Happy days at Weymouth

taffscrivs

War Hero
Did two work-ups in Portland, Antrim as a new ship 1970 and Eskimo post refit'73. Bit hectic to say the least, but runs ashore in Weymouth were fucking ace! Walked back to Portland pissed and skint more than once, Bezy pub was The Breakwater, just outside Portland dockyard gate, always a great crowd in there, good for a laugh and the odd bout of fisticuffs, happy days indeed!

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
The meander down the seafront on Saturday afternoon. On the lookout for girls with NO sun-tan. They'd only just arrived on their Hols. The Prince Albert, that I frequented, is now called 'Finns' I see.

jesse

War Hero
I've posted this before but;- The butchers arms a few streets back? Always reminded me of The Admiral Benbow from treasure island complete with creaking sign. The decor looked as though Charles the 1st had used the place as his horse's urinals.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
The meander down the seafront on Saturday afternoon. On the lookout for girls with NO sun-tan. They'd only just arrived on their Hols. The Prince Albert, that I frequented, is now called 'Finns' I see.
Finn's now does a lot of live music, Son was playing there on Friday night.

Waspie

War Hero
I've posted this before but;- The butchers arms a few streets back? Always reminded me of The Admiral Benbow from treasure island complete with creaking sign. The decor looked as though Charles the 1st had used the place as his horse's urinals.
Long - long gone like Long John!!!!

Loved the Butchers Arms. Oldie type pub, complete with sawdust!!

onions

GCM
I think I was introduced to Scrumpy there way back in the 60's. And of course you followed the railway line back to Portland!

Jacobus

War Hero
It’s missing the Black Dog. Didn’t someone thunderflash it once. ? Improved the entrance lobby no end.

Last edited:

Wightsparker

War Hero
Weymouth, 1967. Small group of RNR from Ton class HMS Warsash escaped from Portland to sample the bright lights. Had a very small number of drinks (honest), then were barred from entering a pub ( can't remember which one) because we were matelots and would only cause trouble.

Furious? Far from it. We had been recognised as proper sailors! :)

Memory is a bit hazy but I’m sure I reserved - and sort of slept in - an armchair at Aggies in Weymouth one weekend when no rooms were available - and I think it was one of a few so I wasn’t the only one there - can’t remember what the going rate was probably a couple of shillings

Waspie

War Hero
Memory is a bit hazy but I’m sure I reserved - and sort of slept in - an armchair at Aggies in Weymouth one weekend when no rooms were available - and I think it was one of a few so I wasn’t the only one there - can’t remember what the going rate was probably a couple of shillings
Used to stay in Aggies quite often. Loved their scrambled egg!!!!

Dusty70

War Hero
yep 2/6p to sleep on the pool table - trapping in Portland - bloody silly routine, 2nd FS, were the enemy for Fost Monday to Friday - went to Portsmouth Fri pm to Monday am - would they let me off before she sailed - of course not, get to Pompey straight back on train

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scouse Buccaneers. Happy days at Lossie and on the Vic The Fleet Air Arm 4
2_deck_dash Happy days Diamond Lil's 28
B Happy Days Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth - Happy Valentine’s day! ❤️ Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Happy hour for pubs as government cuts business rates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Time-saving road marking robot makes it a happy new year for drivers MoD News 0
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16
vauxhall Happy Armed Forces Day! Finance & Pensions 4
vauxhall Another happy 70 year old Finance & Pensions 0
Sumo Happy Birthday History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Happy Anniversary DASA MoD News 0
vauxhall Another happy veteran Finance & Pensions 3
A Happy Birthday to all Royals..... The Corps 3
Sumo Scottish Ship Builders not happy Current Affairs 1
B What advice would you give to a reservist who isn't happy with his civvy job? Joining the Royal Navy 2
Sumo happy new year Diamond Lil's 28
SONAR-BENDER Happy Pickle Night! History 15
Joint_Force_Harrier HAPPY TRAFALGAR DAY History 15
MoD_RSS News story: Troops wish The Queen a happy 90th birthday MoD News 0
MG Maniac Happy New Year Current Affairs 12
BillyNoMates Happy Official Birthday H.M. the Q. Diamond Lil's 4
Sumo Happy NewYear From Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
M Happy Christmas Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
Ninja_Stoker Happy 350th Corps Birthday The Corps 6
Joint_Force_Harrier Happy Trafalgar Day Current Affairs 8
F Me I'm a happy Skipper Diamond Lil's 46
janner Happy berfday to BNM Diamond Lil's 19
AAF Happy as a pig in shite. Diamond Lil's 0
T Happy April Fools: Government orders a third carrier, HMS Princess Diana Nautical Jokes 0
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3
BFRS Happy Christmas from all at BFRS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
wet_blobby Happy Christmas RumRats Diamond Lil's 13
Ninja_Stoker Happy 349th The Corps 4
MaiBelle Happy thoughts... Diamond Lil's 88
Waspie It's a hip-happy day! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
rod-gearing Happy St Andrews Day Diamond Lil's 4
tentoes Happy Birthday! The Corps 8
tentoes Happy Birthday Joe! The Corps 4
F106 makes me happy Diamond Lil's 0
wet_blobby Happy new year peeps Diamond Lil's 13
wet_blobby Happy Christmas you fcukers. Diamond Lil's 29
Guns Happy 236th Birthday to the US Navy International 0
soleil Plymouth Herald: "Girlfriend's Cake Makes A Beret Happy Birthday" The Corps 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The Happy/Good News Thread The Gash Barge 282
soleil Happy Birthday To Scouse Castaway The Quarterdeck 14
S Not a Happy Bunny!!! Diamond Lil's 2
S Happy Birthday To WreckerL The Quarterdeck 17
tommo Happy St David's Day Diamond Lil's 11
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Are we Happy Chappies one & all? Current Affairs 3