Haunting

The_Caretaker

War Hero
Where I work in the school, we have many unusual things happen, in the top floor studio I have seen a fireman, (Building was bombed the the 2nd world war) fire killed. Lots of staff have heard him walking about, I am the only one who has seen him. Went up there with night vison camera cought a big flash of light on camera, unable to see with out camera and orbs dancing about. The imf meter went wild.

The_Caretaker

War Hero
One I found on Arrse

When I was a newly posted subby to a certain Regt in Germany, I was in a mixed Mess with 7 other subbys, some of whom I had known for a while. My room was next door to an old LE Major, who was something of a father figure to me.

At the end of my first week, I had a few bevvies in the Kellar bar with the others, but exhausted, retired to bed around midnight.

As I was falling asleep, someone opened my door, walked over to my bed and stood there. Keeping my eyes half closed and hoping he would go away, I thought it was one of my mates wanting me to go back to the party. I remember thinking, "why is N*** in a blue uniform?"

The next morning (with everyone clutching their heads and hangovers) I casually asked which joker had tried to get me back to the party. All denied it, and on impulse I asked if the Mess was haunted. One of them said yes, by a young German Panzer subaltern.

Each night, just before I fell asleep, the door opened and a tall, well built young man in a blue uniform walked up to my bed, stood there beathing quietly, and then left. I was a strong, fit and very warry YO but it got to the point where I couldn't fall asleep until this person had paid his visit. I eventually confided in my neighbour, who cheerfully told me that his old friend the NAAFI manager who'd had the rooms before him and had died of a heart attack in bed, often paid him a visit. He also knew of my visitor - he said "he just wants to know who you are - he will go soon". After a couple of weeks the visits stopped.

A few months later I happened to be the first down in the Kellar bar and found the elderly Scottish lady who manned the bar sat in the Skittle Alley. When I asked her why, she said that she had run the bar for years, but had grown so frightened by the footsteps that walked in front of her bar, and the red lights that danced across the room, that she would wait in the Alley until one of us came down.

The Transit Accommodation in the same Regt was also supposed to be haunted and the soldiers hated having to use it.

polariod

Lantern Swinger
I was once a gash hand in Dolphin, waiting to move to SM10 and was made Skipper of the greenies heads. Every morning a big Guinness sinking LOEM used to run in, trousers at the short trail and dive into Trap 1.

The thought of cleaning Trap 1 haunts me to this day!!

Polaroid.

I'm didn't used to be overly convinced about all this stuff, but after a few 'experiences' I've had along the way in life, I'm a lot more open minded than I used to be.

Both dits I have about the Service are second hand though I'm afraid. One is from when I was on Spartan, and a cetain Killick WEM claimed to have seen a ghost of some sort walk into the JR's mess when the boat was docked in AFD 60. He had a bit of a drink problem (understatement) but as he was soberish at the time, and his oppo also seen the same, it gets a lot harder to discount.

The other goes back to trade training, when a lad was alone one night in one of the blocks at Sultan. He was on the second floor, doing his laundry, when suddenly his boom box stopped and the room got damned cold. At that point, he turned around, and saw a ghostly figure, very clearly definable, with an old type Nos 1's suit on and a black coloured hat. The figure basically just smiled at him then vanished. Said lad was well shit up for a long time. I give it credance as he was a fairly switched on kiddy, and not given to telling tales or attention seeking in any way. Also, when you talked to him about it, he just seemed to give off the vibe of being straight up, and that counted for a lot with me.

One more thing about the block that happened in (I think it was Rodney block maybe? I was in Hood) was that one mess on the bottom floor was always left locked up and full of old beds and junk, no matter how busy Sultan was, they never, ever seemed to use it. Apparently, people kept feeling unsettled when they stayed in it etc. One night, we were in the block in the mess opposite having a few illicit wets, and at about 3 in the morning, you'd swear you could hear beds shaking/getting scraped along the floor. Maybe imagination, who knows? I dont.

Also, talking of Spartan, there was a cetain Jock Steward who had some real issues with his house in Dumbarton, to the point of actually having to get the Church into have a look around, but I'll leave that dit for him in case he pops up on here. Basically though, he had furniture moving, noises, and even chairs backing up against the doors so when he and the wife would go out, they couldn't get back in again!

I had a few experiences in later life when I bought my first home, but not exactly 'Jack' related, so I'll leave those out. They did make me more ready to accept that there may be some things we cant comprehend.

The_Caretaker said:
Do you have any stories on Hauntings at the bases you have stayed or at home.
:lol:

I think the wardroom of HMS DAEDALUS had a particularly active ghost in the early 90s.

When I was there, I went out one Friday night (Bun Penny, Belle Vue, Nelson's, Emmas etc), and when I woke up the next morning, he'd p1ssed on the floor, thrown up in the sink, chucked my stuff everywhere and the whole place smelled of chilli sauce.

B*stard!

andym

War Hero
Haslar has loads.On the Kids ward was a side room,if a teddy bear wasnt placed on the empty bed aChild crying was to be heard untill the Teddy was placed back on the bed,I have heard this on Night duty!On G Block there was supposed to be a Grey Nursing Sister that could be seen but only half of her visible as the floor level had been changed,G block was at one point Nurses Accom.On E block there is a lift,an old fashioned one that will only work if all the gates are closed.At night it was always sent to the ground floor and the gates opened in case we had an Emergency Admission.Come the morning the Lift would be at the top floor,despite the gates being open still!During the Peninsular War General Moores army was struck with Cholera and several hundered of them foundd themselfs in HAslar.Most of them died and they were buried in the Quadrangle as it was the only space left,when the Crosslink was developed in the 80's loads of Skeletons were unearthed and reports of noises,visions and other supernatural things abounded,these continued untill a couple of Sky pilots did their stuff over the unearthed graves,all returned to normal.There was also a tale of a Supernatural Nursing officer signing a Controlled Drugs book with an LMA whilste in Night Duty.Said LMA was supposed to have been up before the Joss for Misuse of Controlled Drugs and forging the superior Officers signature.It was later found that said Nursing officer had died many years ago and the signature was 100% genuine.I have no corroboration of the last it may just be an Urban Myth.Maybe Greybags or some of the other Ex MA's can confirm or deny?

Dog, yeah mate, I think the big hairy bugger was following me from draft to draft, he never backed off untill I got married. He nearly had me putting my hooks on with velcro at one point. She scared him off though, good girl!

And cheers Andy, I was talking to my old man tonight, and he reads these pages even though he isn't registered. He remembers from his time in Dolphin 40 odd years ago it had a few dodgy places, and mentioned that Haslar was reputed to be really haunted as well. Makes you wonder.

Any more for any more?

D

Deleted 7

Not many at all, regarding ships/bases but tonnes of stories. If some of you don't know already, I used to attend paranormal investigations when I was in the UK. Have tonnes of stuff................who wants to hear???

Ayton_Muppet

Midshipman
When I was on the Stubbington in 84 rumour had it that she was haunted by the ghost of a woman called Rita. Allegedly Rita had jumped off the Forth bridge and the Stubby had picked up her body. I was a bit sceptical about these rumours until one middle watch when I was peeling spuds in the galley.
About 2am I heard the sound of high heel shoes walking across the deck above. I then heard the sound of the wardroom flat screen door open and close. Armed with my spud peeling knife I cautiously poked my head out of the galley. There was nobody there but it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and I always dreaded the middle after that.

Latest Threads