Harry and Mental Health

BradyBunch

Midshipman
Good on him I say for being open about it.
Too many are not and it causes issues.

Been serving a long time and seen people suffering with personal issues that were simply met with being labelled a shank by their peers and superiors.

About time this topic was opened up to allow serving personnel to come forward and talk about it

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

BradyBunch

Midshipman
Afghan and PTSD was all the focus. People suffer for a huge range of reason and some within the RN are very good at dismissing people who ask for help as a cry just to get out of sea time and join the hordes in Drake/Nelson/Neptune in walking the patch around the dockyard.

I admit the RM are much better at talking about this than the RN side, but that is probably due to the fact of what they have been through in the last decade or so.

the RN is getting better but too many times I have seen/heard Div Senior Rates and more so, Divisional Officers (with gold their shoulders) dismiss lads asking for help and think little of them.

I can only talk about this from what I have seen and obviously, that does not represent a wide range of the RN.

ToonPatriot

Badgeman
Well done, I say. Hopefully it will encourage more people who are suffering to come forward before it is too late.
I a lot of it comes down to the individuals close to the individuals suffering. With a good DO and good oppos stuff like this could be spotted, but a lot of the time it will take someone to ask for halp, and many people are too scared to, so hopefully this helps.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Well done, I say. Hopefully it will encourage more people who are suffering to come forward before it is too late.
I a lot of it comes down to the individuals close to the individuals suffering. With a good DO and good oppos stuff like this could be spotted, but a lot of the time it will take someone to ask for halp, and many people are too scared to, so hopefully this helps.
I'm inclined to agree that it's a good idea to highlight mental health issues and help remove the taboo.

From a recruiting perspective the service is, perhaps understandably, risk averse when it comes to those sufferers wishing to join or rejoin the service. A history of repeat or prolonged mental health issues can be problematic as the extreme operational and environmental demands of the job can increase the likelihood of recurrence. This is obviously not good for the individual or indeed those who may rely upon them to operate at 100% when under extreme duress.

ToonPatriot

Badgeman
Out of curiosity, Would somebody applying who for example, had been taking anti-depressants, be turned away or have their application looked at less favourably?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Out of curiosity, Would somebody applying who for example, had been taking anti-depressants, be turned away or have their application looked at less favourably?
Their medical history would be scrutinised and as long as they meet the eligibility criteria, processed for entry.

The rough rule of thumb is anyone joining the Armed Forces needs to be medication-free, whatever the condition. Much the same as physical injuries, repeat and/or prolonged instances make the likelihood of recurrence significantly higher.

ToonPatriot

Badgeman
Would the same apply for the reserves, as I am aware of somebody wishing to join the reserves (not Navy) who is currently in the process of coming off anti-depressants.