Hats on ears!!

kenkim

Badgeman
My two sons are both in the Navy, following in my footsteps. Anyway I've always hated the new uniform since it was changed to a fancy dress outfit in the late 70's. When my sons joined I explained that the hat should be worn so the back of it sits above the round of the back of the head and I couldn't understand why all todays sailors were wearing them what appeared to be, 2 sizes too big. Anyway my oldest son took my advice and does wear his correctly and he looks very smart, in fact he was lucky enough to attend his younger brother passing out ceremony a few years back and was about the only one there who actually looked like a sailor should. Moving on.... his younger brother has a long parade coming up so I told him to make sure he got a smaller hat which he did but then he explained that it was uncomfortable on his head. I've seen their hats and I know exactly what he means and I still have my old hat to compare. They are made of some hard plastic and have no give whatsoever so this explains why todays Matelot looks so ridiculous. They have to wear them like this because of how they are made. One must assume these hats have been designed by the same numpty who designed todays square rig. Please someone sort this, I actually cringe every time a see a sailor in square rig. Such a shame, when you think the Royal Navy square rig was the envy of all militaries across the globe and women would swoon over it.

Seadog

War Hero
My two sons are both in the Navy, following in my footsteps. Anyway I've always hated the new uniform since it was changed to a fancy dress outfit in the late 70's. When my sons joined I explained that the hat should be worn so the back of it sits above the round of the back of the head and I couldn't understand why all todays sailors were wearing them what appeared to be, 2 sizes too big. Anyway my oldest son took my advice and does wear his correctly and he looks very smart, in fact he was lucky enough to attend his younger brother passing out ceremony a few years back and was about the only one there who actually looked like a sailor should. Moving on.... his younger brother has a long parade coming up so I told him to make sure he got a smaller hat which he did but then he explained that it was uncomfortable on his head. I've seen their hats and I know exactly what he means and I still have my old hat to compare. They are made of some hard plastic and have no give whatsoever so this explains why todays Matelot looks so ridiculous. They have to wear them like this because of how they are made. One must assume these hats have been designed by the same numpty who designed todays square rig. Please someone sort this, I actually cringe every time a see a sailor in square rig. Such a shame, when you think the Royal Navy square rig was the envy of all militaries across the globe and women would swoon over it.
Some things don't change. Paragraphs are still for grammar Nazis and Staff Officers only.