Hard choice to make !

couper172

Midshipman
So I am currently working full time and have a good job making around £40k a year and being only 23 I think it’s good.

BUT I hate it and back in 2012 I tried to join the RN but failed the medical on reasons which now I can get in but at the time I was only making £13-£15k a year and the money was working out around the same.

I want to join but my big questions is after the basic wage what’s my likely wage after you get LSA and operational allowance as I don’t want to leave a good job that’s taken years to get to to then leave and try and live off £18k a year ,Also how long would it take to get to leading rate

I want to join as hate what I’m doing and i don’t want to get to an age where I can’t and look back and regret it.

I also looked at RNR but I currently do around 60 hours a week so finding the time is hard and I’m also paid on commission at work so don’t know how that works if I’m on training for a few weeks.

Any help would be great and I know most people will say only you can decide but I’m just looking for some help and information before I leave a good paying job and then find out I’ll only get £18k a year

Thanks

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Really? you hate what you are doing and still want to work 60 hours a week to do it because the money is more important.

SafferBlondie

Midshipman
Just remember that you only live once... Don't look back one day and remember all the shiny things you bought or how big your house was. Rather look back and remember the friendships you made, the adventures you went on, the countries you visited... But most of all that you could be/were part of a team that plays such an important role - more than most high paying jobs.
Money isn't everything. If you're not happy, then change. Life is way too short to not love what you do...
Goodluck with your decisions :)

Garnett94

I am in a similar situation, I am currently in the application process and I am on a considerable amount more now then I will get in the navy but I also hate my job. The reason I'm joining the Navy is for the travel and adventures, money isn't everything and the experience that I get in the Navy is worth more than money IMO.

Also when you are at sea the money you are earning will be stacking up in your bank as you won't be using it as much as you would be on land.

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Also when you are at sea the money you are earning will be stacking up in your bank as you won't be using it.
only if you are single with no monetary commitments ashore?
So if you intend to give up your high earning champagne swilling life styles for a life on the ocean waves, make sure you clear all your debts whilst you can.
You are correct the navy can offer you a life style you will not get anywhere else, if you don't like it, your shitty job may still be there?
I never had this problem, I left school and joined the navy. When I was first paid, £11 for a fortnight, I thought that's not going very far, it didn't, straight to the bowling alley and down my neck, where most of my pay went for the next 4 years, happy OD
good luck

Garnett94

only if you are single with no monetary commitments ashore?
So if you intend to give up your high earning champagne swilling life styles for a life on the ocean waves, make sure you clear all your debts whilst you can.
You are correct the navy can offer you a life style you will not get anywhere else, if you don't like it, your shitty job may still be there?
I never had this problem, I left school and joined the navy. When I was first paid, £11 for a fortnight, I thought that's not going very far, it didn't, straight to the bowling alley and down my neck, where most of my pay went for the next 4 years, happy OD
good luck
Yeah sorry, I was speaking from my point of view, I am single with no financial commitments!

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
Yeah is that not why people get out of bed in the morning to make money.
If you enjoy what you do then you don't actually work a day in your life

Some of the most boring and shallow people I've ever met are minted but they've never lived, if you really hate what you do now then move on.

Sumo

War Hero
If you enjoy what you do then you don't actually work a day in your life

Some of the most boring and shallow people I've ever met are minted but they've never lived, if you really hate what you do now then move on.
Is that why I am always scint, hang on, I am married? But I did take nearly a 30% pay drop to get a job near home, the job does not excite me, but my life out side of work is good, with less money, but much more fun.

couper172

Midshipman
thanks for all the hell im going to speak to my partner about it and see what to do if I don’t join full time I’m definitely going to RNR at least that way I get some enjoyment

Waspie

War Hero
Good job stacks of Wonga but hate it. Vs. Effing good job, (trade Dependant). Less Wonga.

Good luck on your choice. Which only YOU can make.

All I can say is the RN can be whatever you make it. You may join and hate it too. Discipline and maybe a bad trade choice.

Glad it's you making the decision.

couper172

Midshipman
I have spoken to my partner and decided money isn’t everything and sending my application away tomorrow, thinking about mine warfare so hopefully get the all clear from the medical this time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS eAlert: 15 May 2020 - working hard to provide our services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Soft power with a hard edge: harnessing the benefits of fast-moving markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action cameras help teams to inspect hard-to-reach structures MoD News 0
J Eye Test results in hard copy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Foreign Office ramps up support for ‘hard to reach’ Brits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Avoiding a hard border in Northern Ireland in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Hard as well as soft power: the case for modern defence MoD News 0
W How hard is it to become a pilot? The Fleet Air Arm 20
WannabeAdmiral Exercising on hard floors Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Jacobus Hard not to be moved by this. Vale History 1
chrismonc87 Why is it so hard to run with cold and blocked nose!! Health & Fitness 32
Merlin28 Why is a sea draft so hard to get The Quarterdeck 33
T Hard of Hearing Blue Jokes 0
BillyNoMates They're not as hard as they like to make out. Diamond Lil's 18
wet_blobby The hard working Marines on HMS Fearless... The Corps 34
X.R.D Gimme your hard earned!!! Charity 17
soleil Mail: "Hard-Up MoD Spends £9 Million On Recruitment... Despite Laying Off Staff" Current Affairs 5
soleil Mail: "One Pranged Sub Etc - How The Hard-Up MoD Wasted £110m Of Our Money" Current Affairs 5
soleil Navy News: "Commandos Keeping Insurgents In Check – But Still 'Hard Work To Be Done'" The Corps 0
The_Caretaker Hard Miscellaneous 0
C Hard Decision!!!!!! Submariners 23
stan_the_man my hard as fcuk cat Diamond Lil's 8
S Feeling hard done by History 2
M hard to reach information for new applicants The Gash Barge 2
2_deck_dash My pussy is hard as nails. Diamond Lil's 13
JonnoJonno SF hard-on thread Diamond Lil's 29
T Is Raleigh considered hard? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil 1SL defends Navy and insists Britain must keep 'hard power' Current Affairs 16
Clown_Puncher Smoking: Big, hard AND clever Diamond Lil's 23
NotmeChief ‘Todger-chop woman's sentence depends on hard evidence’ The Quarterdeck 3
K Hard Drive Help Bloody Computers 7
Montigny_La_Palisse Think Bruno's funny? He's not a patch on Hard Gay. Hooo! Diamond Lil's 7
trelawney126 Hello mum this is going to be hard for you to read Current Affairs 19
Scarface2009 find it hard to loose fat Health & Fitness 11
T Hard pressed bankers vs the rest Current Affairs 11
Oil_Slick HARD GAY MAN!!!! Diamond Lil's 5
wave_dodger ANOTHER Forces personnel hard drive missing Current Affairs 27
golden_rivet its a hard life ... :) :) :) The Quarterdeck 12
slim NOW A TAX ON HARD WORK! Diamond Lil's 15
Seaweed It's a hard life being an Israeli jet jockey Diamond Lil's 1
G Ganges62- THE HARD OF HEARING THREAD! Diamond Lil's 129
creddly Medical Tomorrow - Hard Parts Over Though... Or Is It? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
CRYSTALTIPS Personally i find this hard to believe!!!! The Gash Barge 4
golden_rivet "...this is so hard ..." Current Affairs 17
H Hard to swallow Current Affairs 9
P HARD ON Diamond Lil's 20
B YOUR HARD DRIVE Social & Reunions 10
U Choice of Base (Diver/Marines) Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Drivers of choice for vocational and technical qualifications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aims to be Africa’s partner of choice for trade and investment MoD News 0