Has no one ever written a book/run private training courses on BRNC/Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jaggers, Sep 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Because I can't think of anyone who wouldn't have bought a copy or attended, especially for BRNC?

2. Jaggers, Can you explain what you have in mind in greater detail, please?

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There is already enough spoonfeeding for recruits (and not just on RR), but there is plenty of relevant information available from AFCOs and some of the sticky threads on here. Those that are truly committed and are prepared to do their research can find all the information they need for free, without someone trying to make a fast buck in the process. Additionally, how would it benefit the Service selection process if every candidate knew all the answers already? The 'Journey of Life' is a personal one; having the route plan removes that spirit of adventure that the RN is looking for in its potential officers. Any time I hear about a course/book that contains information that is freely available elsewhere, I tend to lose trust in the author and question their true motivation for offering this "service". :oops:

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The How2Become chap, Richard McMunn, (ex-Fireman) has cornered the market on pre-AIB courses, "How2" become a Naval Officer, Join the SAS, Police, Aircrew, Royal Navy, Army, Royal Marines Commandos, Combat wing of British Airways etc., etc. and seems quite popular for those seeking common-sense generic careers advice, willing to pay for it.

The advice is freely available from official sources, but there will always be those who think "Ah yes that's what they want you to think, but what is it REALLY like?" and for as long as those people have the money and the inclination it'll be a commercial success.

Many people report the advice is good, which it often is, because it has been unashamedly copied, word for word, from official sources and packaged for retail.

An example: Become A Royal Marines Officer | The Marines Selection Process 2012 Yours for 57 quid or free, whichever suits.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If someone can write a book on how to grow old gracefully and without malice once one has peaked grandslaming and now thinks finger poking the eyes out of lesser military gods is fun can they please include me on the mailing list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgtpepperband

Now that's an Andy McNab/Chris Ryan book I would read... :shock: :wink:

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In addition to the above, there's no shortage of college courses (public or uniformed services) available, together with civilian residential "boot camps", military fitness training sessions, Uniformed Youth Organisations and cadet camps, "Look at Life" military run acquaint courses, links below:

UK's biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes | British Military Fitness
    BTECs in Public Services and Uniformed Services | Subjects : Edexcel
    No1 Boot Camp | Classic Weight Loss Camp | Weight Loss Retreat | Weight-Loss Holidays UK

8. Who on earth would want to go on a weight-loss holiday? Holidays are for over-eating, over-drinking and over-relaxing. Weight-loss regimes are for post holiday guilt trips and may it remain ever thus.

9. sgtpepperband

Realistic preparation for naval catering, perhaps..? :shock: