has anybody had to lose weight?

Lost 160 lbs ? Good going : know what you mean about not wanting to get off the chair, I hit the gym at 28, took me three months to start to want to go, but now can't do without a cardio fix for more than two days....best way it is, to go slowly.
So,Omelette- we await your updates with baited breath....let us know how you're getting on.....you never know, you might get a shot on 'Trinny and Suzanna'....new bod, new wardrobe... :) All the best.

DancesWithJPA

Lantern Swinger
gbanger said:
I have my AIB in 6 weeks and have been told nothing about weight loss and being a 100kg 5'9" male I am now worried.

Help!!!!!

I only have this chance as I am old!!!!

HELP!!!!!
You can still pass your AIB whatever your weight. You won't get selected for Dartmouth until you are confirmed at your target weight. So don't panic, just keep getting fitter.

DancesWithJPA said:
You can still pass your AIB whatever your weight. You won't get selected for Dartmouth until you are confirmed at your target weight. So don't panic, just keep getting fitter.
Am 26 in March so need to be at entry level when I pass AIB with top scores so I can hopefully get a start date of feb otherwise the last 11 months have been a waste. Its a long shot but Ive got to try.

Backpacker1uk said:
Why state you are 87kg then state you have lost a stone.

I am still on stones and lbs it is all very confusing :whew:
14lbs to a stone

It's 6.5 kilos to a stone

so around 2lbs to 1kilo, I think. I am still getting use to it, you mention stone in the hospital here and they look at you blankly :rambo:

You are doing good with losing weight, however, some AFCO's were blind when letting in the odd stray one. I remember there being a lass about 6 weeks behind my basic intake, she was 5"8 and could easy being 15 stone! Wonder what her career's officer was thinking at the time :dwarf:

See if you can visit your doctor and be referred, you've only got just under a stone to lose and you'd be suprised how much of that is water retention. Swimming is a good exercise and will help you build all the right muscles for when you need them.

Let us know how you get on xx

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Jenny_Dabber said:
I remember there being a lass about 6 weeks behind my basic intake, she was 5"8 and could easy being 15 stone! Wonder what her career's officer was thinking at the time :dwarf:
Maybe she had a 'nice personality' Jenny? :thumright:

OK, just to clarify, issues involving weight are dealt with by the Medical Officer. A careers adviser may know a person is overweight, however it's the Medical Officer's perk to deliver the good news to the candidate as it's a health issue.

The thing that can happen, because of a long wait (no pun intented) to join, an individuals weight & fitness can fluctuate greatly, hence the introduction of the Pre Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) which has reduced the amount of unfit individuals being turned away on their first day at Raleigh.

seafruit said:
hi i was wondering if anyone was told to lose weight before reapplying?
i applied last year and weighed in at an impressively embarrasing 87kg thinking i was in good shape. im 5 ft 7" so i thought id get by. but the doc at the medical said that the required weight was 76kg and i should come back when id lost the weight.
Hi, I was recently told to lose weight by the doc at the medical, I am 6ft 0" and I weighed in at 96kg, I was told my ideal weight was 90kg. I take it that 76kg isn't a general rule and that ideal weight is different from one person to another?

Squire

SquireJPW said:
seafruit said:
hi i was wondering if anyone was told to lose weight before reapplying?
i applied last year and weighed in at an impressively embarrasing 87kg thinking i was in good shape. im 5 ft 7" so i thought id get by. but the doc at the medical said that the required weight was 76kg and i should come back when id lost the weight.
Hi, I was recently told to lose weight by the doc at the medical, I am 6ft 0" and I weighed in at 96kg, I was told my ideal weight was 90kg. I take it that 76kg isn't a general rule and that ideal weight is different from one person to another?

Squire
Hi Squire,

Welcome to RR and seeing as this is your first post I will be gentle :thanks:

Of course everyone's ideal weight is going to be different!!!! Think about it. If someone who is 5'7 has an ideal weight of 76kg, then how could some one with 5 extra inches of body on them have the same ideal weight???? I am 5'4 so imagine what I would look like at 76kg!

