Has anyone ever recieved a commendation?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In my experience *cough, cough*....There are various reward schemes such as the Herbert Lott (cash awards), you may also get a senior officers commendation (usually a bit of parchment with an exaltation of what a "good egg" you are) and you could get a "mention in dispatches" for a deed of daring-do of such impressive magnitude that it falls short of a medal nomination.

BEMs (of old) used to be awarded in recognition of your sterling efforts & more recently for ratings/other ranks perhaps even the MBE.

Then there are the civil ones (Chief constable's commendation) for single-handedly wrestling an armed robber, saving a drowning baby & her disabled grandmother simultaneously, or one from the Royal Humane Society for saving a drowning baby & her grandmother from a vat of burning oil.

Which one were you planning on?

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Yes. I invented something back in the eighties (which is fitted to all HM ships these days - and oft misquoted in it's origin) and recieved a Herbert Lott donation and award from MoD Public funds. I also recieved COMMUKTGs commendation for services to the ship whilst deployed and two consecutive nominations for a Worshipful Company 'Man of the Year' award.

No ******* MSM, though. Thanks, lazy-arsed Divisional Officers.

levers

Yes. I invented something back in the eighties (which is fitted to all HM ships these days - and oft misquoted in it's origin) and recieved a Herbert Lott donation and award from MoD Public funds. I also recieved COMMUKTGs commendation for services to the ship whilst deployed and two consecutive nominations for a Worshipful Company 'Man of the Year' award.

levers
Do tell Levers????

Got a Herbert lott for highest mark in my POAEM's PQE 1992 (£40)

Got a Commadore's commendation for services to OP Bolton 200? (£40 and a letter) (sat in the squadron reg office stitching people up to go)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Which one was i planning on... erm CINCFLEET. Would i go to a presentation or anything?
Quite possibly. You may get an invite for tea & bickies with CINCFLEET at his gaffe (with a random Killick Phot hovering for a centre-spread scoop in the Dockyard Dandy).

Best get that suit to the dry-cleaners and don't forget - take your own HobNobs, if you don't like Rich Tea.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

levers
:D Reminds me of mate (POWEA) that invented an uber-secret submarine software programme for measuring the thickness of ice from underneath the icecap. He was awarded a flight on Concorde to New York & won a couple of defence industry innovation awards. It was appently used on all boats, was flogged by the MoD to the USN, etc., etc.

Didn't get 2OE though.

Matees I always thought that I was bombed out to buggery.
However I now know that it is quite normal for an ex R.N. chap.
To be this way, How good is that?
The ladies love it
So do I