Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haslar is the second cleanest hospital

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Pompey News said:
A hospital which is set to close has been named the second cleanest in the country.

Royal Hospital Haslar beat hundreds of other hospitals in the prestigious Golden Service Awards.

But it is due to shut in 2009, forcing patients to use Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, which has struggled with MRSA infections. Campaigners say health bosses should now reconsider the future of Haslar hospital...
(Full story)
 
That is very reassuring, I am going to see the Ortho team on Friday to see if they want to take the screws and/or plate out of my leg.

The only trouble is that it is the back of beyond traffic wise. But from what I have heard I would rather have the extra travel than use QA which is 5 mins down the road from me.
 
rosinacarley said:
That is very reassuring, I am going to see the Ortho team on Friday to see if they want to take the screws and/or plate out of my leg.

The only trouble is that it is the back of beyond traffic wise. But from what I have heard I would rather have the extra travel than use QA which is 5 mins down the road from me.

Good Luck, hope it's not as painful as it sounds! x
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
It should come as no surprise that a Naval hospital is clean. I remember being turned in in Cochrane, and being ordered from my bed to clean up before the NO did her set of ward rounds!
 
Been in the military ward at Sellyoak a few times and i have to say that it cleaner than any other ward i have ever been in. I think the patients have to do the cleaning which also helps in their rehab.
 

Oil_Slick

War Hero
I've had a number of major stays in Haslar to have assorted bits repaired/replaced/sewn back up… no infections.

Wife went into QA as a day case and spent 11 weeks in intensive care and a further year recovering from an MRSA infection that nearly killed her.
 

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
rosinacarley said:
......The only trouble is that it is the back of beyond traffic wise......

Not so bad getting in to Gosport but a bugger getting out morning or late afternoon. Console yourself that you'll be able to drive there, park your car free of charge, be watched in and out by a security gate patrolman and be treated in a clean, pleasant environment.

As to MRSA, an awful lot of people carry this bug around on their skin and in their mouth/nose, so there's no guarantee you won't have a problem, but it is much less likely if you take simple precautions, like being clean yourself and insisting that any staff members who need to touch you have either just washed their hands or used the alcohol gels available.

Most of the infection problems in hospital are there to stay, but Joe Public has to realise that he's part of the cross-infection problem and so needs to be clean as well!
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
come_the_day said:
Most of the infection problems in hospital are there to stay, but Joe Public has to realise that he's part of the cross-infection problem and so needs to be clean as well!

Are you trying to say strawberries are a bunch of dirty scumbags?
 

Karma

War Hero
come_the_day said:
.....but Joe Public has to realise that he's part of the cross-infection problem and so needs to be clean as well!

Indeed.

I was treated for an ortho condition, knee reconstruction, in Haslar a couple of years ago and have nothing but praise for the majority of staff in the place. Unfortunately it doesn't seem well designed for modern medicine.

What I did find quite offputting was the number of people in waiting rooms etc who didn't meet the personal standards I've come to expect in the service on a day to day basis, never mind in a hospital where exposure in both directions has to be higher. Simple things like hand-washing in the heads and the like.

A bit of an eye opener and I realised then just how insulated we can be in the service at times.

edited stupid typo
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Karma said:
...I was treated for an ortho condition, knee reconstruction, in Haslar a couple of years ago and have nothing but raise for the majority of staff in the place...

Hmm, good job you weren't going in for a vasectomy... :oops:
 

Karma

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
Karma said:
...I was treated for an ortho condition, knee reconstruction, in Haslar a couple of years ago and have nothing but raise for the majority of staff in the place...

Hmm, good job you weren't going in for a vasectomy... :oops:

Might help, gets things out of the way of the business end of the op.

As I recall from the flat-tops the surgeons on there did a roaring trade in snips whilst deployed.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Karma said:
sgtpepperband said:
Karma said:
...I was treated for an ortho condition, knee reconstruction, in Haslar a couple of years ago and have nothing but raise for the majority of staff in the place...

Hmm, good job you weren't going in for a vasectomy... :oops:

Might help, gets things out of the way of the business end of the op.

