Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has everyone got a disability or learning difficulty?

RonJeremy said:
alacrity174 said:
Greenie said:
Seadog said:
There was a time when being a senior rate, especially a Chief meant being awesome. Chief's had proper beards, not some manicured Beadlesque decoration or bum fluff. Chiefs were often ex field gunners with arms like lengths of 4x4 and hands like shovels. They were confident and capable; there being no substitute for professional competence. They could drink a bucket and you wouldn't know it (stand fast the odd c0ck who let the side down and even died or didn't turn to at real emergency stations). Chiefs were nails, straight out of a Tugg cartoon. They kept a distance from JRs and officers alike and God help anyone who called a Chief by his first name. They didn't have to be bezzers with sprogs to be approachable, respected and even liked. Junior Officers and Junior Rates alike looked up to them, Commanders and Captains took them into their confidence.

Was a Chief for a long time and that just about sums us up---
Had a lot of respect from my lads and from my bosses----
Somebody had to look after them :lol: :lol:
G

Greenie

That is exactly the Chief I wanted as Head of Section, I never called the Chief Elec anything but Chief, I think some of the problems that the RN has is a general lack of real respect for authority that has been earned A B13 Chief you knew had done his time and if he told you to do something he bloody well meant it.

Not that there is anything wrong with a killick and a PO calling each other by name, but an OD shuld never speak to a SR like they are best buddies, it wasn't done and in my small part of the universe still shouldn't.

I get my wife to call me Chief too seeing as she's a damned filthy JR and not fit to lick the boots of a real Senior Rate. All my kids know that if they don't call me Chief then they'll get a kit muster too. I once trooped my own grandmother for having filthy bats and being in need of a haircut too! That's why the RN is a load of old wank these days...because people don't call Chiefs Chief! We've now finally established the underlying problems with the youth/recruits/young matelots/the 'Andrew' (oh fukking purleeeeeze!) of today. From now on you will all refer to me as Chief! I am a Chief and therefore deserve to be called Chief.....I may make exceptions and allow you all to call me Chops if we're ashore or at a social occasion such as a wedding/funeral/bar mitzvah or a state funeral. Other than that......I AM A CHIEF, SO CALL ME CHIEF!!

Well you may jest
My chief in 70 was called chief by ALL in his home,including the wife,He had a Duty watch roster for his kids, for washing up, cleaning house and garden duties
They had to request fourteen days in advance, if a weekend to the beach was available
We lived In Gib at the time

I do know that in todays RN sprogs call their chief Jacko, or wings and they all fall about in the same disco

In my old days an AB was God to a JR and so it progressed up the way, and the ONLY time a rating spoke to an officer was in the call of duty, and my God you had to get it right

I once made the mistake of saying YES to an ORDER
As you well know the answer must be AYE AYE SIR!

How can chief take Johnny his winger JRO shore oppo pissed together on Friday night to the Caps table on Monday

JR Brid One pace forward Skid OFF LID

Well Skips it was like Chiefy Jacko and uz were tryin to get orf wiv the same bird, winger an we wuz picked up by the Reggie Chris over there, I tried to duff the basterd etc

When you pick up your next rate you have to distance yourself from all below you, purely for disipline reasons

Jack McH

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
RonJeremy said:
alacrity174 said:
Greenie said:
Seadog said:
There was a time when being a senior rate, especially a Chief meant being awesome. Chief's had proper beards, not some manicured Beadlesque decoration or bum fluff. Chiefs were often ex field gunners with arms like lengths of 4x4 and hands like shovels. They were confident and capable; there being no substitute for professional competence. They could drink a bucket and you wouldn't know it (stand fast the odd c0ck who let the side down and even died or didn't turn to at real emergency stations). Chiefs were nails, straight out of a Tugg cartoon. They kept a distance from JRs and officers alike and God help anyone who called a Chief by his first name. They didn't have to be bezzers with sprogs to be approachable, respected and even liked. Junior Officers and Junior Rates alike looked up to them, Commanders and Captains took them into their confidence.

Was a Chief for a long time and that just about sums us up---
Had a lot of respect from my lads and from my bosses----
Somebody had to look after them :lol: :lol:
G

Greenie

That is exactly the Chief I wanted as Head of Section, I never called the Chief Elec anything but Chief, I think some of the problems that the RN has is a general lack of real respect for authority that has been earned A B13 Chief you knew had done his time and if he told you to do something he bloody well meant it.

Not that there is anything wrong with a killick and a PO calling each other by name, but an OD shuld never speak to a SR like they are best buddies, it wasn't done and in my small part of the universe still shouldn't.

I get my wife to call me Chief too seeing as she's a damned filthy JR and not fit to lick the boots of a real Senior Rate. All my kids know that if they don't call me Chief then they'll get a kit muster too. I once trooped my own grandmother for having filthy bats and being in need of a haircut too! That's why the RN is a load of old wank these days...because people don't call Chiefs Chief! We've now finally established the underlying problems with the youth/recruits/young matelots/the 'Andrew' (oh fukking purleeeeeze!) of today. From now on you will all refer to me as Chief! I am a Chief and therefore deserve to be called Chief.....I may make exceptions and allow you all to call me Chops if we're ashore or at a social occasion such as a wedding/funeral/bar mitzvah or a state funeral. Other than that......I AM A CHIEF, SO CALL ME CHIEF!!

