Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy days at Weymouth

scouse

War Hero
YouTube remembering the Terminus pub, all those hip records on the jukebox:toothy10: and the holiday makers cars floating under the harbour bridge on a spring tide

Waspie

War Hero
The Terminus. Now sadly gone. Best jukebox this side of anywhere! The trains missed all because I popped in for a 'swift half' before the train!

Next stop Aggies for a bed for the weekend!

My all time favourite Weymouth boozer was the Globe. With Sooty the barman and his closing time stick, aka base ball bat. Saturday mornings would start with a woods rum and Polish Pure Spirit with a pint chaser!!! Halcyon days, now no more!!!!:blank:

MG Maniac

War Hero
Contradiction in terms "Happy Days" and "Weymoth" surely .... Oh hang on ... thats where I took the ex Mrs MG's front tooth out ... perhaps its right!

Guzzler

War Hero
As a non WAFU I have to say I loved Weymouth and Portland, partly due to the amazing, and possibly illegal, acts that Caroline from Bristol let me indulge in when I met her there a couple of times. Almost as bizarre was 'Jumpin' Jimmy Thunder', a mentalist Elvis impersonater who dressed as a sort of Jack the Ripper character, oh, and a chicken at times, in a smallish pub (may have been White Lion or Hart or similar) in the 80s. Or maybe that was the alcohol and it didn't really happen.

Guzzler

War Hero
Wrong colour, wrong creaturre, but I was close!

That'll be the chap. Thanks janner.

I really miss Weymouth as I remember it. There and Gib is just about all I miss from my time.

G

guestm

Thankfully Portland and Osprey were closed before I joined up and therefore had the misfortune to ever work there. I did however have to join a ship there once, Weymouth is a hole.

Rumrat

War Hero
I fuckin loved Weymouth.
Had some brill times there and revisited quite recently.
The joy of hanging septics to the railings outside the "steering wheel club", or taking home that little surprise to the mother-in-law, live crabs.
The Victoria bars on a Tuesday night were ace and a great place to trap Hippie/beatnik hug a tree types who protested against all except love, which they mistakenly thought shagging was part of.
The Pontins over 18 holiday camp at Lulworth cove was throbbing with lets shag a sailor for a memory types.
Osprey was one of the most casual bases I ever went in, and the Wafus who "assisted" in internal security exercises were so bombed out they were almost a vacant lot.
The boot-necks didn't seem to know or care what was happening at any given time and apart from the positioning of patrol headquarters opposite the greasy spoon not so good for getting big eats when pissed, all was great.

MG Maniac

War Hero
Didn't spend a great deal of time in Weymouth confined to the usual BOST etc ... Weymouth on a wet winter Sunday afternoon was dank ... Seem to remember the train into Weymouth going down the centre of the road ... Remember the Black Dog and the Harbour Lights(???) and a couple of pubs just outside the dock gates who's names escape me.

Work took me back a couple of times since (pre Olympics) and I didn't recognise the place although I was working in that dance hall place at the Portland end of Chessil Bank ... and yes it was still freezing cold and p*ssing down!

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
In 51/52 I used to frequent the Prince Albert. An old fashioned pub behind the seafront. Had a soft spot for the daughter of the house June. Where did those 60 years go ?

Sumo

War Hero
Had many a work up there, did WE projects at the eloquent Egdon Hall 96 before it closed and we moved to Scabby wood in 97, have some good memories of good runs in service, bar in Portland square was Vicky bar (Victoria Hotel ) last time I saw it pre Olympics it was a pool club with no ale licence, I did 8 year in Weymouth as a civvy 03 to 11managed to escape before Olympics, still liked it there even when sober, it keeps some of that old fashioned holiday seaside charm, probably due to crap roads in, trains used to go down the sea front to what is now the ferry port but stopped years ago.
I saw the senior rates mess stripped back to the main support frame and turned into flats and apartment's overlooking the old air base, the base sports hall and swimming pool handed over to the local council.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Weymouth is now best described as a Shite Hole, masses of empty shops the number of which grows on a daily basis.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scouse Buccaneers. Happy days at Lossie and on the Vic The Fleet Air Arm 4
2_deck_dash Happy days Diamond Lil's 28
B Happy Days Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth - Happy Valentine’s day! ❤️ Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Happy hour for pubs as government cuts business rates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Time-saving road marking robot makes it a happy new year for drivers MoD News 0
S Potential RFA Officers - I'm happy to share my 2019 experience of interview process, BRNC, etc. RFA 16
vauxhall Happy Armed Forces Day! Finance & Pensions 4
vauxhall Another happy 70 year old Finance & Pensions 0
Sumo Happy Birthday History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Happy Anniversary DASA MoD News 0
vauxhall Another happy veteran Finance & Pensions 3
A Happy Birthday to all Royals..... The Corps 3
Sumo Scottish Ship Builders not happy Current Affairs 1
B What advice would you give to a reservist who isn't happy with his civvy job? Joining the Royal Navy 2
Sumo happy new year Diamond Lil's 28
SONAR-BENDER Happy Pickle Night! History 15
Joint_Force_Harrier HAPPY TRAFALGAR DAY History 15
MoD_RSS News story: Troops wish The Queen a happy 90th birthday MoD News 0
MG Maniac Happy New Year Current Affairs 12
BillyNoMates Happy Official Birthday H.M. the Q. Diamond Lil's 4
Sumo Happy NewYear From Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
M Happy Christmas Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
Ninja_Stoker Happy 350th Corps Birthday The Corps 6
Joint_Force_Harrier Happy Trafalgar Day Current Affairs 8
F Me I'm a happy Skipper Diamond Lil's 46
janner Happy berfday to BNM Diamond Lil's 19
AAF Happy as a pig in shite. Diamond Lil's 0
T Happy April Fools: Government orders a third carrier, HMS Princess Diana Nautical Jokes 0
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3
BFRS Happy Christmas from all at BFRS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
wet_blobby Happy Christmas RumRats Diamond Lil's 13
Ninja_Stoker Happy 349th The Corps 4
MaiBelle Happy thoughts... Diamond Lil's 88
Waspie It's a hip-happy day! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
rod-gearing Happy St Andrews Day Diamond Lil's 4
tentoes Happy Birthday! The Corps 8
tentoes Happy Birthday Joe! The Corps 4
F106 makes me happy Diamond Lil's 0
wet_blobby Happy new year peeps Diamond Lil's 13
wet_blobby Happy Christmas you fcukers. Diamond Lil's 29
Guns Happy 236th Birthday to the US Navy International 0
soleil Plymouth Herald: "Girlfriend's Cake Makes A Beret Happy Birthday" The Corps 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The Happy/Good News Thread The Gash Barge 282
soleil Happy Birthday To Scouse Castaway The Quarterdeck 14
S Not a Happy Bunny!!! Diamond Lil's 2
S Happy Birthday To WreckerL The Quarterdeck 17
tommo Happy St David's Day Diamond Lil's 11
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Are we Happy Chappies one & all? Current Affairs 3