HAPPY TRAFALGAR DAY

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Trafalger Day Quiz
Questions

1. Where is purportedly the largest collection of Nelson memorabilia in the New World?
2. How many siblings did Nelson have?
3. In what year was Nelson's Column erected in Trafalgar Square?
4. Which French admiral attended Nelson's funeral?
5. What was the origin of Nelson's famous term 'Band of Brothers'?
6. At which first recorded public event was the toast 'The Immortal Memory' first used?
7. What wound did Nelson receive on 12 July 1794?
8. What was unusual about Nelson's coat of arms?
9. In which English county was Nelson born?
10. From which English county were the greatest number of sailors in Nelson's Trafalgar fleet?
11. How tall was Nelson?
12. What was Nelson's nickname as a child?
13. How many men and officers served in HMS Victory at Trafalgar?
14. Name Nelson's first command in the Royal Navy.
15. Who was Josiah Nisbet?
16. How was Nelson's body preserved after his mortal wounding at Trafalgar?
17. How did the inn called 'The Wrestler's Arms' find a place in Nelson lore?
18. Which of Nelson's captains was the only one killed at the Battle of the Nile?
19. Who is Anna Tribe?
20. During his lifetime Nelson was a prolific letter writer. Approximately how many do we know of that have survived?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Trafalgar Day is / was my birthday and alchol was taken!

Dapper - any chance of posting or pm-ing the (correct) answers to your quiz, as I'd like to use it at our Pickle Night next weekend? TIA

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ya think? :)
Yep, for instance , Josiah Nesbit was the name of his wife's first husband, they had a son also called Josiah, Nelson's stepson!

Captain Locker took the Lady Lucy as a prize and gave command of it to Nelson who did a couple of patrols in it. Later on he was appointed Master and Commander of HMS Badger, so which one counts as the first command?

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yep, for instance , Josiah Nesbit was the name of his wife's first husband, they had a son also called Josiah, Nelson's stepson!

Captain Locker took the Lady Lucy as a prize and gave command of it to Nelson who did a couple of patrols in it. Later on he was appointed Master and Commander of HMS Badger, so which one counts as the first command?
You could say that. I guess that's why we have such lively debate on here!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Happy Trafalgar Day Shipmates.

Lets celebrate a time when the only things flying were cannon balls, flags and sails.

I declare a Rum Ration Splicers :)

A few years ago we took a trip up to Cape Trafalgar on 'the day' and floated a wreath and had a rum toast. It was quite spooky, as there was blasting somewhere nearby, so every so often you'd hear a booming rumble coming across the water.

As we left, two busloads of RBL turned up to pay their respects.

Great night on Saturday, we had 54 including 1 retired Air Commodore, and 2 retired Group Captains (one brought 3 original Trafalgar medals along from his vast collection, however not earned by himself) . The RNA National Chairman came along too, along with a number of RBL (ex Army). We also gave a donation to the local Sea Cadets to sponsor another Cadet to spend a week on the Royalist. Last years Royalist cadet gave a quick talk on his time aboard and coped well with the heckling of one particular drunken ex-stoker.

All in all it was a cracking night, Mrs JFH had far too much rum, wine and JD and fell asleep on the sofa, I put a quilt over her, she was fine.

Considering last year we were in the pub ready to see the manager and cancel due to lack of interest and in the 11th hour found a few more people this years event was fantastic. I can now relax and.......oh look, next year the 21st is on a Saturday, right, wheres the pubs phone number?

Latest Threads