Well you may jest
My chief in 70 was called chief by ALL in his home,including the wife,He had a Duty watch roster for his kids, for washing up, cleaning house and garden duties
They had to request fourteen days in advance, if a weekend to the beach was available
We lived In Gib at the time

I do know that in todays RN sprogs call their chief Jacko, or wings and they all fall about in the same disco

In my old days an AB was God to a JR and so it progressed up the way, and the ONLY time a rating spoke to an officer was in the call of duty, and my God you had to get it right

I once made the mistake of saying YES to an ORDER
As you well know the answer must be AYE AYE SIR!

How can chief take Johnny his winger JRO shore oppo pissed together on Friday night to the Caps table on Monday

JR Brid One pace forward Skid OFF LID

Well Skips it was like Chiefy Jacko and uz were tryin to get orf wiv the same bird, winger an we wuz picked up by the Reggie Chris over there, I tried to duff the basterd etc

When you pick up your next rate you have to distance yourself from all below you, purely for disipline reasons

Jack McH

Have to disagree, that system would never work on boats

Wrecker I was in boats --quite a long time

There was still the Senior Rates mess's and the Junior Rates

My lads called me Chief most times and I always called them by
their christian names --or nickname.

As has been mentioned you can't totally integrate because you cannot
have favourites --everyone gets treated the same at all times.

G

Greenie said:
Wrecker I was in boats --quite a long time

There was still the Senior Rates mess's and the Junior Rates

My lads called me Chief most times and I always called them by
their christian names --or nickname.

As has been mentioned you can't totally integrate because you cannot
have favourites --everyone gets treated the same at all times.

Thats about the right way to do things Greenie,I was only a lowley PO :wink: and i would have never tolerated the Junior rates calling me by my first name or even my nick name,i was Po not Pogi but just Po,some of my ex collegues were so persitant in being called Pogi,that was fine on the parade ground but otherwise it didnt upset me at all if they used Po instead of Pogi,i also called every JR by his/her christian or nick name,and yes i have been called a few things behind my back which if not heard properly was just forgotten by my good self, :D

BillyNoMates

War Hero
If I get called up again if there's another war and they send me back to boats - is there room in bomb-shop to stow my mobility scooter then? I'd never get to the mess from my (Part III) bunk for scran without it. Kindest Regards, BillyTheCripple

trelawney126

War Hero
:wave:Fraid not Billy. Surface Ships for you, then you can park your motability scooter in the torpedo handling room and doss down beside it. Always ready for duty

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
If I get called up again if there's another war and they send me back to boats - is there room in bomb-shop to stow my mobility scooter then? I'd never get to the mess from my (Part III) bunk for scran without it. Kindest Regards, BillyTheCripple

Unfortunately its not affected your typing fingers yet, but we all live in fucking hope!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Worcester rapist has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Paul Roberts as a Member of Arts Council England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plugging a leak has put Sellafield on a path to a safer future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Annie Hampson, Jane Spiers, and Katie Town as Trustees of the Theatres Trust. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Dame Judith Macgregor as Trustee of the British Tourist Authority. MoD News 0
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
MoD_RSS New data shows proportion of steel procured within UK has doubled since last year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed James Chapman, Ian Rosenblatt, Virginia Tandy and Heather Lauder as Trustees of National Museums Liverpool. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Lawrence Conway as Welsh Member of UK Sport. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Nicholas Griffin and Claire-Marie Roberts as Board Members of UK Anti-Doping. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has reappointed Dame Minouche Shafik and Muriel Gray as Trustees of the British Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Rimla Akhtar and Janet Johnson as Board Members of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Mukesh Sharma as Northern Ireland Trustee of the National Heritage Memorial Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS COVID-19 app has been downloaded over 10 million times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): What has changed – 22 September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Yemen has “never looked more likely to slide into famine”, Foreign Secretary warns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Official figures show that the furlough scheme has worked: saving jobs and helping more than half of employees back to work already MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): What has changed – 9 September MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Essex woman has her sentence increased for dangerous driving conviction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London stalker has his sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government has changed the law so most renters have a 6 month notice period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The AAIB has sent a team to Cheltenham MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Former football boss has bankruptcy restrictions extended MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Jeweller has ban extended after breaching court orders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Professor Roger Bland, OBE, and Dr Megan Gooch as Chair and Trustee of the Treasure Valuation Committee. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has reappointed Jim Dixon and Perdita Hunt as Trustees of the National Heritage Memorial Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Mel Young as the Scotland Member of UK Sport. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Loyd Grossman as Chair of The Royal Parks. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed George Lucas as the Northern Ireland Member of UK Sport. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Robert Noel and Professor Dame Janet Thornton as Trustees of the Natural History Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has approved the appointment of Venki Ramakrishnan as a Board Member of the British Library. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Stephen Cohen as Commissioner of the Gambling Commission. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed John Mothersole as the England Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Kate Still as the Scotland Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Has coronavirus killed globalisation: speech by Laura Clarke MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The AAIB has sent a team to Warwickshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man who attacked cousin at Woking wedding has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed three Trustees to the Horniman Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed five new Trustees to the National Museums Liverpool. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Sue Wilkinson OBE as a Trustee of Historic Royal Palaces. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Harris Bokhari and Yadvinder Malhi as Trustees of the Natural History Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Mark Cecil and The Rt Hon Chris Grayling as Trustees of the National Portrait Gallery. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Chris Pilling and Ismail Amla as Board Members of UK Sport. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Nick de Bois as Chair of the Visit England Advisory Board. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Rt Hon Sir Patrick McLoughlin CH as Chair of the British Tourist Authority. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The UK has announced its new tariff regime the-UK Global Tariff (UKGT)- on 19 May 2020. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London rapist has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Manchester woman who glassed another woman has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed four new Commissioners to the Gambling Commission. MoD News 1
J Prnc Mod Caldonia 11th May Has been cancelled Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4