'Happy slap' death girl convicted

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SILVER_FOX, Feb 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A 15-year-old girl has admitted filming the death of a man on her mobile phone in a so-called "happy slapping" attack.

Notwithstanding her age, I can't say that I'm particularly upset about this. Too much youth running roughshot over society and mosstly left unchecked. I just hope the trio get a decent sentence to deter others.

2. Beggars belief that they are only on a manslaughter charge. They obviously set out to damage this poor bloke as badly as they could. That must surely fit with murder?

I suspect that our lily-livered sentencing policy will mean that some weirdo will want to give the thugs a second chance, so they'll be out before the grass has had a chance to grow on his grave.

Rest in peace, mate - you deserved a better system to sweep up the detritus who killed you.
  3. Bearing in mind she is still a child at law, her sentence must necessarily be less severe than that meted out on the attackers themselves. The 19 year old should receive 7 years imprisonment, the 17 year old youth perhaps 5 years and the accomplice as a minor perhaps 2 years. Remember that the intent was not to murder the victim. Recklessness led to his death. Since the overturning of Wednesbury, recklessness in itself which leads to unintended results cannot be sufficient grounds to assume intent on the basis the perpetrator ought to have realized the possible outcome of reckless actions.
  4. 7 years? Are you mad??? Have you seen the thread reference bringing back Capital Punishment? Surely this is a prime example where hanging should be the only sentance as they even filmed themselves doing it! They committed murder whether they meant to or not, as previously mentioned they went out to do someone some serious damage.
    Despite there so called "Children in the eyes of the law" why could they not be tried as adults as they are definetly old enough to know right from wrong?
    Remember the case of poor little Jamie Bulger?
  5. The act of filming it suggests that there was intent to cause harm.

Bloody Mobile Phone generation.

6. Due to their age even their names have not been published. Time to name & shame.
  7. Thingy,

You must be having a bloody laugh mate. They deserve to be thrown in jail, key thrown away and alongside a serial rapist to be buggered for evermore.

I am sick of reading about these feral little bastards and what they get up to and then they get away with it.

As for the no intent to kill or harm? Then why bloody do it in the first place.
  8. "Yer honour, when I stabbed the gentleman in the chest, I didn't realise that I might kill him, I was just being a bit reckless, it was not my intent that he should die"

When are we as a society going to stop apologising on behalf of wrongdoers and treat them properly? These are our rules. Whether you have read them or not they still apply to you. Break them, take the consequences and, if someone dies as a result of your criminal or antisocial activity, you are going to prison for the rest of your life, with no chance of release before your death.
  9. You are quite right Brigham but sadly I think Thingy is nearer the mark when it comes to sentencing.
    If our prisons weren't full of people who would be better cared for elsewhere things could be different etc etc etc etc.
  10. IIRC, is there still a sentence "to be detained at Her Majesties pleasure ?". These seem ideal candidates for such a sentence, and might make the other toerags think a bit..