As I recall from the flat-tops the surgeons on there did a roaring trade in snips whilst deployed.

No need to go to that extreme. ***********, no babies... :twisted:
 

Daktari

Banned
Karma said:
come_the_day said:
.....but Joe Public has to realise that he's part of the cross-infection problem and so needs to be clean as well!

What I did find quite offputting was the number of people in waiting rooms etc who didn't meet the personal standards I've come to expect in the service on a day to day basis, never mind in a hospital where exposure in both directions has to be higher. Simple things like hand-washing in the heads and the like.

A bit of an eye opener and I realised then just how insulated we can be in the service at times.

There was a TV documentary on a few years ago where they took a bowl of peanuts off a bar and tested it. There were 9 different urine samples isolated! So yes I agree that the personal hygine of the great unwashed does leave a lot to be desired but not just in hospitals.

MRSA or Methacillin Resistant Staph Aureous really means a Staph Aureous bug - which everyone carries in their nose, on their skin etc has become resistent to Penicillin - partly caused by over prescription and partly by the publics desire for instant cures e.g. the expectation of the public is that they go to the GP with a cold etc (which is a virus and isn't susceptable to antibiotics) and the GP gives them anti b's just in case it becomes a chest infection etc - not because they need them. Compounded by the fact that some people take antibiotics until they feel better and not finish the course which only goes to give the bug a resistance to that particular type of antibiotic. The problem is with Staph A is while it is on the skin it's no problem - it's when it gets into a wound it becomes difficult to get rid of and of course while it is present the wound wont heal properly.

The other bug that is on the increase at the moment is C Diff or Clostridium Difficile .. this is a normal gut bug and passed on by not washing hands! Again - in the gut it's normal except when it increases for what ever reason when the body then tries to get rid of the excess with a dose of the squits! .. The problem with C Diff is when it's attacked by Anti Biotics it produces spores which are immune to normal disinfectants and they can last up to two years in open air or dirt. So when the Anti B's have killed the C Diff it then hatches the spores and away you go again. This means that the body is constantly trying to get rid of the excess C diff by giving you the squits which leads onto dehydration and death!

So if anyones going into hospital get anyone coming near you to wash their hads properly before touching you!
 
I am pleased to report sterling service from Haslar this morning. Appointment 0930, arrived 0915 (leaving plenty of time for the notorious Gosport traffic), seen at 0925.

My only complaint is that my doc did not look like George Clooney!
 
Daktari said:
Karma said:
come_the_day said:
.....but Joe Public has to realise that he's part of the cross-infection problem and so needs to be clean as well!

What I did find quite offputting was the number of people in waiting rooms etc who didn't meet the personal standards I've come to expect in the service on a day to day basis, never mind in a hospital where exposure in both directions has to be higher. Simple things like hand-washing in the heads and the like.

A bit of an eye opener and I realised then just how insulated we can be in the service at times.

There was a TV documentary on a few years ago where they took a bowl of peanuts off a bar and tested it. There were 9 different urine samples isolated! So yes I agree that the personal hygine of the great unwashed does leave a lot to be desired but not just in hospitals.

MRSA or Methacillin Resistant Staph Aureous really means a Staph Aureous bug - which everyone carries in their nose, on their skin etc has become resistent to Penicillin - partly caused by over prescription and partly by the publics desire for instant cures e.g. the expectation of the public is that they go to the GP with a cold etc (which is a virus and isn't susceptable to antibiotics) and the GP gives them anti b's just in case it becomes a chest infection etc - not because they need them. Compounded by the fact that some people take antibiotics until they feel better and not finish the course which only goes to give the bug a resistance to that particular type of antibiotic. The problem is with Staph A is while it is on the skin it's no problem - it's when it gets into a wound it becomes difficult to get rid of and of course while it is present the wound wont heal properly.