Google a BMI chart and that will give you a rough idea of where you should be.

Enjoy RR!
KF

GPZ_pilot said:
Im looking forwards to my AIB in 5 weeks, and when0 I applied, I weighed in at a staggering 106kg (17.8 st).

I was told that I needed to be down to 90kg for my AIB (about 14 st)

Its 5 weeks to go, and I've managed to get down to 94.5 (14.8) - I've lost 3 stone since I started, and my running has gone from not being able to run 500m to running 2 miles in 18 mins. (Its not quite the 11.13 for 1.5 miles, but its a hell of a lot closer than it was).

Its just a simple fomula - burn off more calories than you are putting in - its a garunteed weight loss programme.

Kim
Can I point out that 106kilos is 223lbs, which is actually 15.93 stone, so you're nearly 2 stone lighter than originally thought of.

GSSR_Vvd

Lantern Swinger
Just thought i'd add my tupence,

when i had my medical i was told that i needed to lose weight. I am 185cm and play rugby as a second row forward so needed a bit of weight behind me. I came in at just over 107kg which i thought was alright. Now i could have done with losing a bit of the round bit protecting my abdominals ^~
I was told that i was overweight and needed to lose 6kg to get to 101kg. I was told that i would be seen again in 3 months to see how i'd done.

Bring on the beasting :director: :strong:

4 weeks later after running 4/5 days per week and being reallly carefull with my diet i booked to see the doc again, to his amazement i had lost the weight!!!! Another bonus is that i am keeping it off and feel fitter than ever!!!! :boogie:

It can be done, just persaver with your training.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Well done GSSR, it can be done as you've proven.

I've actually known someone shed 5 stone (under medical supervision over 24 months) in order to be passed fit for entry into the Navy. What better way to demonstrate your motivation & determination to join the service?

GSSR_Vvd

Lantern Swinger
Well that i am, although i may say it is tempting to try something else within the RN as my waiting list is so long but i wont drip on about that. Again :blah5:

:naka: :thumright:

hey everyone

[first post on RR wooo] :D

im looking to do my AIB pretty soon, but could i fail the medical for being too light? im 167cm and 53kg which puts my BMI at 20 but...
i was turned down for the National Youth Sailing Squad for being too short and light so I'm pretty nervous about this too =(

what do you guys reckon?

england_expects said:
hey everyone

[first post on RR wooo] :D

im looking to do my AIB pretty soon, but could i fail the medical for being too light? im 167cm and 53kg which puts my BMI at 20 but...
i was turned down for the National Youth Sailing Squad for being too short and light so I'm pretty nervous about this too =(

what do you guys reckon?
The RN has a strange way of quickly sorting out people who are "too light".

If your health questionnaire has gone through and you've got an AIB date, then you're not too light.

yeah but its happened before; "yes your good but actually cos you're not really gonna grow we're not gonna take you - yes i know you told us your height and weight before and have been through the selection process, but we look for potential...." blah blah blah [im a little bitter about this]

are you sure?
[and no i dont have an eating disorder - im just small and do quite a bit of exercise]

england_expects said:
yeah but its happened before; "yes your good but actually cos you're not really gonna grow we're not gonna take you - yes i know you told us your height and weight before and have been through the selection process, but we look for potential...." blah blah blah [im a little bitter about this]

are you sure?
[and no i dont have an eating disorder - im just small and do quite a bit of exercise]
If you have submitted a health questionnaire, it will have been looked at by a member of medical staff, who decide if you're fit for AIB or not, or whether further information is required. Your BMI is looked at at this point. If you are fit, then you get put on a list that the AIB can pick from to give AIB dates to. If you're not fit, then you don't go on the list. Therefore, do you have an AIB date?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Welcome to RR!

There used to be a minimum weight for Royal Marines until fairly recently of 60Kg. There is currently a degree of latitude with regard this & again the ultimate decision regarding your fitness to enter the Royal Navy or Royal Marines is determined by the Medical Officer.

Good luck.