Hands to bathe ?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by flano, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do Royal Navy submarines ever get to do this ?

As i have seen a clip of an American boats crew doing this.

boat jumping

2. Yes we do and yes I have .

Usually in warm water area's and during transitting from one place to another . If the sea is calm and there's time to stop then the crew
    is allowed to swim over the side if they want to.

:nemo: :nemo:

3. Did it off the azores once on the way down to pootle around in the South Atlantic for a couple or three months. The water was very blue, warm and a bit deep (couldn't touch the bottom, tried as well).

It was great fun until the worlds biggest nobby turned up...we all got out then. Talk about party pooping. 'Kin 'ell it was big...all teeth and fins and definitely in charge!
    Da da...da da........dadadada........dadadadadadadadad.....DADADADADA...!!!

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Usually naked, I have a pic somewhere of the Oberons crew (donated by Sheerlegs for those that remember the miserable old sod) somewhere among my possessions. Taken in the '60's somewhere in the Far Flung. If I can find it I'll get my man to put in on the site.

5. Once had a swim over the Marianas Trench. An eerie feeling floating just below the surface and looking down knowing there was nothing but 30,000 feet of water between you and the bottom. Another time a bloke had just begun his dive off the casing when a bloody huge shark appeared. The look on his face as he tried (and failed) to regain his balance was priceless! I reckon he only got wet to the knees as he ran across the oggin and up the side of the casing!

6. Wot do you mean like this?

Hands to bathe photo by "Sheerlegs" HMS/m Oberon Far East circa 1966

[​IMG]

There ya go idoitdeeper another success from the archives of Nutty

Nutty

PS. idoitdeeper you can date the picture by the stretched aluminum 187 dome. i.e. pre fiber glass.

PPS Also did it off most of my drafts but did not have the pictures.

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well they've gotta have a bath some time... 8O :wink:

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thank you my Man!

Taken 1965/1966 probably somewhere in the South China Sea

9. I am highly concerned that this act may still be going on due to the pollution of the ocean act 1973 paragraph 9 section 4.

I do hope that when bathing in the ocean the ocean was not used for purposes other than swimming.

Yours Sincerely

Mr F. Killjoy

The most important convention regulating and preventing marine pollution by submarines is the IMO International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Submarines Act, 1973, as modified by the Protocol of 1978 relating thereto (MARPOL 73/78). It covers accidental and operational oil pollution as well as pollution by chemicals, goods in packaged form, sewage. :bball:

10. did it along side in faslane!!! we all glow and have two heads now.

11. Had a fantastic H T B in the middle o the Carib on Fearless in 1977. Was FAB

12. Thanks Nutty. I'm so pleased that you had proper washing facilities. ;) Did the soap-on-a-rope hang on the big thing sticking out (hydroplanes?)? :biggrin:

13. Lol....Those would be "Foreplanes" as well...surprised you didn't use that term... :bball:

And what's soap....?(Seawater variety)

Used to do this all the time off of St Thomas USVI or Bermuda....good thing shark sentry didn't know how to operate a FNC1... :dwarf:

14. 9 month warm water deployment last year, how many hands to bathe?? None, not one not even a fecking glimmer even when the HODS went and badgered the old man to do it he point blank refused.

How many BBQ's? None, not one.......

How many casing open to visitors???? None, not one............

15. After SSE, I'm too polite, plus the fact that I has my foreplane removed for medical reasons! ;) :lol:

Question: If those are foreplanes, what are hydroplanes? Perhaps the technical name for boats? ;)

Steve

16. Had one in the Med after a sneaky,2 guys went overboars before we had stopped so we had to go back and 'rescue' them.
    The Jimmy gave some stokers a bollocking for being naked and made them go below and put bathers on!

It was funny watching the 2 guys disappearing into the distance thru the aft periscope,they thought we went coming back.

One of them actually had an accident in his trunks so he needed to go back in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. While donking the Oberon out to Singapore in 1971 attempts were made for bathing to take place in the forward spring locker whilst underway using salt water soap.It was only partly successful as the splashed up ogin did'nt hang around long enough for a good rinse.We did have some good H2B stopped in the water and never saw a nobby.Just as well as the lookout on the fin had a .303 ready and I'm not sure wich was the most dangerous.

18. Last time for me was Aug 1990 in the kyles of lachalsh it was bloody cold.