The other bug that is on the increase at the moment is C Diff or Clostridium Difficile .. this is a normal gut bug and passed on by not washing hands! Again - in the gut it's normal except when it increases for what ever reason when the body then tries to get rid of the excess with a dose of the squits! .. The problem with C Diff is when it's attacked by Anti Biotics it produces spores which are immune to normal disinfectants and they can last up to two years in open air or dirt. So when the Anti B's have killed the C Diff it then hatches the spores and away you go again. This means that the body is constantly trying to get rid of the excess C diff by giving you the squits which leads onto dehydration and death!

/quote]So if anyones going into hospital get anyone coming near you to wash their hads properly before touching you![

Well said oppo! I hope people take note!
 
rosinacarley said:
That is very reassuring, I am going to see the Ortho team on Friday to see if they want to take the screws and/or plate out of my leg.

The only trouble is that it is the back of beyond traffic wise. But from what I have heard I would rather have the extra travel than use QA which is 5 mins down the road from me.

I got some screws loose.... do you think they could help me too? ;) :lol:
 

willsonline

Lantern Swinger
The more stories that come out like this the more weight it gives towards keeping Haslar, perhaps as a NHS run site with a small military rehab section. There is no hope of RHH going back to the old days of a fully-blown military hopsital.

I really do hope the local PCT actually take their heads out of their arses and do the right thing here.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SONAR-BENDER Proposed RNH Haslar regeneration - if anybody cares! History 0
soleil BBC Radio 4 - Open Country - Royal Haslar Hospital Bases / Shore Est 0
D RNH Haslar Reunion 2013 Social & Reunions 7
andym RNH Haslar become an Airsoft site. Current Affairs 42
jambosun RNH Haslar Medical Museum History 5
Seaweed Time Team excavation of Haslar (?Clayhall) cemetery History 1
soleil Pompey News: "Questions asked over the sale of Haslar site" Bases / Shore Est 3
Seaweed History of Haslar History 0
soleil Pompey News: "Haslar prepares to close its doors" Bases / Shore Est 11
R Christmas Day In Haslar Submariners 2
R Haslar closing ??? Health & Fitness 0
andym RNH Haslar Heritage Group Bases / Shore Est 0
AuldYin Save Haslar petition; Government response Petitions 5
A Selly Oak & RNH Haslar Current Affairs 16
A Haslar - new Early Day Motion (EDM 1048) Current Affairs 0
AuldYin Petition No 10 to save Haslar Current Affairs 0
H Save Haslar Hospital Sign the Petition Current Affairs 2
andym RNH Haslar (And the other one) Bases / Shore Est 15
MoD_RSS Second British-Turkmen webinar on COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister opening statement - second reading of the UKIM bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Youth Mobility Scheme 2020 for Japanese nationals: second ballot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Youth Mobility Scheme 2020 for Hong Kong SAR passport holders: second ballot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Youth Mobility Scheme 2020 for Taiwanese youth: second ballot MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary appointment of Second Permanent Secretary at the Department for Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second team of UK medics sent to support hospitals in blast-hit Beirut MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence: Second Annual Inspection of ‘Adults at Risk’ in immigration detention MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Million of self employed to benefit from second stage of support scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Indonesia Joint Trade Review: second round of discussions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Croydon’s second government hub granted planning permission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCA welcomes findings of second statutory review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New HMRC Deputy CEO and Second Permanent Secretary appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Domestic Abuse Bill 2020: letter from Minister Chalk to Jess Phillips MP on the second tranche of amendments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Covid-19: CMA secures refunds from second major holiday lets firm MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches second phase of independent review into drug misuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Work to start on second phase of £40m flood scheme in Bury. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second meeting of the Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second consultation begins on Keighley waste incinerator permit application MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Written Ministerial Statement: Second meeting of the Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second Reading of the Trade Bill 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second construction site set to return to work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Testing capacity increases as second Lighthouse Lab becomes fully operational MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10m to boost tree planting in second auction of Woodland Carbon Guarantee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK leads global fight to prevent second wave of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS LLWR makes second donation of personal protective equipment to fight COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second-hand car dealers banned for 14 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second round of Urban Tree Challenge Fund opens today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC late payment interest rates to be revised after Bank of England cuts base rate following second emergency meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second generation UK search and rescue aviation programme (UKSAR2G) MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top