not to the extent you had to put up with)