Handler/acmn to eventual UY

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Nm94, Sep 7, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello folks,

I'm a graduate and an ex-URNU student (come on let's hear ya), but currently a training officer within the URNU organisation, teaching navigation to the kids.

I tried to join straight from uni but as many do, didn't score high enough for officer selection. Truth be told it isn't the end of the world for me. I know that at some point in my career I want to be a commissioned officer, but having spent a number of years living and working alongside junior rates on a number of ships, I've always said I'll join up regardless.

Just wondering about how often in the fleet you see handlers/acmn taking up/being offered commission, and where typically do they end up? Like I say, I'm joining up regardless, but its a goal of mine to finish my career as an officer,

Cheers,

2. Not an accurate answer but, on your way up the greasy pole, the rates/ranks of Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer and Warrant Officer are quite respectable prospects for every keen young thruster.