Harpoons

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Bergen, Jun 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know whether this made the news in UK:

A 50 ton Bowhead whale was harpooned off Alaska this Spring and the remains of a 115 year old New Bedford harpoon was found embedded in it's shoulder.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was happening in the world when this whale was harpooned the first time?; around 1892/1893:-

Well US Marines had landed in Hawaii and overthrown Queen Liliuokalana and annexed the islands.

Liverpool Football Club was formed.

Thomas Edison was being awarded patents for a two way telegraph and incandescent light-bulbs.

The British Labour Party had it's first meeting.

Rudolph Diesel patented a Compression Ignition Engine.

The first fingerprint bureau was opened [in Buenos Aries].

The flagship of the British Mediterranean fleet, HMS Victoria was in collision with the Camperdown and sank within 10 minutes, taking with her Vice-Admiral Sir George Tryon.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose that this old fella was lucky to survive for as long as he did. Bowheads were almost extinct by the start of the 20th Century.

RM

2. Bloody Ahab, no wonder he was mental kept on losing all his kit!

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I fely slightly sorry for the whale when I read this story, poor old fcuker.

4. Its a bit like the Giant Galapagos Tortoise that died recently,it was one that Darwin brought back all those years ago!!!

5. Might have been related to some of my lovely female colleagues.

NB

6. I wont tel Mr M, promise.
    Fortunately we dont have many here,yet

7. LOL

I couldn't possibly comment Messer gearing.

8. Wow this is the first I have heard about this story, was a bit of a whale geek as a kid, dont suppose anyone has a link to the actual story?

cheers!

Saxon

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It was in yesterdays Mail.

10. Here's another story about some idiots who are shooting dolphins out on the West Coast. Dolphin are naturally curious and will come right up to a boat which makes them easy to shoot.

(AP) This image provided by National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration shows a shot dolphin

[​IMG]

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Four dead dolphins have washed ashore with fatal bullet wounds and fifth with lacerations on its pectoral fin, said authorities who have offered a reward for information on the slayings.

The long-beaked common dolphins were all discovered between Carlsbad State Beach and Oceanside Harbor between May 29 and June 5. Photos showed their normally sleek gray skin mottled and stained with blood from the bullet wounds.

"It's a horrendous thing that happened," said Mark Oswell, spokesman for the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. "That someone would go out there and shoot four dolphins."

Necropsies revealed that the dolphins, which were healthy with bellies full of fish, may have been shot at the same time with the same gun. Four had between one and three bullets of the same caliber in the same part of their heads.

Federal officials say that nationwide, they normally get one report of a dolphin shooting a year. The last time San Diego reported such a death was five years ago. Before that there hadn't been one in the area since the 1960s.

"It usually turns out to be a fisherman," said Oswell, adding there have been cases when anglers take out their frustrations on dolphins and other mammals that eat their catch.

The agency is offering up to $2,500 for information on the deaths. If caught, the perpetrator could face civil penalties of up to $12,000 or a criminal fine of up to $20,000, as well as jail time.

Harassing or killing dolphins is a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, a federal law that protects seals, sea lions, dolphins, whales and other marine mammals.

RM

11. Stuff like this really winds me up, I really cannot get my head around how people can behave this way. I used to work in as an aquarist in a seal sanctuary in Norfolk, and we used to have problems there with local fishermen shooting them and the like. I realise they rely on fishing for their livelihood but bloody hell, the seals/dolphins were there long before we were! Does my head in!

Anyway, rant over, cheers for the story Bergen.

Saxon.

12. No problems Saxon - I'm in Florida at the moment and when I'm fishing out in Boca pass there is an old male dolphin that will come right up to the boat and take fish from my hand. Really neat. Meanwhile in Texas they are training cows to do the same.......LOL

[​IMG]

:thumright:

RM