Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

has the welfare state wrecked Britain?

wompingwillow said:
Do you also receive housing benefit and do you pay council tax? Please add up the value of all your benefits not just quote one of them

The benefits I quoted are the benefits that I see, e.g the money I get in my pocket each week, as in a wage, just like someone would quote the figure they see after tax, NI and students loans have gone out.

I actually get about £120 a week income support, however before the money is paid to me, my water rates, furniture grant and NI ( voluntary contributions) come out. My HB and CTB never pass through my hands so therefore even if I wanted to I don't get to spend them.

Housing benefit and council tax benefit are each worth a certain amount of money even if you never see them. As for furniture grant coming out and NI contributions the furniture grant was a loan which you are in the process of repaying while NI contributions are made for all claiments (my NI contributions will be made for me until I reach 65 this is the only benefit that I am entitled to though I have paid into the system for over 45 years). to get a true figure of what your total benefits amount to you must add to the £120 the rent which would normally be paid by a wage earner living in a similar property and the council tax that would be paid by a wage earner. Benefits are not purely what you get in your hand

slim said:
wompingwillow said:
Do you also receive housing benefit and do you pay council tax? Please add up the value of all your benefits not just quote one of them

The benefits I quoted are the benefits that I see, e.g the money I get in my pocket each week, as in a wage, just like someone would quote the figure they see after tax, NI and students loans have gone out.

I actually get about £120 a week income support, however before the money is paid to me, my water rates, furniture grant and NI ( voluntary contributions) come out. My HB and CTB never pass through my hands so therefore even if I wanted to I don't get to spend them.

while NI contributions are made for all claiments (my NI contributions will be made for me until I reach 65 this is the only benefit that I am entitled to though I have paid into the system for over 45 years).

For old age pension purposes -100% entitlement -if you have paid the NI stamp for 44 years then you don't need to pay anymore .
Also at 65 you don't pay NI contributions.

Greenie said:
slim said:
wompingwillow said:

while NI contributions are made for all claiments (my NI contributions will be made for me until I reach 65 this is the only benefit that I am entitled to though I have paid into the system for over 45 years).

For old age pension purposes -100% entitlement -if you have paid the NI stamp for 44 years then you don't need to pay anymore .
Also at 65 you don't pay NI contributions.

I am 61 and have paid NI contributions for 44 years. I no longer sign on as when over the age of 60 NI contributions are paid on your behalf. Therefore I am receiving benefits. At age of 65 Iwill receive my government pension. This is also classed as a benifit, I don't understand why as I have been paying for it most of my life.

Latest Threads