Has anyone ever recieved a commendation?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by als123, May 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was woundering ifanyone has recieved a commendation in the past and what happen if you get one?

thanks

2. ^^ Not ever had one from the Wife..... period

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In my experience *cough, cough*....There are various reward schemes such as the Herbert Lott (cash awards), you may also get a senior officers commendation (usually a bit of parchment with an exaltation of what a "good egg" you are) and you could get a "mention in dispatches" for a deed of daring-do of such impressive magnitude that it falls short of a medal nomination.

BEMs (of old) used to be awarded in recognition of your sterling efforts & more recently for ratings/other ranks perhaps even the MBE.

Then there are the civil ones (Chief constable's commendation) for single-handedly wrestling an armed robber, saving a drowning baby & her disabled grandmother simultaneously, or one from the Royal Humane Society for saving a drowning baby & her grandmother from a vat of burning oil.

Which one were you planning on?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I`ve received a condemnation if thats any help.

5. Yup, I have, Herbie Lott and a couple of FAA ones!!!!

6. I got a round of applause in Bugis Street once for my rendition of 'The death of Nelson'

7. Got told I made a good wet of tea when I was Bosuns Mate on the main gate at Daedalus 1967

8. Which one was i planning on... erm CINCFLEET. Would i go to a presentation or anything?

9. I learnt early on to make a bad one, that way I wasn't asked a second time.

10. Kept me in out of the rain (always pissed down when I was on watch)

11. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Yes. I invented something back in the eighties (which is fitted to all HM ships these days - and oft misquoted in it's origin) and recieved a Herbert Lott donation and award from MoD Public funds. I also recieved COMMUKTGs commendation for services to the ship whilst deployed and two consecutive nominations for a Worshipful Company 'Man of the Year' award.

No ******* MSM, though. Thanks, lazy-arsed Divisional Officers.

levers

12. Do tell Levers????

13. Wasn't an iPod jack by any chance?
    I'll get me Burberry.

14. I was given 'leave in Jeopardy' once...never found the place

15. Got a Herbert lott for highest mark in my POAEM's PQE 1992 (£40)

Got a Commadore's commendation for services to OP Bolton 200? (£40 and a letter) (sat in the squadron reg office stitching people up to go)

16. Ninja_Stoker

Quite possibly. You may get an invite for tea & bickies with CINCFLEET at his gaffe (with a random Killick Phot hovering for a centre-spread scoop in the Dockyard Dandy).

Best get that suit to the dry-cleaners and don't forget - take your own HobNobs, if you don't like Rich Tea.

17. Ninja_Stoker

:D Reminds me of mate (POWEA) that invented an uber-secret submarine software programme for measuring the thickness of ice from underneath the icecap. He was awarded a flight on Concorde to New York & won a couple of defence industry innovation awards. It was appently used on all boats, was flogged by the MoD to the USN, etc., etc.

Didn't get 2OE though.

18. Wasn't 'Thingy' by any chance?

19. Well said stokes, it rather does well sum it up.
    best old cmum

20. Matees I always thought that I was bombed out to buggery.
    However I now know that it is quite normal for an ex R.N. chap.
    To be this way, How good is that?
    The ladies love it
    So do I