Hard choice to make !

So I am currently working full time and have a good job making around £40k a year and being only 23 I think it’s good.

BUT I hate it and back in 2012 I tried to join the RN but failed the medical on reasons which now I can get in but at the time I was only making £13-£15k a year and the money was working out around the same.

I want to join but my big questions is after the basic wage what’s my likely wage after you get LSA and operational allowance as I don’t want to leave a good job that’s taken years to get to to then leave and try and live off £18k a year ,Also how long would it take to get to leading rate

I want to join as hate what I’m doing and i don’t want to get to an age where I can’t and look back and regret it.

I also looked at RNR but I currently do around 60 hours a week so finding the time is hard and I’m also paid on commission at work so don’t know how that works if I’m on training for a few weeks.

Any help would be great and I know most people will say only you can decide but I’m just looking for some help and information before I leave a good paying job and then find out I’ll only get £18k a year

Thanks

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Really? you hate what you are doing and still want to work 60 hours a week to do it because the money is more important.

Just remember that you only live once... Don't look back one day and remember all the shiny things you bought or how big your house was. Rather look back and remember the friendships you made, the adventures you went on, the countries you visited... But most of all that you could be/were part of a team that plays such an important role - more than most high paying jobs.
Money isn't everything. If you're not happy, then change. Life is way too short to not love what you do...
Goodluck with your decisions :)

I am in a similar situation, I am currently in the application process and I am on a considerable amount more now then I will get in the navy but I also hate my job. The reason I'm joining the Navy is for the travel and adventures, money isn't everything and the experience that I get in the Navy is worth more than money IMO.

Also when you are at sea the money you are earning will be stacking up in your bank as you won't be using it as much as you would be on land.

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
Also when you are at sea the money you are earning will be stacking up in your bank as you won't be using it.
only if you are single with no monetary commitments ashore?
So if you intend to give up your high earning champagne swilling life styles for a life on the ocean waves, make sure you clear all your debts whilst you can.
You are correct the navy can offer you a life style you will not get anywhere else, if you don't like it, your shitty job may still be there?
I never had this problem, I left school and joined the navy. When I was first paid, £11 for a fortnight, I thought that's not going very far, it didn't, straight to the bowling alley and down my neck, where most of my pay went for the next 4 years, happy OD
good luck

only if you are single with no monetary commitments ashore?
So if you intend to give up your high earning champagne swilling life styles for a life on the ocean waves, make sure you clear all your debts whilst you can.
You are correct the navy can offer you a life style you will not get anywhere else, if you don't like it, your shitty job may still be there?
I never had this problem, I left school and joined the navy. When I was first paid, £11 for a fortnight, I thought that's not going very far, it didn't, straight to the bowling alley and down my neck, where most of my pay went for the next 4 years, happy OD
good luck
Yeah sorry, I was speaking from my point of view, I am single with no financial commitments!

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
Yeah is that not why people get out of bed in the morning to make money.
If you enjoy what you do then you don't actually work a day in your life

Some of the most boring and shallow people I've ever met are minted but they've never lived, if you really hate what you do now then move on.

If you enjoy what you do then you don't actually work a day in your life

Some of the most boring and shallow people I've ever met are minted but they've never lived, if you really hate what you do now then move on.
Is that why I am always scint, hang on, I am married? But I did take nearly a 30% pay drop to get a job near home, the job does not excite me, but my life out side of work is good, with less money, but much more fun.

thanks for all the hell im going to speak to my partner about it and see what to do if I don’t join full time I’m definitely going to RNR at least that way I get some enjoyment

Good job stacks of Wonga but hate it. Vs. Effing good job, (trade Dependant). Less Wonga.

Good luck on your choice. Which only YOU can make.

All I can say is the RN can be whatever you make it. You may join and hate it too. Discipline and maybe a bad trade choice.

Glad it's you making the decision.

I have spoken to my partner and decided money isn’t everything and sending my application away tomorrow, thinking about mine warfare so hopefully get the all clear from the medical this time