Happy 100th for Naval Aviation

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Joint_Force_Harrier, Jan 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now we have forgotton about our sideways walking chums 90th (Get some time in). Happy 100th to Us!!!!

Remember crabfats, your 100 year experiment will be over soon.

Get back to the rear on marches and stop bleating on how good you are, its our time for glory.

On 7 May 2009, the Royal Navy will be celebrating 100 years of Naval Aviation, on the anniversary of the date in 1909 when the Admiralty placed its first order for a Naval Airship. It was a radical shift in military thinking that was to lead to the formation of the Royal Naval Air Service, later renamed the Fleet Air Arm, and which marked the beginnings of the formidable versatility and capability of Naval Air Power.

Fly Navy 100 is a programme of centennial events running throughout 2009 aimed at raising awareness of the legacy of the Fleet Air Arm, its history and ethos and the enduring importance of Naval Air Power to our island nation.

The Fly Navy 100 website is at:

www.royalnavy.mod.uk/flynavy100

2. And a very happy 100th to the FAA from this particular Crustacean. :eek:ccasion4: :party:

I must admit though, from an outsider’s perspective, FlyNavy100 does appear to be primarily motivated to seize the PR limelight back from the RAF’s 90th in a slightly petulant sort of way.

Given that HMNA1 Mayfly was not handed over until 1911 or 1912(?) I believe, the latter the same year as Lt Samson(?) made the first take off from a ship, 2012 would appear a more appropriate year to celebrate the centenary of the FAA.

However, I sincerely hope that the celebrations go well for the FAA, premature or not. The public has far too poor an understanding of the contribution and sacrifices made by the FAA, particularly during the Battle of Britain, the Med and North African campaigns (especially Malta), Atlantic and Pacific (last VC won by a British aircrew member) and Korea. Similarly today, people too often assume that anything flying must be RAF!!

I look forward with considerable confidence to inviting you chaps to our centenary in 2018! :biggrin:

Regards,
    MM

3. We hold 4 VC s in the Fleet Air Arm :thumright: Our first was in 1915 S/LT Warneford VC . 1916 Vice Admiral Richard Bell Davies VC CB DSO AFC. 1942 LT/CDR Esmonde VC DSO . 1945 LT. R Gray VC :salut: :thumright:

4. I thought you guys had more than that actually (note that that is not a dig!).

The FAA VC that has always impressed me was Eugene Esmonde's posthumous award during the Channel Dash. Unmatched bravery flying a Swordfish into that sort of AAA and fighter defences.

Obviously such qualities were picked up during his time in the RAF!! :thumright:

One of my favourite books at home is 'For Valour' by Chaz Bowyer which details the winners and acts associated with every VC one on flying duties.

Regards,
    MM

5. "Sailor in the air "by Richard Bell Davies is a good read :thumright:

6. TVM Scouse, I may check that one out on Amazon.

To be honest, the WWII and Korean era of the FAA interests me primarily, particularly the British Pacific Fleet ops in WWII. Anyone got any recommendations of bios covering that period?

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If memory serves, Hammy Gray was RCNVR.

8. Good point Seaweed, well made!! :oops:

However, he was the last Commonwealth aircrew recipient of a VC and was of course flying in an RN Sqn off an RN carrier (I think!).

Regards,
    MM

9. Correct :thumright: and qualified as a pilot and joined the FAA in 1941 His sortie was flown from Hms Formidable 1945/ 841 sqdn Corsairs I stand corrected :salut: :thumright:

10. 1841 Sqdn scouse

11. Mutiny in Force X

12. Mutiny in Force X, by Bill Glinton

13. Correct H/C :thumright: :thumright:

14. scouse old chap, it's 1841
    "On 9 August 1945, an FAA pilot won that service's second Victoria Cross of the war. Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve pilot Lt. R.H. Gray was leading a section of No. 1841 Squadron Corsairs in a strike against Shiogama." wickopedia my ar8e."

15. :thumright: I apologise to my superior/senior :thumright:

16. No need to apologise, scouse, if some of our service senior officers had projected the FAA the way you do we might still have one.lol

17. My Fav Vice Admiral Richard Bell Davies VC CB DSO AFC http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/richard_bell_davies(1).gif.jpg

18. My great-uncle was seaman gunner on airship. Whether or not he actually flew as crew I do not lnow. However he did fly in a cockpit in front of the propellor piloted by Major Draper of under the Thames bridges fame. He was so wild that my uncle refused to fly with him (a dodgy business in WW1).. He told me that the airships were assembled at the Crystal Palace with sailors helping the girls. For some reason the practice was stopped!

19. L/T Gray VC http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/gray_grad(1).jpg

20. L/T CDR Esmonde VC second left http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/Bismarck_aircrew_rewarded(1).jpg